Africans Back in the Day: Photos & Pictures Collection

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
mission_ouassoulienne_karamoko_serviteurs.jpg

Karamoko and his servants. Karamoko was the son of the monument of West African history @Samori Toure , who built the Wassoulou Empire by leading the Djihad (holy Islamic war) on traditional Mandingo tribes, then fought Frenchs and gave them a hell of a war. Redrawn from a photo taken by M.Van Bosch in 1890.

index.php

Soldier of Samory’s army. 1890 with the same author.

index.php

Another Samory soldier. Same author and date.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
index.php

Sereer from 1890. Posing like he thinks this shyt is stupid :russ:

index.php

Wolof from Thiès with the swaggy jacket. 1890.

index.php

Bambara chiefs from high Niger, 1890. The motives on their clothes look beautiful.

index.php

Trio of Sambala (Medina’s king) griots in 1890.

index.php

Griots from High Senegal. Still the same date. Notice the goat chilling with them.

index.php

Lol, I had this as a colored painting in my house when I was little. 1867? The women are grinding millet.

index.php

Senegalese spiritual guide.

index.php

Malinkes dancing in 1885. The scene looks vivid. Must have been a crazy party.

index.php

Mandingo with the sword :damn:. Breh looks like he’s NOT playing with the swordmanship :whoa: I'm trying to see a movie or play a videogame with him as a main character :banderas:

index.php

Another Mandingo, in the same year, wearing an amulet.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Next post is going to be interesting… I will talk about something few of you probably know, and that is coincidentally very related to the Coli culture :mjgrin: but also Senegal’s history :ooh:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
About the Signares

There is a lot of information about the Signares on the francophone internet. Unfortunately, when I checked for english sources about these women, and ended up on articles written on sites such as nrp or even the dedicated Wikipedia page, I found out that some of this information got either lost in translation, or purposefully erased as a consequence of the effort of recuperation of this piece of history, motivated by the obvious goal to turn it as an icon for feminism. Even though the power accumulated by these women is indeed an important aspect of their story, erasing or attempting to muffle the undisputably controversial aspect of their activities doesn’t sit right with me. fukk that :pacspit:

To make a very long story short, the word signare comes from the portuguese word senhora which means « madam ». These African merchant women, some of few means, some of a lot, from Wolof or Lebou tribes, initially saw the arrival of the Portuguese on the region’s coasts as a possible come up. They linked up intimately, and founded together the first mixed communities in this part of the continent.

B9719614402Z.1_20190516162547_000%2BGACDE7KAT.1-0.jpg

Aquarelle of Signare

Then, the English and the French pulled up, meddling with the Wolof kings’ internal beefs and turning the whole area into a war zone. The signare communities had no choice but to move towards the coastal Islands, Saint Louis and Gorée. There, they practiced the same strategy they applied with the Portuguese : becoming the wives of english and french men setting up in the island. Since these men weren’t planning to live there indefinitely, the signares often « wed » four or five consecutive european men in order to gain access to the ressources they brought with them. Of these unions, they not only obtained kids, but houses, capital and slaves. That’s how they first gain power.

signare-de-gore-e-avec-ses-esclave-768x1023.jpg

Gorée Signare and her slaves

They associated to the point where their mulatto communities became large enough to allow the weddings to be predominantly between mulattos, as a way to maintain their status, culture and capital transmitted from mother to daughter through generations. At this point, when they married Europeans, it never was simple sailors anymore, but only those associated with the european bourgeoisie, so as to build a network of familial ties between Europe and their communities. This was in part done to gain protection from the brutal European slave traders operating in the islands as well as the rejection of black populations.

30824654f8cb7a16de1635c345955e99.jpg

Signare in Touba with her slave in the 1840s. Apparently, the original piece being an aquarelle contributed to exoticize the Signare. Notice how it is described in what was 1861 as "a Signare and a Negress".

