All-new PS Plus: Essential, Extra, Premium

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
While I prefer the sony library to the game pass one, I still feel the way I feel about these subscriptions.
Access to an overwhelming amount of games with having no genuine interest in playing the vast majority of them.
Subscription video game services like that still don't make as much sense to me as subscription movie/tv subs.
Games require way more time to enjoy.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
While I prefer the sony library to the game pass one, I still feel the way I feel about these subscriptions.
Access to an overwhelming amount of games with having no genuine interest in playing the vast majority of them.
Subscription video game services like that still don't make as much sense to me as subscription movie/tv subs.
Games require way more time to enjoy.

Yeah, this is why I feel the gaming subscription model has a lower ceiling than those of music and movies, because of two reasons.

1. Like you said, games take more involvement/investment to see them through to "completion" and have to actually actively engage in pretty much the majority of them. Whereas movies/music are more bit-sized that can be played much more passively. You can be fine with playing a plethora of games and whatnot, but...
2. Most gamers, don't really game that way. Even more "hardcore" gamers typically only play a handful of games at a time (as demonstrated by plenty of posters here and other forums; and that time could be months). At best, most hardcore gamers are hardcore at a particular game or gaming type/genre, rather than just being hardcore into everything. Casual gamers are even less likely to want to play but so many games at a time or year even.

Sure, the relatively low cost on the surface looks appealing for now, but that's only going to be temporary for sure and most gamers would more than likely start to cut theirs off once that inevitable price increase happens. It'll be like gym memberships and most will be like, "I'm not playing as many games as I thought I would and want to cut costs" and start to cancel memberships. At best, they'll be subbed to intermittently when the specific titles they want are on there and then unsub when done with them. Similar to other entertainment media subs for sure, but with a lower ceiling.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah, this is why I feel the gaming subscription model has a lower ceiling than those of music and movies, because of two reasons.

1. Like you said, games take more involvement/investment to see them through to "completion" and have to actually actively engage in pretty much the majority of them. Whereas movies/music are more bit-sized that can be played much more passively. You can be fine with playing a plethora of games and whatnot, but...
2. Most gamers, don't really game that way. Even more "hardcore" gamers typically only play a handful of games at a time (as demonstrated by plenty of posters here and other forums; and that time could be months). At best, most hardcore gamers are hardcore at a particular game or gaming type/genre, rather than just being hardcore into everything. Casual gamers are even less likely to want to play but so many games at a time or year even.

Sure, the relatively low cost on the surface looks appealing for now, but that's only going to be temporary for sure and most gamers would more than likely start to cut theirs off once that inevitable price increase happens. It'll be like gym memberships and most will be like, "I'm not playing as many games as I thought I would and want to cut costs" and start to cancel memberships. At best, they'll be subbed to intermittently when the specific titles they want are on there and then unsub when done with them. Similar to other entertainment media subs for sure, but with a lower ceiling.
1 year of Game Pass cost $120 minimum at straight pay. A full priced AAA game cost $70. So for the price of 1.7 full retail games in a year you get access to a full year's Game Pass.

The reality is though you can get 3 years of Game Pass for about $151 right now with Gold conversion. So really in 3 years if you played 2 full priced retail games on Game Pass you are within $11 of breaking even.

If you're going to compare it to going to the gym the best comparison is getting a day pass every time you want to go to the gym vs getting a annual or monthly gym membership.

My issue with Sony's service is the value of it is for people who pretty much pass on all games and wait until the sales of them die down. At that point they may come to Sony's service. Microsoft has that but they also have whatever new stuff we make comes to the service too. If I'm buying Sony games at release then their subscription service is pretty redundant The huge games coming to it are likely games I've bought already.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
1 year of Game Pass cost $120 minimum at straight pay. A full priced AAA game cost $70. So for the price of 1.7 full retail games in a year you get access to a full year's Game Pass.

The reality is though you can get 3 years of Game Pass for about $151 right now with Gold conversion. So really in 3 years if you played 2 full priced retail games on Game Pass you are within $11 of breaking even.

If you're going to compare it to going to the gym the best comparison is getting a day pass every time you want to go to the gym vs getting a annual or monthly gym membership.

My issue with Sony's service is the value of it is for people who pretty much pass on all games and wait until the sales of them die down. At that point they may come to Sony's service. Microsoft has that but they also have whatever new stuff we make comes to the service too. If I'm buying Sony games at release then their subscription service is pretty redundant The huge games coming to it are likely games I've bought already.

Most casual folks are broke and if you think balking at 70 dollars is something, then 120-150 is going to be even less enticing to those. I've worked sales jobs with trying to push the "annual is more valuable/cheaper in the long run angle," which is definitely true, but once again, folks is broke/cheap. They'll settle for buying monthly, which is going to be more costly in the long term, which is just going to have folks resort back to cancelling when not in use.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Premium sucks man. Maybe they think the Cloud storage and streaming is enough, but it ain't. Why play Street Fighter 4 streaming the PS3 version when a PS4 version exists, same with Limbo, just stupid decision making.

Extra is still strong and worth it overall. If you haven't played a Dragon Quest game, this is a great month for you. The Ass Creed games on this list aren't great imo, the better ones are already there anyway. Edit

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Most casual folks are broke and if you think balking at 70 dollars is something, then 120-150 is going to be even less enticing to those. I've worked sales jobs with trying to push the "annual is more valuable/cheaper in the long run angle," which is definitely true, but once again, folks is broke/cheap. They'll settle for buying monthly, which is going to be more costly in the long term, which is just going to have folks resort back to cancelling when not in use.
I mean I’m the kind of person that uses my Amex or Chase credit card offers to get $99 Spotify year cards for $90 so my average monthly cost is $7.50 and not $9.99 so I just think different. I look at spending that $151 on Gold conversion as if I can get 2-3 games in 3 years that I would have bought at full retail I came out ahead over that time. I would not pay $10 a month for Game Pass as it is now. They’d need more 1st party output for that.

I get PlayStation Plus usually when you can get it for $30 a year on sale and I get like 3-4 years at a time. For that price to me it’s worth it. For the standard rate especially for Extra or Premium which are mostly about old games I can get dirt cheap or already own I’ll pass.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on November 15:

• Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Yeah, i say this all the time. When people are broke they ain’t thinking about adding another monthly subscription to their lives, especially for something so non-essential like gaming. Asking for a big payment up front is also gonna seem like a lot of money.

For most people they like the illusion of choice, even if its more expensive, they spend money when they have it not for some future thing they might need.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on November 15:

• Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
Brutal. So that's it? No older Classics this month. And like the Sly games, we gotta stream the old Ratchet games instead of play them natively. Premium is ass I'll shout it from the mountaintops lol

Edit: jumped the gun, let's see what they got for this month...

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Brutal. So that's it? No older Classics this month. And like the Sly games, we gotta stream the old Ratchet games instead of play them natively. Premium is ass I'll shout it from the mountaintops lol

No this is a separate drop just for the Ratchet and Clank 20th anniversary. Premium and Extra get announced next week.