Daps
Not rich last yr made about 160k.

Financial planner

High school 1 semester of college

Finra licenses 7, 6, 65, 63.

Trying to keep my first month's pace this yr and hit 200...

If anyone wants info or how I got started pm me. I'm all about helping anyone I can...
Put me on:feedme:

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not going to say exactly what I made/make but I trade the Forex market (Foreign exchange). I have a high school diploma with no interest in getting a degree. Took me about 5 years to learn how to trade well enough to quit my day job. I regret nothing.
:jbhmm: Currently looking into Forex, I need some capital long term. Any direction you can point someone in?

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Government/contracting (Don't ask won't disclose:francis:)

B.A

No certs

Military veteran (have to mention it because the networking door the military can open is uncanny).....most important info I can give honestly:manny:

What industry? Cyber? Security Contracting?

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Current salary - $96K, will be $99K come March. I'm basically somewhere in between a financial analyst and finance manager for a $15B global manufacturer. Really, I have manager expertise and experience but the actual position I want hasn't opened up so I still have an analyst title although they pay me more than the other analysts.

Currently my boss is interviewing for a couple positions and if he gets something, I'll be bumped up to manager making around $110K. It took me a while to get this point and I should have been at this level 7-8 years ago, but I wasn't as focused as I should have been. It was until I started to see people younger than me pass me, that I put my nose to the grindstone and started busting my ass. Ultimately, I see myself topping out at the director level making 150K-175K. But at that point, I hope to have some successful side hustles to boost my income further.

I'm currently a finance major. What advice would you give me to be successful in this field?

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't make 6 figures yet but my dad and I are building strip malls in Liberia so I can say I'm set for life once I learn how to run a business. No college degree yet but I will get one . I want to be a dentist even though I'm in my mid 20s. I cannot quit I have to keep pushing. :ohlawd:
I'm with it. Inbox me. We have businesses there.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Supply Chain Management: Bachelor's Degree and MBA, two certs: CPIM, CTL

MBA only helped me change careers into supply chain and operations. Now you can get a lot of info a the college level. Go to the library and get books and study up to get one of the modern certs that doesn't require much job experience (CPSM I think). Huge demand but not many people are good at it.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
On pace to making 170K (last year I was well above 200k but I'm tired and don't feel like working myself too hard this year:manny:). I work in the tech world as a BI Developer and have dropped plenty of gems already in Higher Learning. I have two Bachelors (One Business Administration, another in Informatics) and a Masters (MBA) and no certs but if I can do it over again I probably would've only gotten an Associates degree since I don't give a shyt about a corporate ladder :yeshrug:.

@bdizzle the only thing that keeps me going in IT/Corporate America is contracting and working remote. That way I'm not committed to any company long-term and I can come and go as I please. Having to wake up at the same time and go to the same place Monday-Friday dealing with workplace idiots/politics should be downright illegal :gucci:. Don't know how people do that shyt every day.

Last edited:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
4 year degree from run of the mill college

degree in information systems

worked my way up from operations (jobs in tidal scheduler) to help desk (ppr aka professional password resetter) to windows admin (primarily AD and exchange)

working in R&D at HP really changed my career path though...moved from windows admin to "technology product tester"...primarily using you guessed it HP-UX...

one of the projects I worked on involved virtualization...having to install and manager vsphere 4.0...from there i went to work at a company that specialized in virtualization...went from tier 1 to tier 3 in that company...then went from tier 3 to manager...only because the current manager was moving to the c level management circle and he could not until he back filled his position...and of course a black guy in his late 20's won't turn that down :mjpls:...job was pretty much off loaded to me...

our division easily has the highest profit margins in the company...former manager knew this and made sure to get our department put under him so he can always boast about the highest profit margin tag...lots of rifs and reorgs and the next thing you know I get Director in my title...I am not going to mention what my full title is cause I know at least one other person at my company post on the coli...saw it on her screen:mjpls:...there is one other person who mentioned working at the same place i do :mjpls: and back on SOHH someone made a thread about a story that happened in my office the exact day it happened :mjpls:

base salary this year in the 150k range but i am eligible for up to a 10% bonus and if you get the full 10% you are eligible for another 20%...so a 15k bonus and then eligible for another 3k for a total of an 18k bonus...since we have the highest profit margins it is a given that we always get the 10% and always get the 20%...this is set up by design by myself and my manager...we consistently convince the board that the companies numbers will look better if we show consistent sustained 3 to 5% growth instead of trying to hit some crazy target and we can't and then we don't get our bonuses...this is actually the hardest part of my job and not the IT stuff and management stuff...well this and the legal stuff I have to look at...

With all that said I am sort of :ehh: about my job...it's easy money but i don't care for it one way or the other...i won't ever move above this position because i would have to c00n it up to do so and that just aint me...i've gotten back into writing and put my job sort of on the back burner...i'm like the dikk head director who you got to send a bunch of emails to...leave a bunch of voice mails for...and get a bunch of other managers and directors with some real pull to even get a conversation with and the very second you give me an out to not do any work i am going to fukking bury you with it and you going to start over from square one :ufdup:

The bolded sounds like an everyday convo between me and one of my homies that work in the tech world :wow:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
I'm currently a finance major. What advice would you give me to be successful in this field?

Well, there's two lanes most finance people will go into.

One is the IB world, which is hella difficult to break into. If your GPA ain't 3.6 or better, you have to be special (or well connected) to get on. You do get a second chance to try to make it with an MBA, but would basically have to go to a top 25 grad school. I did not make the cut to make it in that field, so all I can say is if you want to make it there it will take a ton of planning ahead and killing it at school before you can even get in.

The other is basically corporate finance, which is reporting and analysis for major corporations. My advise is try to be strong in accounting as many of these roles require some knowledge of accounting and actually look for CPA types. Getting your CPA is a great resume builder, but if accounting isn't your strongest suit, a CMA is much easier and relates to corporate finance much more. I think what worked for me was that I was flexible and worked in many different areas (sales finance, marketing finance, operations finance). Now at this point in my career I can communicate issues and troubleshoot in so many areas that I serve as an invaluable business partner.

Also, taking risks and being aggressive when it comes to projects and tasks is important. Early in my career, I would ask my managers to "give me assignments" and they would be hesitant, and either they'd give me some crappy assignment or do nothing. I'd fall back because I wasn't begging no white man for anything. I still don't beg, but I let my intentions be known off top, as what I'd like to do and the level of work I desire. I also started to figure out what the business needs were and instead of "asking for anything to do", I determined what needed to be done and just would confirm with my manager that it was a valid project to work on. Come to think of it, that's probably the biggest jump in my career. Once I became autonomous and didn't need a manager at all, is when I started to progress further.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Government/contracting (Don't ask won't disclose:francis:)

B.A

No certs

Military veteran (have to mention it because the networking door the military can open is uncanny).....most important info I can give honestly:manny:
Officer or enlisted?