Anyone else feel like we’re in a drought of young black talent in hollywood?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That John David Washingston movie made me think. Who’s the go-to killer talent for young black males (or even women) in hollywood right now? I feel like they’ve been pushing JDW but i find him so bland and monotone in his movies. Even that movie with him and zendaya where he was supposed to really show out kind of fell flat for me, it wasn’t bad but it didn’t do what I think they thought it was doing.

Like who’s are the young talents that are gonna have that runny nose, red eyes, intense cup smacking, who’s the actual new denzel? Who’s replacing all the old talent like Cheadle, Fishburne, Samuel L Jackson, etc? Who’s going to be the one getting oscar noms for the next 20 years?

I felt like Chadwick had the glow, but it’s been slim pickings since. I feel like everytime they try and push someone they get shine for a movie or two and then fall off like the kid in that new violin movie.

feel like its just a bunch of 50+ year old British actors at this point

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Daniel Kaluuya just won an Oscar two years ago and starred in a $100 Million grossing blockbuster film last summer

Donald Glover put out not one, but TWO seasons of Atlanta last year and the series just won a second Peabody Award. He also put out the limited series Swarm on Amazon starring up and coming black actress Dominique Fishback

Issa Rae is doing her thing with the HBO series Rap shyt

Jerrod Carmichael hosted last year’s Golden Globes and also won an Emmy for his standup special

Lakeith Stanfield has two movies and a television show coming out this year.

Young black talent is out there.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Daniel Kaluuya just won an Oscar two years ago and starred in a $100 Million grossing blockbuster film last summer

Donald Glover put out not one, but TWO seasons of Atlanta last year and the series just won a second Peabody Award. He also put out the limited series Swarm on Amazon starring up and coming black actress Dominique Fishback

Jerrod Carmichael hosted last year’s Golden Globes and also won an Emmy for his standup special

I know there is plenty of talent, but im talking about actors that are gonna give earth shattering performances that make you feel. LaKeith was actually really good in that at risk youth movie he did. Then i saw him do anther movie with a Jamaican accent and it was quite horrible.

Daniel Kaluuya is kinda inconsistent as well, i really didn’t like him as Fred Hampton at all.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I’d argue the opposite honestly. From the acting front to those behind the camera, there’s a lot of black talent these days. And most importantly, they’re all doing their own thing. Denzel is one of a kind, there will never be another actor like him. @Ziggiy already broke it down but I’ll add my piece.

-MBJ directed his first feature film and released it last March to a global success.

-Halle Bailey is blowing up right now with all of the Little Mermaid press and will become even bigger after it drops.

-Zendaya is one of the hottest names out right now. I know some folks clown her on this forum but she puts on Emmy performances every season in Euphoria.

-Kelvin Harrison Jr., who I think is still slept on, put on a showcase in Chevalier just recently.

-Carmichael went from standup to landing a starring role in Yorgos Lanthimos’ next joint this Fall.

-Quinta Brunson popped off last year with Abbott Elementary and seems to be getting more roles now. Not only that, but her show puts the spotlight on key supporting cast members like Tyler James Williams and Janelle James.

-Majors was on a serious hot streak until the legal issues. I’m definitely checking out Magazine Dreams whenever it (if ever) drops. His performance in that one was lauded hard apparently.

Then you got directors like Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, Gina Prince-Bythewood, Nia DaCosta. I could keep listing other talent.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’d argue the opposite honestly. From the acting front to those behind the camera, there’s a lot of black talent these days. And most importantly, they’re all doing their own thing. Denzel is one of a kind, there will never be another actor like him. @Ziggiy already broke it down but I’ll add my piece.

-MBJ directed his first feature film and released it last March to a global success.

-Halle Bailey is blowing up right now with all of the Little Mermaid press and will become even bigger after it drops.

-Zendaya is one of the hottest names out right now. I know some folks clown her on this forum but she puts on Emmy performances every season in Euphoria.

-Kelvin Harrison Jr., who I think is still slept on, put on a showcase in Chevalier just recently.

-Carmichael went from standup to landing a starring role in Yorgos Lanthimos’ next joint this Fall.

