Anyone else besides me hoping Blade Runner 2049 will be a modern day classic

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I hope all movies are great, so yeah.
Came in to say the same thing. I legit hope every movie that comes out is a modern classic :pachaha:. Like h obestky can you imagine if all the movies that came out were consistently great? That would be like a dream

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I have found DV's movie over rated and generally simple movies praised as if they are groundbreaking or intelligent.
He has a excellent visual style, his movies lack heart generated by having good intelligent characters and solid ploting.
Thats my opinion though.
I hope this movie is good, but I will go in with low expectations.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
What does this even mean? Care to elaborate?
his movies lack heart or emotional connection (to me) that comes from having good characterizations, characters that act intelligently or in a consistant logical manner with their goals or aspirations, and good understandable plotting.
Does this help?

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
his movies lack heart or emotional connection (to me) that comes from having good characterizations, characters that act intelligently or in a consistant logical manner with their goals or aspirations, and good understandable plotting.
Does this help?
Arrival? Prisoners? You aren't emotionally involved with those? Arrival is fukking beautifully sad. Prisoners is brutal and depressing. I just don't agree with your assessment at all. How do his characters act illogically?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Arrival? Prisoners? You aren't emotionally involved with those? Arrival is fukking beautifully sad. Prisoners is brutal and depressing. I just don't agree with your assessment at all. How do his characters act illogically?
I thought the general plotting of Arrival was juvenile, especially the concept of a time traveling language. I've gone over this in the Arrival Thread.
Prisoners is a terrible movie to me, heavy with over acting from Jackman and similar story told better (but even it having terrible plotting in the end) in Gone Baby Gone. I felt no emotional connection to anyone in the movie,
If you don't agree fine, I'm saying my opinion, and you seemed to indicate in your reply to my post that you didn't understand what I wrote, not that you disagreed, so that is the route I went with.
Acting illogically, the whole concept of enemy is built on a premise of people acting in a manner divorced from reality. I guess the supposed point would be its all in the man's head and he is battling another personality, but that would simply just put the movie in pretentious mode that fails to be clear and thinks intelligence comes from obscurity.
Arrival is based on a flawed concept, and a flawed premise that alein wouldn't translate their language off the bat, or communicate directly. Again I go into this in detail in the arrival thread.
Sicario, is based on a illogical character that he would have us believe a FBI agent isn't aware the us government is dirty and involved in criminality. The lead character is too stupid and illogical to even be believable in the position that she is in.
Prisoners, might have been the most logically plotted movie he directed, but again the characters themselves didn't click with me.

Like I said he is an excellent visual stylist, one of the best technical directors in this day, taking the lead from Bay and Cameron (the faded GOAT), but his movies are flawed with me on the human level

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I thought the general plotting of Arrival was juvenile, especially the concept of a time traveling language. I've gone over this in the Arrival Thread.
Prisoners is a terrible movie to me, heavy with over acting from Jackman and similar story told better (but even it having terrible plotting in the end) in Gone Baby Gone. I felt no emotional connection to anyone in the movie,
If you don't agree fine, I'm saying my opinion, and you seemed to indicate in your reply to my post that you didn't understand what I wrote, not that you disagreed, so that is the route I went with.
Acting illogically, the whole concept of enemy is built on a premise of people acting in a manner divorced from reality. I guess the supposed point would be its all in the man's head and he is battling another personality, but that would simply just put the movie in pretentious mode that fails to be clear and thinks intelligence comes from obscurity.
Arrival is based on a flawed concept, and a flawed premise that alein wouldn't translate their language off the bat, or communicate directly. Again I go into this in detail in the arrival thread.
Sicario, is based on a illogical character that he would have us believe a FBI agent isn't aware the us government is dirty and involved in criminality. The lead character is too stupid and illogical to even be believable in the position that she is in.
Prisoners, might have been the most logically plotted movie he directed, but again the characters themselves didn't click with me.

Like I said he is an excellent visual stylist, one of the best technical directors in this day, taking the lead from Bay and Cameron (the faded GOAT), but his movies are flawed with me on the human level
:scust::scust::scust:

I'm disgusted by these opinions

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
his movies lack heart or emotional connection (to me) that comes from having good characterizations, characters that act intelligently or in a consistant logical aspirations, and good understandable plotting.
Does this help?

Why you act like he's writing the movie, hes only directing it... characterization comes from the writer, who by the way wrote the original Blade Runner script :blessed:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Why you act like he's writing the movie, hes only directing it... characterization comes from the writer, who by the way wrote the original Blade Runner script :blessed:
Directors have way more authority in a movie than a writer, you know that if you follow the movie biz.