Anybody using the PlayStation Passkey feature?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Old Head Question:

Should I use this if I gameshare with 2 of my sons? :flabbynsick:
Passkeys are mostly about using biometrics to login. I will say when I logged in on my PS5 it sent a notification to my mobile PS app to log me in so I guess it would be possible.

Deezay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
These Kids
Passkeys are mostly about using biometrics to login. I will say when I logged in on my PS5 it sent a notification to my mobile PS app to log me in so I guess it would be possible.
Cool.
Thanks, breh

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Because a passkey requires a device to authenticate you. A password can be stolen and used by anyone. A passkey can't. When it's made there is a public portion and a private portion. The private part is only on your device. If a website gets hacked the hackers can't get the private part required to get into your account because the site doesn't have it. You don't remember anything for a passkey and it can't be fished.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
A passkey is typically tied to a device you own like a cell phone or PC that has some sort of biometrics on it to secure it. You go to the website and use your Face ID, Windows Hello, or fingerprint scanner to log on. That effectively replaces you using a password.

There are weak links. You can attach your password to Windows Hello on a PC with only a pin and get into certain password managers and you can go on their website and use your email to reset your account and if that email doesn't use a passkey you still have a password in the chain.