-Quinta Brunson popped off last year with Abbott Elementary and seems to be getting more roles now. Not only that, but her show puts the spotlight on key supporting cast members like Tyler James Williams and Janelle James.

-Majors was on a serious hot streak until the legal issues. I’m definitely checking out Magazine Dreams whenever it (if ever) drops. His performance in that one was lauded hard apparently.

Then you got directors like Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, Gina Prince-Bythewood, Nia DaCosta. I could keep listing other talent.

I’m speaking specifically of acting chops. Jonathan majors did have the spark, and Kelvin Harrison Jr is who i was referring to in the OP. He seems like he does a lot of smaller movies but im wondering if he’ll ever get a major breakout hit.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
In terms of "IT" factor, Damson Idris got next.

Brian Tyree Henry has been getting work though.

I hope Amin Joseph (Uncle Jerome) will get a look as well.

On the female side, Zendaya's Euphoria & Malcolm and Marie - she might actually get some decent roles.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
idk about a “drought”…black roles in h’wood have always been limited…and there’s always been a small pool of black actors/actresses who get those roles and we know why

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Agree with all the names/comments mentioned already.

Have to mention Danielle Deadwyler who killed it in The Harder They Fall/Station 11

Lashana Lynch (British, but killed it in The Woman King) and Thuso Mbedu who killed it in the Woman King as well.

Jharrel Jerome - has that Boots Riley series on deck

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Lashana Lynch (British, but killed it in The Woman King) and Thuso Mbedu who killed it in the Woman King as well.

She came off as unlikeable in Bond (probably because they wroter her that way).

I'm reminded of that scene in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
That John David Washingston movie made me think. Who’s the go-to killer talent for young black males (or even women) in hollywood right now? I feel like they’ve been pushing JDW but i find him so bland and monotone in his movies. Even that movie with him and zendaya where he was supposed to really show out kind of fell flat for me, it wasn’t bad but it didn’t do what I think they thought it was doing.

Like who’s are the young talents that are gonna have that runny nose, red eyes, intense cup smacking, who’s the actual new denzel? Who’s replacing all the old talent like Cheadle, Fishburne, Samuel L Jackson, etc? Who’s going to be the one getting oscar noms for the next 20 years?

I felt like Chadwick had the glow, but it’s been slim pickings since. I feel like everytime they try and push someone they get shine for a movie or two and then fall off like the kid in that new violin movie.

feel like its just a bunch of 50+ year old British actors at this point
Chadwick would have been 47 this year

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
We're more IP centric than star centric these days. Even Marvel actors fall back into obscurity.

John Boyega is still only 31. Denzel didn't make Glory until he was 35 in 1989.

There's a lot of talent a lot, never enough and not always in the right position, but they're out there.

And JDW is as talented as any of em and only 38.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I strongly disagree

In hollywood, we have the following men leading or having integral roles in dramatic parts, and all have hits they were a huge part of, as well as respected performances:

Jonathan Majors

Damson Idris
Damson-Idris-5-Things-SS-ftr.jpg

MBJ
Michael-B-Jordan.jpg

Daniel Kaluuya
Daniel-Kaluuya.jpg

John David Washington
John-David-Washington.jpg

Donald Glover
Donald-Glover.jpg

John Boyega
John-Boyega.jpg

Tyler James Williams
Tyler-James-Williams.jpg

Aldis Hoge
Aldis-Hodge.jpg

Oshea Jackson Jr
OShea-Jackson-Jr..jpg

Lakeith Stanfied
Lakeith-Stanfield.jpg

Winston Duke
WInston-Duke.jpg

Bryan Tyree Henry
Brian-Tyree-Henry.jpg

Trevante Rhodes
Trevante-Thodes.jpg

suggest others that I might have forgotten.

How would you compare this era of black dramatic actors, to those in the previous generation [like, larenz tate, cuba gooding jr, Omar Epps, wood harris, taye diggs, Mekhi Phifer, Bokeem Woodbine, Jamie Foxx, etc]?

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
Daniel Kaluuya

British :mjpls:

Old :flabbynsick:

Old :flabbynsick:

Who? :gucci:

Ain’t that the weirdo who threatened Charlemagne with a gun :patrice: