AMD’s stock plunges to biggest loss in over 12 years

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
AMD’s stock plunges to biggest loss in over 12 years

Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. plunged on heavy volume Tuesday, to suffer their worst day in over 12 years, as the chipmaker’s results didn’t live up to analysts’ high hopes.

The company reported late Monday first-quarter results that were mostly in line with expectations, but analysts expressed concern over the margin outlook. With the stock more than tripling over the past year, Wall Street had set the bar very high.

Don’t miss: The AMD of investors’ dreams is not a reality yet.

The stock AMD, -24.23% tumbled 24.4% to $10.30, the lowest close since Jan. 23, 2017. That’s the biggest one-day percentage decline since it plummeted 26.2% on Jan. 11, 2005. Volume rocketed to 266.6 million shares, which was more than five-times the full-day average and enough to make the stock the most actively traded on major U.S. exchanges.

Analyst Christopher Rolland at Susquehanna Financial said AMD needed to have a “near perfect” quarter to justify the recent ramp up in share price, but the results fell a bit short. “AMD’s new products are beginning to accelerate growth, but perhaps without all the gross margin benefits we had hoped for,” he wrote in a note to clients.

Rolland kept his rating at neutral, and his stock price target at $12, which is now about 17% above current levels.

UBS analyst Stephen Chin affirmed his sell rating on the stock and $9 price target, which calls for a further selloff of about 13%, on concerns that the margin expansion story could take more time to develop.

“We keep our sell rating on the stock as we see limited EPS growth near term to support its high multiple as it need to invest heavily to keep pace with Intel and Nvidia,” Chin wrote. “We also estimate limited operating margin expansion in the near term.”

AMD has a price-to-earnings ratio for next-12-month estimates of 148.6, according to FactSet, compared with Intel Corp.’s INTC, +1.82% 13.0 and Nvidia Corp.’s NVDA, -2.96% 37.0.

Analyst Ruben Roy at MKM Partners said AMD appears to be executing largely according to plan, with the shipment of its new Ryzen desktop processors during the first quarter, and the results didn’t change is fundamental view of the company. However, the margin outlook is a concern as the shares appear fairly valued.

“While we do not find lumpy gross margin performance all that surprising as AMD transitions into a number of new product launches, we do understand investor disappointment with a step back given the buzz around Ryzen,” Roy wrote.

The stock was now down 9.2% year to date, while the PHLX Semiconductor Index SOX, -1.06% has run up 10.8% and the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.12% has gained 6.8%.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
All I got to say is :dahell:

How the fukk is AMD always losing money? They just dropped crazy new chips, their chips are both in the PS4 and X1, they make cheap GPUs that are powerful. What's going on? How can they be suffering so bad? I'm :mindblown:

oh yeah and team green :troll:

King of Creampies

Hop in. You coming too!
Daps
Reppin
Wild Hunt
Wow you know layoffs are coming.

291kmtg.jpg

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Like what the fukk? Are they selling their shyt at a loss or something?

I'm kinda worried though. Without proper competition in the GPU world, Nvidia can keep raising prices (which they've steadily been doing). We need AMD to succeed to keep Nvidia in check. frfr

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I got to say is :dahell:

How the fukk is AMD always losing money? They just dropped crazy new chips, their chips are both in the PS4 and X1, they make cheap GPUs that are powerful. What's going on? How can they be suffering so bad? I'm :mindblown:

oh yeah and team green :troll:

Higher costs plus profits not kicking until late 2017/2018.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Somebody :mad: they aint about to eat off consoles next gen. :umad:

PS4 not worth the cost, says Nvidia - GameSpot.com
===================
Chip-maker Nvidia didn't want to work with Sony "at the price those guys were willing to pay."
Nvidia passed on its hardware being used in the PlayStation 4 due to the "opportunity cost."

PlayStation 4: not powered by Nvidia.
"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tony Tamasi, Senior VP of content and technology at Nvidia told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay."

"Having been through the original Xbox and PS3, we understand the economics of [console development] and the tradeoffs."

Announced by Sony earlier this month, the upcoming PS4 is powered by rival chip-maker AMD. The company is also strongly rumoured to be behind the hardware of the next Xbox, but Nvidia does not appear to be troubled by the loss.

"We're building a whole bunch of stuff," continued Tamasi, "and we had to look at console business as an opportunity cost. If we say, did a console, what other piece of our business would we put on hold to chase after that?"

"In the end, you only have so many engineers and so much capability, and if you're going to go off and do chips for Sony or Microsoft, then that's probably a chip that you're not doing for some other portion of your business. And at least in the case of Sony and Nvidia, in terms of PS4, AMD has the business and Nvidia doesn't. We'll see how that plays out from a business perspective I guess. It's clearly not a technology thing."

AMD will be hoping that its PS4 business pays off, having recently fallen on hard times. Earlier this week it sold its Austin-based HQ for $164 million to raise cash, while a leading analyst called it "un-investable" following an operating loss of $131 million in its quarterly earnings report.
===========================================

It sure aint worth the cost huh? But to let your direct competition get the contracts on both Sony and MS new machines?

:beli:

Yeah, :umad: Nvidia...

:sas2:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
AMD has a price-to-earnings ratio for next-12-month estimates of 148.6, according to FactSet, compared with Intel Corp.’s INTC, +1.82% 13.0 and Nvidia Corp.’s NVDA, -2.96% 37.0.

This is the crux of the issue, the market's had bullishly priced in AMD having exceptional growth of the next few years, anything remotely short of this high reaching target will result in a sell off.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It really doesn't add up because this is the first time in many years in where AMD is finally trying to compete in the consumer market. They have the console space on lock, processors have made a nice rebound on the pc as well. Graphics cards...well at least they compete in the mid range.

I do think AMD made a huge mistake with the 1800X however. When you compare it to the 1700 and 1700X its not a good buy at all. Myself I had to give up recommending the 1800X because of the extreme tax on only a few percentages gained. On top of that they marketed the Ryzen 7 line all wrong and the gaming market should not have been a target at all. What happened there is a shame because now you had tech outlets comparing it to the 6600K/7600K and 6700K/7700K and "losing" in gaming benchmarks instead of really putting them against the x99 platform in tests that Ryzen 7 excels at.

With all that said I think the stock will rebound pretty quickly. New promising graphics coming out and the scorpio should give them a small boost as well. I'm interested in seeing what the next generation of APUs bring. If they can get close to the RX 550 in performance in integrated graphics that might be interesting.