After talking to my wife, I have decided not to delete Frank Ocean from the Ipad/Ipod

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
When I first read about his homosexual relationship, I was disgusted and pissed off feeling like this cocksucker deliberately deceived his listening public.My thought process immediately turned to gender of his songs subject. Was the target of his affections man or woman?

I was ready to hit that delete button when my wife asked me a poignant question, "Before you discovered he was gay, when u listened to his songs did you picture the subject being a man or woman." I replied, "a woman". Then she replied "so what's the problem."

At that point I realized that music is supposed to be an introspective representation of not only the artist but also the listener. Music has different interpretations to different people. Frank may have wrote his music to represent his homosexual experiences, but the way his listening audience perceives those songs depends upon that person and their experiences.

Based upon this conversation I realized that although i will never ever agree with his homosexual lifestyle, at the same time I can enjoy this music, regardless of the inspiration for it's creation.

It is a fine line to walk brehs

That's funny I told my wife about it she had the :scusthov: face on the entire time. Sayin naw I can't rock wit that fakkit shyt. I was never really a fan, she was but not anymore

rastafarwrite81

Reppin fine wine and cigars!
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I woulda checked my girl on site...Ya wife gon bring a tranny home on your birthday cuz she think you cool with it now....don't worry she won't tell you its a tranny cuz its all about perception....its only gay if you see it as a man:rudy:

the fukk, where ya'll nikkas make these wild ass scenarios up. ya'll nikkas goto irrational lengths to prove a point.

none of that shyt will happen

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
I was thinking about listener interpretation the other day. Some of the songs that get me through probably have an entirely different meaning to the artist(s). If I told them how I took it, the concept could be completely foreign and different from other listeners. Once released, music/art is more about the receiver than creator. Like it's said, "take what's yours and leave the rest". :yeshrug: Kind of off-topic but on-topic.