Pro
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere
Software engineer
A bachelors degree
No Certs
Didn't even have internships

I keep telling folks to go into software and its chill as fukk, you don't have to work hard...but nope, getting there seems too hard for a lot of nikkas I know it'd be easy to pick up

Its like how fukking around with cars is too hard/troublesome for some nikkas (even myself in some cases) but it takes a few months to be a certified mechanic.
Its not impossible and since I've graduated I haven't even been required to do algebraic maths, albeit I can do maths up to partial diff eq at least if i brush up again.

Last edited:

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It is worth it if you want to change careers. If you can go back to school and study it, great. If not, take the CSCP it only requires a bachelor's or three years related experience and some tests. That will look awesome on your resume. Also, depending on where you are, start to go to the local chapter meetings of APICS or ISM or CSCMP to network. They have test prep classes too.

So yea just to follow up - this is pretty much the path I ended up on. I didn't start until 2019 but I'll have a degree soon, joining APICS (Plus membership) with a chapter in Long Island once Covid blows over. Then going to get the CPIM -> CSCP.

Also through research know that a lot of places want strong skills in Excel, data visualization (Power BI/Tableau), and some SQL skills.

So once again thanks for the info bruh.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
So yea just to follow up - this is pretty much the path I ended up on. I didn't start until 2019 but I'll have a degree soon, joining APICS (Plus membership) with a chapter in Long Island once Covid blows over. Then going to get the CPIM -> CSCP.

Also through research know that a lot of places want strong skills in Excel, data visualization (Power BI/Tableau), and some SQL skills.

So once again thanks for the info bruh.

That's great breh! The CPIM got me a job back in the day got me my first job in the field without experience.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That's great breh! The CPIM got me a job back in the day got me my first job in the field without experience.

Not gonna lie I'm kinda hyped. The stuff I've heard from some people close to the field and reading message boards...basically there is a lot of room for growth, lots of ways in. And not enough people smart enough or with skills/critical thinking needed, so if I'm good in those areas I could do very well.

I've been checking the material for the CPIM and I see why it's valued. A ton on info split between 2 tests, and pass rates that are no higher than 80%. Looks like you're legit if you make it!

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Not gonna lie I'm kinda hyped. The stuff I've heard from some people close to the field and reading message boards...basically there is a lot of room for growth, lots of ways in. And not enough people smart enough or with skills/critical thinking needed, so if I'm good in those areas I could do very well.

I've been checking the material for the CPIM and I see why it's valued. A ton on info split between 2 tests, and pass rates that are no higher than 80%. Looks like you're legit if you make it!

Yeah, the only thing that sucks is a lot of libraries are closed due to COVID. I used interlibrary loan to get all those study books (non-APICS books) for free. Otherwise get them off Alibris for cheap.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah, the only thing that sucks is a lot of libraries are closed due to COVID. I used interlibrary loan to get all those study books (non-APICS books) for free. Otherwise get them off Alibris for cheap.

Good looks!

Daps
Software engineer
A bachelors degree
No Certs

I keep telling folks to go into software and its chill as fukk, you don't have to work hard...but nope, getting there seems too hard for a lot of nikkas I know it'd be easy to pick up

Its like how fukking around with cars is too hard/troublesome for some nikkas (even myself in some cases) but it takes a few months to be a certified mechanic.
Its not impossible and since I've graduated I haven't even been required to do algebraic maths, albeit I can do maths up to partial diff eq at least if i brush up again.

Is that job interesting?
What do you do during the course of the day?
What skills and abilities are necessary to advance in software engineering?
How is the compensation structure?

无名的

Superstar
Daps
Is that job interesting?

Kind of impossible to give a one-size-fits-all answer for this.

The job is interesting or not dependent on what you like to do and where you end up. You can be a cog in a machine and work on a massive team where you're maintaining one little feature within a suite of products and push out new code every once in a great while under a highly structured environment where everything is tested ad nauseam, or you can be in a small shop pushing code every couple hours where every deployment could completely destroy the company if it goes wrong.

There is no real typical day but the long and short of it is you give instructions to the computer to perform a task you want.

I think the most critical skills for a successful software engineer... the ability to take a complex project with vague requirements from "business" people who have no concept of what it takes to develop software, break it down into consumable technical tasks, while considering how everything will interact and potentially break due to edge cases.

Compensation also varies greatly by location, company, experience, etc. For context, I was recently offered 115, bonus and equity for 2-3 years development experience at a high growth start up.

Prevail

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere
Is that job interesting?
Sort of
Its kind of like where in school you'd have a project due a month later, so I pretty much decide what I do and report my progress at regular intervals. I code, usually automating stuff for my team. Sometimes I have a duty to maintain our service, where I'd manually address issues that come up with our individual customers and the actual service itself not working.
Mainly the ability to code, social skills are definitely needed, assertiveness is necessary, and the ability to research.
Usually you get a compensation bump for good performance, but I think early on - it's better to just keep hopping companies every few years.