Anybody watching Cedric the Entertainer/Schmidt and Damon Wayans Jr shows on Monday nights?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Hmm, I’m watching this Cedric one and it’s terrible. More black people explaining black life to white people (as if we don’t get this on blackish, Carmichael show did it too), acting is dry, jokes are corny...,maybe I gotta give it another shot since other replies in here say it’s decent to good.
Oldheads, Did the black sitcoms we grew up on that whites/non-blacks watched (i.e. Fresh Prince, Cosby Show, Family Matters, & etc) do the same thing or nah?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Oldheads, Did the black sitcoms we grew up on that whites/non-blacks watched (i.e. Fresh Prince, Cosby Show, Family Matters, & etc) do the same thing or nah?

They talked about black life. They may go into a rant or monologue about the civil rights movement. But straight up explain? Nah, I don't think so. In fact, the only show out of that list that really falls into that category is Fresh Prince. And it was more Will playing into stereotypes than anything else.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
They talked about black life. They may go into a rant or monologue about the civil rights movement. But straight up explain? Nah, I don't think so. In fact, the only show out of that list that really falls into that category is Fresh Prince. And it was more Will playing into stereotypes than anything else.
Will never played into stereotypes, and the few early episode that did focus on him being more street were accented by something surprising about him - such as playing classical piano.

Anyway @satam55 no, the old sitcoms didn’t explain being black to white people. They lived black experiences and through the unfolding of the episode you were exposed to the black experience. These new shows blatantly are set up to say “hey white people, this is how life is as a black person” instead of letting the situation of the episode show how life is.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Will never played into stereotypes

full

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Decided to give The Neighborhood a try mainly because of the casts

I am pleasantly surprised… I had very low expectations but I laughed a lot more than I expected.

The blackity black talk does get a lil annoying though

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
That trash show was predictably dreaded quickly lol, and it's replacement was Bob Heart's Abishola....which I have found surprisingly more funny than I would have guessed

The Neighborhood is dope. It's just weird that Tichina Arnold has absolutely no black friends. Ced has had several brothas around, but they no longer hang around anyone but the white neighbors? Last episode they had her birthday party with nobody but the white couple and their son:heh:

Last edited: