AP African American Studies pilot course debuts in 2022 /*full rollout in 2024-25 /* some states pull funding at the last minute

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*Will be offered in 60 high schools the first year. Here are news segments featuring educators from two of the schools
Poly in Baltimore, MD

and White Station in Memphis, TN

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

July 2022

Advanced Placement African American Studies Launches Pilot Summer Institute at Howard University​

Washington – The Howard University School of Education announced it will host the Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) from July 11-15 for the College Board’s African American studies course pilot program. Howard is the only HBCU in the country to host the Summer institutes. The School of Education is committed to attracting Black and Latinx high school teachers to the institute in an effort to increase the diversity of AP educators nationwide.
The College Board AP Program affords high school students the opportunity to earn college credit for courses taken during high school. After over a decade of interest in offering African American studies, the AP Program is conducting a two-year pilot for the course to incorporate student and teacher feedback, test and refine a robust suite of course resources, and deepen engagement with African American communities. The course will be offered in approximately 60 high schools in the first year of the pilot program and will expand to over 200 schools in its second year.

“I am excited to learn that the College Board has finally made this move. African American history, and more broadly African American studies, is an essential core body of knowledge that cannot be ignore,” said Nikki Taylor, chair of the Howard University history department. “A solid understanding of how African Americans have shaped America, its history, laws, institutions, culture and arts, and even the current practice of American democracy, sharpens all knowledge about our nation. Moreover, African American history educators tend to be very strong as a whole, so I am confident they have the expertise and skill needed to move students forward as they prepare for college.”

The proposed new course in African American studies will deepen and strengthen the AP program’s longstanding commitment to serve diverse communities with culturally relevant and challenging coursework. Both students and teachers will reap benefits from this course. Benefits include increased funding for schools serving low-income students to acquire college-level textbooks and professional development opportunities.

Educators are required to attend Summer institutes to teach AP courses. During the four-day event they will receive intensive training on the curriculum and AP teaching methods. The first day of training will conclude with an evening reception featuring guest speakers from Howard University and the College Board.
picture-1315-1566840897.jpg
“We are thrilled to welcome AP African American studies teachers to Howard, an institution that has played a pivotal role in African American history and scholarship. We are excited to partner with Howard specifically, given its leading reputation for serving Black students and educators,” said Brandi Waters, Ph.D., director of AP African American studies. “This course will offer students across the country a rigorous and inspiring introduction to African American studies, and Howard is the perfect place to begin that work

Last edited:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
As heartened as I am that this is happening, the cynic in me feels that there's gonna references like "well slavery was everywhere and American slavery was not unique in that way". :scust:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@OfTheCross

About the second tweet. What Desantis and his appointees in the Dept. of Education are doing is a flex. States' rights versus a national authority. They get to determine what gets taught in high schools in Florida, and they frame this AP course as circumventing their standards. African American History can be taught, but only in a manner and format that the Governor and his minions approve of.

We read about Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and the "Lost Cause" revising of history. We're seeing some of those elements rebooted in real time in Florida.

The Republicans have been gaming the system for a good decade +now. State legislatures, local school boards, state and federal courts full of them ready to uphold or block. Fact that their lawmakers have gotten elected indicates that good % of voters support this rolling back of time. State and local ballot question results about related topics indicate the same thing. Wind has been blowing in this direction for some time. For political reasons, Desantis is just pushing the fast forward button.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

DeSantis BANS New AP African American Studies Class Sparking OUTRAGE | Roland Martin
Jan 21, 2023
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis's administration blocked a new Advanced Placement course for high school students on African American studies.

@ 2 min mark, Florida State Representative Minority Leader Fentrice Driskell spoke with Roland Martin about DeSantis' block on AP African American studies

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

College Board officials reveal controversial African American studies course content​

CBS Mornings
Feb 1, 2023

The College Board is revealing framework for its new AP African American Studies program first on "CBS Mornings." The course will cover history and the arts and focus on primary sources over theories

Last edited:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
I see nothing wrong with the revised course, the core history is still present and only the theoretical section is reduced.
Most of the theoretical section is still up for debate, just look at this forum concerning those topics, and fairly recent. They should just be small blurbs if anything. And I do think there is a point to be made in leaving out black conservative thought. Why shouldn’t they be included as well? The previous course would have been biased.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
I see nothing wrong with the revised course, the core history is still present and only the theoretical section is reduced.
Most of the theoretical section is still up for debate, just look at this forum concerning those topics, and fairly recent. They should just be small blurbs if anything. And I do think there is a point to be made in leaving out black conservative thought. Why shouldn’t they be included as well? The previous course would have been biased.
True, but (and I'm speaking about Florida) Desantis still ain't changing his mind

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
*cued @15:55, start of discussion about the Course framework

In Class with Carr, Ep. 152: The New AP African American Studies Course Unveiled

Karen Hunter Show

Feb 4, 2023
In Session 152, Dr. Greg Carr uses the occasion of the newly unveiled ⁦ @CollegeBoard⁩ #APAfricanAmericanStudies course to revisit our ongoing discussion of curriculum and instruction by and about Africans in the United States.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
*cued @15:55, start of discussion about the Course framework

In Class with Carr, Ep. 152: The New AP African American Studies Course Unveiled

Karen Hunter Show

Feb 4, 2023
In Session 152, Dr. Greg Carr uses the occasion of the newly unveiled ⁦ @CollegeBoard⁩ #APAfricanAmericanStudies course to revisit our ongoing discussion of curriculum and instruction by and about Africans in the United States.

As much as I respect Dr. Carr he was rambling and longwinded in this lol.

Im guessing his main issue is the omission of the topics the college board removed and turning it into a regular history course without a big focus modern discussion. He also puts emphasis on it being a course not intended to “liberate” black students due to the same reasons.

He is 100% right on thats what it mainly is, a bare bones history course, but its also how every other history class ive taken in HS was oriented. We werent talking about modern topics in AP US History or AP European History, just the history. There was room for discussion in those classes depending on the teacher, but it wasnt the main focus. The college board is just forming AA history like its other history courses and I wouldnt have expected them to go beyond it with this one.

Imo opinion, as long as the core unbiased history is still there it not an issue. With the included class project, it still will provide plenty of flexibility on topics students can write and discuss which I think balances it out.

Even if the omitted topics were included, it still would have been biased, like I said before, with no sections on black conservatism and thought.