Anybody Checkin' For Dive Kick?

Kodie

Pro
Daps
:dahell: Da fuq is this shyt?

:wtf:

Can someon give me a rundown of what's going on here
This game is controlled completely by two buttons. No directions. The two buttons are called Dive and Kick. When you press dive on the ground you "dive into the air" (aka jump) and when you press kick in the air your character performs a dive kick towards the opponent. Each of the characters have a different jump height and speed as well as a different kick angle and speed. Some characters have special properties in their jumps or kicks (for example S-Kill "teleports" when he jumps). In addition if you press kick while you're on the ground it'll hop you backwards allowing you to retreat. Most characters can kick from the hopback. Finally, each character has two unique specials. One is activated by pressing D+K on the ground, the other is activated by pressing D+K in the air. Dr. Shoals, for example, has a "Fly" special. By pressing D+K in the air she suddenly stops in midair cancelling her jump or kick action. In fly mode, you can press D to move forward or K to move back or D+K to unfly. This uses up your special meter. Combine all of these unique attributes, and the matchups become pretty important to know. But at the end of day, good reflexes and spacing can get you really far.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This game is controlled completely by two buttons. No directions. The two buttons are called Dive and Kick. When you press dive on the ground you "dive into the air" (aka jump) and when you press kick in the air your character performs a dive kick towards the opponent. Each of the characters have a different jump height and speed as well as a different kick angle and speed. Some characters have special properties in their jumps or kicks (for example S-Kill "teleports" when he jumps). In addition if you press kick while you're on the ground it'll hop you backwards allowing you to retreat. Most characters can kick from the hopback. Finally, each character has two unique specials. One is activated by pressing D+K on the ground, the other is activated by pressing D+K in the air. Dr. Shoals, for example, has a "Fly" special. By pressing D+K in the air she suddenly stops in midair cancelling her jump or kick action. In fly mode, you can press D to move forward or K to move back or D+K to unfly. This uses up your special meter. Combine all of these unique attributes, and the matchups become pretty important to know. But at the end of day, good reflexes and spacing can get you really far.
:ohhh:

:wow:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yeah......I'm gonna pass.

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Here is Markman on NeoGAF explaining the intricacies of his character (I think his character is probably the second or third most complex)

Hello everyone. This may seem weird? But I'm MarkMan and I would like to share some information on the character 'Markman' in Divekick!

Markman has forward moving divekick arc, similar to Kung Pao. His kick startup is not instant and is a bit slower than most characters. Markman has tools to help makeup for his kick startup, including his ability to zone/create space with his items (which have random effects), and a just frame kick (EWGF - Electric Wind God Foot) that comes out almost instantly with an increased hitbox). He also has his kickback feint aerial skill that allows him to backdash in the air and create space/opportunity to bait out/punish if needed.

Markman's Ground Ability - Item Search

When on the ground, this meterless ability allows Markman to scavenge the surrounding area for items. The items serve as an advantage/hazard for BOTH players, so please be aware. The item generation is random and can consist of the following items:

• Part for the Kick Box (First you get the base, then the yellow button, then the blue button) - Once you have all 3, you will have 8 seconds in 'Precision Control Mode' that allows you to perform an upkick. The upkick, is just as it is stated an upward kick that can be used as a rushdown tool or an anti air. The possibilities of it's use are endless and Markman can continuously cancel his divekick into upkicks into divekicks and so forth (as long as he has meter). The more you use the upkick cancel the faster your Kickbox meter depletes. If Markman is headshot, hit, or double KO'd while in 'Precision Control Mode' then he loses any remaining meter in the next round
  • Glue - If Markman or his opponent step in the glue, they will be stuck there for about a second. Leaving them vulnerable and unable to dive.
  • Spring - If Markman or his opponent step into the spring it will cause them to be forced into an auto jump state where they will have to kick to get off the Spring. Some characters will be greatly disadvantaged if they step on the Spring, such as Redacted, who has too much gravity/not enough momentum to kick off and will be pretty much dead if they step square on the Spring.
  • Oil - The oil acts as a slip and slide and if Markman or his opponent step/land into the oil they are able to use the additional momentum to add to their jump arc and seemingly alter the trajectory of their dive prior to kick activation.
  • Black Hole - The black hole is placed on the ground and allows Markman or his opponent to travel through space by dropping through the endless ceiling and into the stage endlessly until they kick out.
  • Chemicals - The chemical green cloud forms after it hits the ground. Anyone touching this cloud will lose all meter gradually.

Items will disappear over time or instantly if another item is called out in it's place.

Markman's Air Ability - Feint

With enough meter, Markman can cancel a divekick into a backdash in the air anytime during the kick animation. This can be used to bait people out or to make moves safer/get out of the way. After the feint is performed, Markman can initiate another kick to gain forward ground momentum.

Markman's precision moves - Just Frames

Markman has two just frame moves. Just frames are moves that require frame specific timing/execution in order to pull them off successfully. Markman's two abilities are the EWGF (Electric Wind God Food) and backdash.
  • EWGF - Markman can perform a super fast divekick with an increased hitbox. You can tell it's an EWGF by the sound and visual lightning surrounding Markman's kick. This is performed at the apex of Markman's dive/jump. At the height of his jump, hit the kick button to perform this move. It can be done at varied heights and is useful for covering ground as well.
  • Backdash - Markman can perform a backdash as he lands from a normal dive. If you hit dive right before you land, Markman will perform a backstep to create more ground between him and the opponent.
If there are any questions/comments. Please let me know.

Here are some videos with my Markman gameplay and I encourage you to upload yours!

And here's a ridiculous S-Kill mirror match:

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah......I'm gonna pass.
It's just a funny kind of game breh.

I'm going to try it out as a party game when I have a lot of people over. I mean it's only 2 buttons so that shouldn't be too complicated for anybody to pick up and play. Specifically women and dudes who don't game like that.

Ill-Mind

Midwest Moonwalker
Daps
Another game that's been pre-hyped by the SRK community that probably will be dead in two weeks if it ain't dead already :beli:

Looks like a fun game tho