Andre 3000 single-handedly changed American culture

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Andre has nothing to do with that. He essentially introduced actually dressing like a grown man to some of these dudes. Remember when everyone from 10 year olds to 50 year old dudes were rocking throwback jerseys? dikkey suits? Jumpers/ XXXXL shirts? Not popping :shaq:

True...but it spun out of control real quick and gave birth to some of the wack shyt we see now.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
People act like Kanye started that shyt with 808s. He may have introduced the new gen to it, but let's not forget the entire mainstream music industry co-signed The Love Below; that shyt even got album of the year at the Grammys.

Common's Electric Circus and Mos Def's New Danger also deserve some recognition. I don't think they were great albums, but they moved hip hop to the left and changed the conversation.

:comeon:

The year after Love Below dropped, so did Kanye's debut. That was probably the biggest influence.

Questlove on Kanye:
Kanye was there and, at the time, he was just, like, Usher's opening act. But watching him control his marching band, I knew instantly that he was going to make noise-- just seeing how passionate his black audience was towards him. Of course, every demographic in every sector of the Roots' graph was anything but inner-city black youth. So seeing that power Kanye had, I thought, "Wow. This is when we're gonna hand the baton to him, and he's going to be the new leader."

Kanye made the whole "non-gangsta" attire cool for black kids. Common, Pharrell and Dre might have made it cool for him but still.

OutKast & Andre ARE OutKast's. They are the only ones from there movement to really make noise (Cee-Lo blew when the mainstream didn't know of the affilliation). Their success and influence was seen as isolated. Dre had been on that alternative tip since '98 but the change didn't happen till post '04, probably '07.

Kanye dropped multi multi-platinum albums and ended 50's reign. Common dropped 2 gold albums. Lupe's sophomore went Gold.

Andre & Pharrell (Common, Mos Def) too, also influenced the swing. However Kanye is the only one to achieve Rap Mega-Star status e.g. several platinum albums, headlining big tours, introduce new acts, hop on remixes and features etc.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
Dre ain't the revolutionary artist he would like you to think.

All he did was shark George Clinton, Sly Stone, Prince etc.

The Love Below is average as fukk. The only way you'd be impressed by that shyt is if you listen to nothing other than hip hop.

Even his fashion is a throwback to the P-Funk era.

And every single Kanye album is better than The Love Below. Even 808s shyts all over it. fukk that overrated ass album.

False. Most people i know that only listen to hip-hop HATED TLB

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sadly it is

cee-lo-gnarls-barkley-1.jpg

http://cdn.necolebytchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/gnarls-226-thumb-473x315.jpg

:sadbron:

I'm a girl and don't even know what to think about that.

SMH... Dude makes good musuc, but tries way to hard to be different. This is a common theme amongst musicians today. They need to knock it off. Prince and MJ were weird and they pulled shyt off effortlessly. You would never catch either of them in some shyt like this.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dre ain't the revolutionary artist he would like you to think.

All he did was shark George Clinton, Sly Stone, Prince etc.

The Love Below is average as fukk.

him "sharking" funk artists' for their funk doesn't depreciate the value of The Love Below, the album is just dope.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
him "sharking" funk artists' for their funk doesn't depreciate the value of The Love Below, the album is just dope.

I agree The Love Below is a dope album but he is getting a bit overrated here for influence on American culture as a whole.

He gets props for making great music but thats where it stops for me personally. I didn't know anyone trying to be 'Andre 3000' or anything.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
Sadly it is

cee-lo-gnarls-barkley-1.jpg

http://cdn.necolebytchie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/gnarls-226-thumb-473x315.jpg

:sadbron:

I'm a girl and I don't even know what to say about that. :scusthov:

1. Didnt know u were a girl
2. They always tryin to put a black man in a fukkin dress. Its disgusting...his career exploded after that too.

Chappelle was right ya'll :to:

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
False. Most people i know that only listen to hip-hop HATED TLB

I just can't see how if you've heard albums like There's A Riot Goin' On, 1999, Maggot Brain or Inspiration Information, you could act like The Love Below is some incredible musical achievement. At best it's throwback/tribute to that music, the same way the like's of Statik Selectah release dry ass boom bap music.

The problem with Dre is that while he might have the spirit of those legendary artists, he doesn't have the talent as a songwriter or the chops as a musician to make interesting non-hip hop music.

He can deny it all he wants, but his real talent is rapping.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
:comeon:

The year after Love Below dropped, so did Kanye's debut. That was probably the biggest influence.

Questlove on Kanye:
Kanye was there and, at the time, he was just, like, Usher's opening act. But watching him control his marching band, I knew instantly that he was going to make noise-- just seeing how passionate his black audience was towards him. Of course, every demographic in every sector of the Roots' graph was anything but inner-city black youth. So seeing that power Kanye had, I thought, "Wow. This is when we're gonna hand the baton to him, and he's going to be the new leader."

Kanye made the whole "non-gangsta" attire cool for black kids. Common, Pharrell and Dre might have made it cool for him but still.

OutKast & Andre ARE OutKast's. They are the only ones from there movement to really make noise (Cee-Lo blew when the mainstream didn't know of the affilliation). Their success and influence was seen as isolated. Dre had been on that alternative tip since '98 but the change didn't happen till post '04, probably '07.

Kanye dropped multi multi-platinum albums and ended 50's reign. Common dropped 2 gold albums. Lupe's sophomore went Gold.

Andre & Pharrell (Common, Mos Def) too, also influenced the swing. However Kanye is the only one to achieve Rap Mega-Star status e.g. several platinum albums, headlining big tours, introduce new acts, hop on remixes and features etc.

:rudy: This is how Kanye was dressing in 04 before he bit Andre's style

kanye-west-rick-james-bump-j.jpg

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Man wasn't no nikkas singing on their albums until Love Below by Dre... Wasn't no nikkas taking fasion in another direction until Andre... wasn't no nikkas introducing pop/Rnb/Rock/hiphop formula until Andre.. TS is absolutely right

Another album that shyts all over The Love Below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
I just can't see how if you've heard albums like There's A Riot Goin' On, 1999, Maggot Brain or Inspiration Information, you could act like The Love Below is some incredible musical achievement. At best it's throwback/tribute to that music, the same way the like's of Statik Selectah release dry ass boom bap music.

The problem with Dre is that while he might have the spirit of those legendary artists, he doesn't have the talent as a songwriter or the chops as a musician to make interesting non-hip hop music.

He can deny it all he wants, but his real talent is rapping.

what? so prototype wasnt well written? youre crazy. That song has been covered many times be much better singers. Roses? She Lives in my Lap? Hey Ya?

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
I'm not saying he doesn't have some good songs. Hey Ya is a pop classic. But there's so much half assed garbage on The Love Below. Things like Love In War, Dracula's Wedding, She's Alive, Vibrate etc, come across as pastiches of 70s/80s soul-funk music.

And on top of that he's barely done anything since besides a shytty Outkast album and the odd guest verse.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
tryin way too hard to be left field, sh!t is corny. cee-lo is madd talented tho, despite wearing a f*cking wedding dress
:wtf::snoop: nikka tryin too hard just to be different. And I resent that remark that 808s is better than TLB. 808s was terrible son. Production and all.