Any wrestling books or documentary worth checking out

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
I was thinking about getting Mick Foley book, but then I thought most of the content is probably stuff I already knew, saw, or something I could find in another documentary. I don't know if that's actually true or not, but I was wondering if anyone definitely knew of some books that had some insight you wouldn't see anywhere else. If that's just not a thing, any stuff you just liked in general ?

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Book wise:

91FCk+awj+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Real good read even though dude cap a bit involving his time in WWE and his barbed wire match with Terry Funk. But overall, its a dope book discussing Sabu's upbringing and his wrestling career.

s-l1200.webp

Enjoyed this book as it goes into depth of what Brody was all about and his tragic end of his life.

51RgrartJhL.jpg

Classic fukkery :ohlawd:

51alQavgWpL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Real good book and insight of Booker's upbringing and his earlier time in WCW. His second book was okay but too WWE'ish for my taste.

As far as Docs:

• Wrestling With Shadows (If you want to get the real deal on the Montreal Screwjob)
  • Darkside of The Ring (The whole series covers the craziness of professional wrestling and the wrestlers in it)
  • The Lapsed Fan Podcast (A must-listen to not only hear the scoops of wrestling events from the past, but fukkery driven content involving the Chairman)
  • Angle- Well worth the watch if you are a fan of Kurt Angle

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
The Lapsed Fan Podcast (A must-listen to not only hear the scoops of wrestling events from the past, but fukkery driven content involving the Chairman)
Highly recommend this. They are marks for themselves (in a way that doesn't bother me) but some people can't get over it. But they've covered or will cover basically everything important that has ever happened in wrestling; Steroid Trial, Montreal Screwjob, the Von Erichs, etc. Right now they just started covering the life and career of Terry Funk.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Highly recommend this. They are marks for themselves (in a way that doesn't bother me) but some people can't get over it. But they've covered or will cover basically everything important that has ever happened in wrestling; Steroid Trial, Montreal Screwjob, the Von Erichs, etc. Right now they just started covering the life and career of Terry Funk.
I can get past them marking for themselves. I just wish they learned brevity and didn’t have to make every episode 4 hours minumum. I would legit pay for Patreon if they released condensed versions of the episodes.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
As far as the thread I would recommend:

-Brian Gerwitz book There's Just One Problem. Has some great stories about the behind the scenes operations of WWF and some funny ass stories. Only disappointment is that he's either a genuinely nice guy and has very little to say about anyone or he's not wanting to burn bridges cause it's a little too positive at all times and goes out of his way not to bury anybody.

-Foley's first two were great. The third and fourth good but not as great.

-Bret's has some great inside info but hard to get through. Surprised he was able to have a free hand to write the book with how much he pats himself on the back throughout. Also the way he casually talks about all his cheating makes him sound like a POS. But great stories throughout.

-Jericho's first two were good but a little too much white boy humor for my liking which detracts from it some.

-I enjoyed both of Jim Ross' books. I wish he went more in depth on some of the stories and felt like it skipped over some major moments through history but still some amazing stories.

-Gary Hart's is a must read as he talks about WCCW and a little bit of how WCW was working during that time. Great stories and inside information about the downfall of WCCW and mainly the Von Erichs and Gino Hernandez.

-Death Of WCW is a must read.

-I loved the Titan trilogy by James Dixon. Talks about the fall and rise of WWF during the Kliq years.

bear27

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If you can find it to download

Get Gary Harts book

It's fire
Like a history lesson(if a little self serving, but we talking bout carrnes so expected)

Memphis Heat for documentary.

Or the world class doc already mentioned in here

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
  • Angle- Well worth the watch if you are a fan of Kurt Angle

Made me mad I didn't have him higher on my list when he was active

I liked him and though he was a good heel

I didn't appreciate his in-work ring

And the broken freakin' neck story is one of the dopest sports stories I ever heard

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Made me mad I didn't have him higher on my list when he was active

I liked him and though he was a good heel

I didn't appreciate his in-work ring

And the broken freakin' neck story is one of the dopest sports stories I ever heard

I feel the same way. Growing up I was like "meh..give me Beenwah or Melenko". But once you get older and seen what dude put himself through. Like the man took pain killers like eating pringles, wrestled classic matches from WWE to TNA, and still somehow managed to have heads go "GOAT" :hubie:

That doc alone opened my eyes to how amazing Angle was and a complete package from entertainment factor, wrestling steez, and just the aura of dude.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I feel the same way. Growing up I was like "meh..give me Beenwah or Melenko". But once you get older and seen what dude put himself through. Like the man took pain killers like eating pringles, wrestled classic matches from WWE to TNA, and still somehow managed to have heads go "GOAT" :hubie:

That doc alone opened my eyes to how amazing Angle was and a complete package from entertainment factor, wrestling steez, and just the aura of dude.

He also shows how important regulation is

Dude had no reason to feel scared to miss a year or so

He was just indoctrinated from a young age, as a competitor, to "GO! GO! GO!"

Plus, a lot of competitive stuff covered his pain of losing his Dad, his mentor...shyt, he did a Iron Man Match after hearing his sister OD'd

He needed to be saved from himself and I think it was cool that Vince tried to force him to rehab, but, I that has to be ironed out earlier

Give the superstars some grace so they don't have to kill themselves to stay on TV, especially someone as dope as Kurt

Granted, it's a lot of personal choices on his part, but, that stood out to me

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
He also shows how important regulation is

Dude had no reason to feel scared to miss a year or so

He was just indoctrinated from a young age, as a competitor, to "GO! GO! GO!"

Plus, a lot of competitive stuff covered his pain of losing his Dad, his mentor...shyt, he did a Iron Man Match after hearing his sister OD'd

He needed to be saved from himself and I think it was cool that Vince tried to force him to rehab, but, I that has to be ironed out earlier

Give the superstars some grace so they don't have to kill themselves to stay on TV, especially someone as dope as Kurt

Granted, it's a lot of personal choices on his part, but, that stood out to me

Him finding out his sister OD'd and still managed to pull a blassic with Brock just whew....if I had a hat I would tilt that shyt. This is why I love the sport of professional wrestling. Right now, its going through goofy odd shyt, but just the fact that wrestlers like Angle manage to focus on the craft and leave a legacy just...wow man.

:wow: