An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood (Book)

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
This is a HILARIOUS question given what the book is about.

The Jewish folks who started Hollywood started it because they were separate from their community:

- They were Jewish in heritage, but didn't practice Judaism
- They moved to a place that was not "Jewish"
- They tried to hide their "Jewishness", and didn't make "Jewish" movies...and you could argue that still happens
on a level today

If there was a group of Black folks who did something similar today, they would be called "c00ns".
After reading the review, you actually make a good point. The crux of the book seems to be

"Assimilate, Reject yourself, and then you'll get power"

Having said that, seeing as how TV shows, Films, and all around media are now pro-Jewish and always contain at least one openly Jewish stock character, it seems all the "c00ning" those earlier Jews did in the 20's and 30's actually paid off. I guess the moral of the story is, tap-dance your way into power.....

:manny:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
After reading the review, you actually make a good point. The crux of the book seems to be

Having said that, seeing as how TV shows, Films, and all around media are now pro-Jewish and always contain at least one openly Jewish stock character, it seems all the "c00ning" those earlier Jews did in the 20's and 30's actually paid off. I guess the moral of the story is, tap-dance your way into power.....

I wouldn't quite say it that way, but there seems to be some merit to it.

I think about that thread we had earlier this week where Black folks were hiring white people to be the face of their businesses,
but then they were doing the work - and tended to be doing pretty good. Other folks in here were crying foul...but you can't argue with
the results...

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here is a review from Amazon on the book:

This book/review got me thinking:

What could the black community do in terms of creating an industry the way Jews did when they created Hollywood? What types of industries could the black community create and control?

We've either created the base or dominate the work force of PLENTY of profitable industries, we just need to control them, but I don't really have the time right now to go into detail of how to do it, not to mention that it's not merely doing it, but doing it in the face of a system that would be and has been hell bent on destroying anything that involves Black ownership. But just imagine if Black people owned/controlled the entertainment we produce for instance (hip-hop, sports, fashion, etc.) :wow:

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles

The Jews didn't c00n they just didn't make movies surrounding the Jewish struggle

With blacks we put out way too many biopics (on civil rights leaders) and slave movies

Rarely do we get good crime dramas that don't involve the drug game, thrillers or fantasy

We need take a more universal approach to storytelling

Ol’Otis

Daps
Reppin
This is a HILARIOUS question given what the book is about.

The Jewish folks who started Hollywood started it because they were separate from their community:

- They were Jewish in heritage, but didn't practice Judaism
- They moved to a place that was not "Jewish"
- They tried to hide their "Jewishness", and didn't make "Jewish" movies...and you could argue that still happens
on a level today

If there was a group of Black folks who did something similar today, they would be called "c00ns".
:ohhh:

Ol’Otis

Daps
Reppin
That's only making my point.

...and that's not even talking about how Jewish actors and actresses would change their names
to sound less ethnic - or as you say, "to appeal to a larger market".
that's the point Nia Long was trying to make
when she said she didn't want to be labeled as a black actress
just an actress

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
universal approach to storytelling

the godfather was a movie about Italian-Americans
but the theme was universal (family,immigration,the american dream)

True.

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II are the GOAT movies because they're about a lot of chit.

Like you say, there's the family dynamic, immigration, the "American Dream" per se...but it's also about
morals, American History, intersectionality, politics, business...all types of chit. The Godfather movies
aren't really about Italian-Americans; they're about America - they just show how America affected a
segment of Italian-Americans.