Anybody watching this documentary "State of play: Trophy kids" right now?

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
is there an update to these kids lives? I need to watch this again since y'all upped the thred

I also would like to see where these kids are now and if they still talk to their parent. if anyone has updates

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Yo this documentary is making me mad tho.

shyt is reminding me why if I ever see my mom's ex-husband again it's a fade on sight. :demonic:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
I was rewatching this yesterday on HBO on demand. They all were shytty but I really hated the football dad. His son wasn’t especially talented nor did he even seem passionate about football. But he kept pushing him and saying stuff like “oh I’m doing all this FOR YOU....this is true love, me getting up to train with you, what I’m doing FOR YOU”. He even said “I’m not getting anything out of this” because his son wasn’t playing well. Not getting anything out of spending time with your son? Then when the kid said typical teenage stuff (I don’t want to talk about my girlfriend issues, blah blah), the father acts like his son just challenged his manhood, berates him til he cries, and then plays it off like “oh I’m just building his confidence”. What a POS.

The tennis mom was a wacko. There was even one scene where it looked like the kids were laughing at her. The basketball dad was most likely just embarrassing his son with his freakouts in the stands, although it was kind of funny. The other basketball dad sucked too. The golf dad? ‍♂️ He got an Asian wife in hopes of creating another Tiger Woods :mjlol:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
I tried to find some stuff online to see how they are now:

Amari Avery, the golf girl:
Yahoo is now part of Oath

Derek Biale, the white basketball kid with the dad who used to have all those businesses:
Interview with Derek Biale from “State of Play: Trophy Kids”

Ian Fox, the other basketball kid, with the dad who helped get the coach fired:

Was a benchwarmer at Cal-State Fullerton and left the team. He had played 3 games at Idaho State a couple years before and didn’t have success
Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men's basketball team - Daily Titan
Ian Fox College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Blake and Tanner Suard, the tennis kids with the wacko mom, they lost in some event here. The kid Blake wasn’t ranked very highly in HS as a recruit, so i guess God decided to let some other kid be great at tennis.
Player Overview - Blake Suard
SDSU MEN'S TENNIS COMPETES AT PACIFIC COAST DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Justus Moore, the football kid with the abusive a$$hole father. He has an IG Page, I didn’t see anything there about sports. Just a bunch of pics with white girls.

I think this article from 1992 is about the father:
His Decision to Settle on Seattle Has Brought Satisfaction : Football: Former West Torrance High player Josh Moore has been to two Rose Bowls and played on a national championship team at Washington.

Last edited: