All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm most surprised by Verdugo.
I thought he'd make enough contact where even if he didn't hit 20 HR, he'd still bat around .270.

You didn't expect him to be an X factor but certainly a stable player. He hasn't even been that.

In a given year you could blame bad luck. But Cashman has had too many decisions blow up in his face for it to be dismissed as bad luck.

Anyone remember how last summer the Yankees said they would bring an outside stats analysis company to audit their processes? Then they backed away from that?

Yeah, about that....
I expected him to hit around his career averages. Then again, if Boston was willing to trade him here, it should’ve been a red flag to stay away. This is the same GM who says the process matters more than the results though.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I expected him to hit around his career averages. Then again, if Boston was willing to trade him here, it should’ve been a red flag to stay away. This is the same GM who says the process matters more than the results though.
Process matters more than results when you're a developing player in the minors. Or in Spring Training.

Results matter when you're at the highest level and playing in the regular season.

I fully support stats analysis and using all kinds of metrics to make the best decisions. But all the data in the world means nothing if you don't have any real life experience and routinely misuse that information.

Even Keith Law, who was one of the loudest sabermetrics proponents 10-15 years ago eventually walked back his most aggressive stats based narratives after going to MLB scouts school. Or something similar to that.

You have to blend the two. Brian Cashman doesn't get it.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Process matters more than results when you're a developing player in the minors. Or in Spring Training.

Results matter when you're at the highest level and playing in the regular season.

I fully support stats analysis and using all kinds of metrics to make the best decisions. But all the data in the world means nothing if you don't have any real life experience and routinely misuse that information.

Even Keith Law, who was one of the loudest sabermetrics proponents 10-15 years ago eventually walked back his most aggressive stats based narratives after going to MLB scouts school. Or something similar to that.

You have to blend the two. Brian Cashman doesn't get it.
They’re 9-19 in their last 28, largely because a few pitchers and position players Cashman brought in on the cheap instead of going all in on great players and hiring people who could help him draft and develop young players have been busts. They’re back 1 game in the division when they should be up by a sizable margin. If they were just 14-14 in those last 28 games as opposed to having the worst record in baseball in that span they’d be up by 4 games right now. That’s on the GM ignoring left field, 1st and 3rd base, and shortstop.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The Boston Red Sox have rebuilt and changed GM’s multiple times over the last 20 years and lapped the Yankees meanwhile cashman stays because of continuity

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
The Boston Red Sox have rebuilt and changed GM’s multiple times over the last 20 years and lapped the Yankees meanwhile cashman stays because of continuity
They have similar issues to us in some respects, but the reason why Hal doesn't make changes is because he doesn't know baseball like that, so if you asked him to make a replacement, he'd either hire someone exactly like him or someone who's also employed forever will recommend. It's why there isn't a house cleaning even below Cashman, which normally happens when you wanna send a message to the GM to get it together. That shyt is too daunting for him, so Hal would rather do everything but tell us that the days of winning titles semi consistently are over.

Red Sox fans would welcome a sale at this point. I can't remember ever imagining a time when the Red Sox would either be 3rd or 4th in the city but Henry and the ownership group pulled it off.

holidayinn21

:SmugMoneyMike:
Daps
Reppin
The mutha****in BX
If I told you we could get Emmanuel Clase tomorrow, we'd all jump for it.

Who led baseball in blown saves last year? Clase.

Hader's been mediocre this year and many fans wanted to pivot and give him 100 million dollars. Teams out her drooling over Mason Miller because he throws 102 down the middle all the time. Yeah he killed our lineup, as if that's impressive. I remember when we had a closer like that. His name was Aroldis Chapman, and every time Cashman thinks he hit a lick with an A's pitcher, what happens?

The best team in baseball doesn't even have a true closer. We're scared to death of the Orioles and they have Craig Kimbrel closing games. The overall point is for whatever reason the fans think there's this fix to the closer spot, and there isn't one that's attainable and if there is one, every other team wants that guy too. If you wanna demote Holmes and make Weaver the closer, great. The day he blows one everyone's gonna flip out on him too. Show me the closer that's gonna put you at ease. It's gonna be a minute, that's short AND long term with this team. I'm not even advocating to keep Holmes.
Again with "the fans". You hold them more accountable than you do Cashman.

No one is asking for a brand name. shyt, Clay wasn't a brand name when he became the closer.

If your reason for keeping him in the closer's role is that you feel they're no other options, then that's just lazy and not a sufficient enough excuse, seeing as how he's been living off of his 2022 first half for two years now. You want "the fans" to stop complaining? Get better players, or start playing better.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Again with "the fans". You hold them more accountable than you do Cashman.

No one is asking for a brand name. shyt, Clay wasn't a brand name when he became the closer.

If your reason for keeping him in the closer's role is that you feel they're no other options, then that's just lazy and not a sufficient enough excuse
, seeing as how he's been living off of his 2022 first half for two years now. You want "the fans" to stop complaining? Get better players, or start playing better.

Clearly I said I'm not advocating for Clay to remain closer AND I said if you wanna replace him internally, that's fine. I'm just saying fans are asking for something that isn't available

You want "the fans" to stop complaining? Get better players, or start playing better.

That's been my point. When you have to replace so many holes, it stops being worth it, especially when players have to do their jobs. Volpe's not going anywhere. DJ ain't going anywhere. Rodon ain't going anywhere. Verdugo ain't going anywhere,

and nobody here has been more demanding of a better minor league system than me and that falls squarely on Cashman.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Cole didn't have his best stuff but battled

I'm confident with more repetition...he'll be his old self