Am I the only one tired of seeing white saviors in black movies?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
i noticed this as well. Where are the black movies with mostly black people or all black people in them? With all the black million/billionaires you would think they would get together and make some of these stories knowing that other black people will be likely to support it once word gets out.

It's like you have all these movies with just white people in them, and NO movie with just black people. shyt, even Shaka Zulu had to get white folks in there and I noticed that as a child. I told my parents i liked the movie til the white folks arrived.
Truth.

So many movies and TV shows with no non-whites in them. Yet we can't even have movies with just black folks and no token white saviors in them.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Everybody hates chris, fresh prince, etc

Nobody threw shyt, nate parker raised the money to make it himself :manny:

I know....but look at how many black women trashed Nate and his film because of an almost 20 year rape charge that he was found not guilty of and because his wife is white? That was sad to witness

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I know....but look at how many black women trashed Nate and his film because of an almost 20 year rape charge that he was found not guilty of and because his wife is white? That was sad to witness
We cant pin that on just women though. It was mainly those feminist types, the brothers who cape for em, and cacs. A lot of down ass sisters was riding for the home team

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
The Butler, The Help, 12 Years a Slave, Mr. Church. It's all the same shyt. Now there's this new movie called "Hidden Figures". I mean....a part of me is glad to see these black women's story being told. They helped send man to the moon but, I can already tell what the movie is going to be. Just like the Butler or the Help. The white men are going to be extremely disrespectful and racist towards the black women, and at some point in the film, the white men will come to respect them (to a point :whoa:) after they "prove themselves" to the whites and the black women help the white men save the day :stopitslime:

Can we just stop with all these white savior movies and make black excellence films. Why do white people have to be involved at all? That's why I can't say shyt about Tyler Perry. His movies may suck but, he doesn't have white people everywhere playing white savior. I'm tired of seeing these fukking movies.

Where's the Mansa Musa film? The Last Pharoah film Will was working on? Can we get one on Benjamin Bradley? or Madam C.J. Walker? or the Harlem Renaissance? or on John H. Johnson. There's alot, I can't name them all. But is it possible to have black movies about black people doing major shyt WITHOUT white people being involved and playing the role of savior or is that like a requirement in Hollywood :francis:

Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Funny thing about Hidden Figures is Kevin Costner's role as the white lead is completely made up. He said so himself on The Today Show this past week.

So these cacs took a true story and created a white savior cac for these ladies to follow.:rudy::patrice::camby:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
When will there ever be a film about a black middle to upper class family growing up in a predominantly white neighborhood and their struggles?

Or a film about first generation Africans or West Indians in America?

Or a film about Larry Hoover?

Or a film that's not the typical black people find value in themselves and beat the odds through music/art/dance? Or the typical slavery movie? Or the typical Tyler Perry swill? This is why I don't watch TV or movies. I'm sick of constantly being disappointed and forcing myself to see myself or relate characters I can't relate to.

There's no balance.

Why do you think black people love social media so much? We can actually tell our own stories and be our own heroes and antagonizing characters. We can put ourselves in the picture.

The media will always be by whites....for whites. Thats never going to change. Sure they might throw us a bone (Birth Of A Nation) But even then that gets hijacked by people who want the same old same old so they can make the same old same old complaints?

Why can't we have our own "Hobo WITH a Shotgun" with bad ass black men and black women fukking up evil white people? That answer to nobody!?

:why:

Yeah, back in the 90s, everyone was obsessed with these hood films like Menace II Society when the black folk I grew up with weren't in that lifestyle. It was like, if you weren't on the ignorant tip, you weren't properly represented in the media. :mindblown:

Wish there was a film where there were a group of black people who owned legal businesses and overcome oppression while stating their true worth, or a middle class black neighborhood that combat against ignorance.

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
You know good and damn well you aren't :usure:but to tell you the truth, negroes desire white saviors in real life:sas2: