Alchemist speaks on new album, why his beats aren't good enough, and working with Nas

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
What a stupid thing to say. Someone makes an (admittedly) experimental album that didn't please your ears so they "don't have it anymore."

Did you hear Covert Coup sir? Did you hear the beats he did for Cats & Dogs? Have you heard any of the bangers he has on Sean Price's new album? The stuff he did with Rick Ross, Action Bronson, and Roc Marciano?

One of the dumber comments I've read recently.

Yea i thought covert coup was trash and i havnt heard the rest. No one is talking about covert coup anymore. His beats have started to sound similiar and with the influx of superior producers hitting the scene he doesnt fit in anymore with his generic sounding beats.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yea i thought covert coup was trash and i havnt heard the rest. No one is talking about covert coup anymore. His beats have started to sound similiar and with the influx of superior producers hitting the scene he doesnt fit in anymore with his generic sounding beats.

90% of everyone that heard Covert Coup thought the production was great, but that's another story. Different tastes, fine. But you can't say it was generic. Those beats are anything but generic. Who the hell flips a Jpanaese anime, a Playstation racing game, Eastern European prog rock, Barry White, Lyn Collins, and the Robin Thompson Band all on one album and have it blend together. Anyways, stepping away from Covert Coup.

But, Doesn't fit into what? If anything, his beats are starting to sound NOT similar at all? Nothing on Covert Coup sounds like anything on Roulette, which sounds nothing like what he did for Rick Ross, which sounds very different from what he did on Cats & Dogs.

You gonna say that red Carpet with Evidence, Raekwon, and Ras Kass was a generic beat? Lots of people said that was one of their favorite beats of his ever.

Influx of superior producers??? Who? Most of the best producers our right now have been around for at least a few years if not a long time. Nottz, Jake One, Kanye West, Just Blaze, 9th Wonder, Alchemist, Ski, No ID, JUSTICE League, Toomp, DJ Khalil, Black Milk, Statik, Mr. Porter, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Sid Roams, Bukwild, Tip, Havoc, Madlib, Muggs, Dre, Hit-Boy, S-1...

So who are these superior producers that are newcomers?

If you don't like the music fine, but to call it generic the face of "this influx of superior talent" is laughable.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
What a stupid thing to say. Someone makes an (admittedly) experimental album that didn't please your ears so they "don't have it anymore."

Did you hear Covert Coup sir? Did you hear the beats he did for Cats & Dogs? Have you heard any of the bangers he has on Sean Price's new album? The stuff he did with Rick Ross, Action Bronson, and Roc Marciano?

One of the dumber comments I've read recently.

Link that shyt bytch

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Link that shyt bytch

All I got online is some snippets and stuff but here you go. I tried to link some of the stuff he played on 9th Wonder's Ustream qhen he was finishing the album here in NC but the links are no longer up. He played some ALC joints and some that he recorded with 9th Wonder and the Soul Council.

[ame="http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-studio-session-with-sean-p"]LIVE STUDIO SESSION WITH SEAN P! on USTREAM: WATCH SEAN PRICE RECORD A VERSE TO ONE OF ALCHEMIST'S GEMS FOR THE ACTION BRONSON PROJECT..@@AMEPARAM@@cid=9753740@@AMEPARAM@@9753740[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Still can believe Nas passed on We gonna make it beat. It could have been is Promi equivalent of Nas is like.

Nas did pose on Alc beat recently with Mobb Deep though, Dog shyt and Get it forever. Good tracks, but nothing outstanding, and he wasn't in the studio with alc like that.

I want Alc to give him beats like the one he did for Currensy "Scottie Pippen". On Russian Roulette there's a change beat that Nas could have tear off, the 25 seconds end of Apollo's last stand

:comeon: :wtf: just because an artist is great and a beat is great doesn't mean that beat would work for him.

i couldnt imagine him flowing on that..and lox was perfect for that beat.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
some people prolly think that kayne is A dope producer pro;;y havent made a beat in 10 years :aicmon:

TEN years fam? You're my dude, but I think that's stretching it. That would mean nothing BP2 and after is any good? I enjoyed a lot of what he did on Graduation.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
no excuse for Nas going a decade without using Al, total bullshyt

Premo i get to a degree, leave the boom bap in the past etc etc, but Al got so many styles

No excuse at all. And when is he gonna hook up a track for Hov???
Personally, I couldn't get intO russian roulette. It was too out there wih shytty rappers.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
When did the story come about on Nas passing on We Gon Make it? Given the Jadakiss/Rass Kass situation that would have been funny.

Alchemist did work or submit some stuff for this album cause I remember him mentioning it last year, we'll have to see where it pops up.

But they have worked together on other people's projects together...most notably Mobb Deep.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
When did the story come about on Nas passing on We Gon Make it? Given the Jadakiss/Rass Kass situation that would have been funny.

Alchemist did work or submit some stuff for this album cause I remember him mentioning it last year, we'll have to see where it pops up.

But they have worked together on other people's projects together...most notably Mobb Deep.

Alc himself has said that both Nas and Jay-Z had the chance to get the beat before Jadakiss, he even said Nas recorded to it...