No need to say that with the continued french implementation through the decades, and way before that, these signares communities progressively separated from their african roots and integrated their own european-affiliated paradigm. History tells they threw huge parties, wore expensive and rich clothing and jewelry, parading through the streets with their slaves also decorated to show off their power.

Bal-des-signares.jpg

Signare ball

2012-18-25_d20170287.jpg

2012-18-19_d20130035.jpg

2012-18-45_d20130046.jpg

2012-18-94_d20170269.jpg

2012-18-127_d20130081.jpg

2012-18-170_d20170238.jpg

2012-18-4_d20130014.jpg
The Jewelry they wore recreated

The abolishment of slavery, as well as other events, caused their fall. As colonization progressed, French men started to come to the continent with their wives and a renewed theorized racism, and got desinterested in the Signares. Their association with English men (needless to say that English and France were not fukking with each other) also participated in the sentiment that these women were traitors, but also women of little virtue, prostitutes with devious customs. It signed the end of the signares.

During the 60s, as the themes of mixing and melting pot in the context of globalism got popular, their image got a lil better. Scouring through articles now, I notice that there is an obvious attempt, from Occidental observers notably, to make these women a feminist symbol. A « women gaining power through their smarts and their looks, building their own society» empowerment story.

This npr article for example (NPR Choice page), about this white American woman collecting many of the jewelry the Signares wore (that were being destroyed by Senegal artisans to make new pieces with different motives), who opened a gallery about them and commissionned senegalese artists to produce more Signare art.

smithsonian_112111~0.jpg
MJohnson05.jpg

I advise yall to read the very short article so as to make your own opinion, but the longer one from her website (In Senegal, Female Empowerment, Prestige and Wealth Is Measured in Glittering Gold | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian) is even more telling. You find nasty and pretty stupid rhetoric like this:

It made Maples uncomfortable to talk about this part of their history,
even though headhunting and slavery were common in West Africa even before the Trans-Atlantic slave trade begin.

which is what happens when you let these people tell our history :unimpressed:

Last edited:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
About the Signares

There is a lot of information about the Signares on the francophone internet. Unfortunately, when I checked for english sources about these women, and ended up on articles written on sites such as nrp or even the dedicated Wikipedia page, I found out that some of this information got either lost in translation, or purposefully erased as a consequence of the effort of recuperation of this piece of history, motivated by the obvious goal to turn it as an icon for feminism. Even though the power accumulated by these women is indeed an important aspect of their story, erasing or attempting to muffle the undisputably controversial aspect of their activities doesn’t sit right with me. fukk that :pacspit:

To make a very long story short, the word signare comes from the portuguese word senhora which means « madam ». These African merchant women, some of few means, some of a lot, from Wolof or Lebou tribes, initially saw the arrival of the Portuguese on the region’s coasts as a possible come up. They linked up intimately, and founded together the first mixed communities in this part of the continent.

B9719614402Z.1_20190516162547_000%2BGACDE7KAT.1-0.jpg

Aquarelle of Signare

Then, the English and the French pulled up, meddling with the Wolof kings’ internal beefs and turning the whole area into a war zone. The signare communities had no choice but to move towards the coastal Islands, Saint Louis and Gorée. There, they practiced the same strategy they applied with the Portuguese : becoming the wives of english and french men setting up in the island. Since these men weren’t planning to live there indefinitely, the signares often « wed » four or five consecutive european men in order to gain access to the ressources they brought with them. Of these unions, they not only obtained kids, but houses, capital and slaves. That’s how they first gain power.

signare-de-gore-e-avec-ses-esclave-768x1023.jpg

Gorée Signare and her slaves

They associated to the point where their mulatto communities became large enough to allow the weddings to be predominantly between mulattos, as a way to maintain their status, culture and capital transmitted from mother to daughter through generations. At this point, when they married Europeans, it never was simple sailors anymore, but only those associated with the european bourgeoisie, so as to build a network of familial ties between Europe and their communities. This was in part done to gain protection from the brutal European slave traders operating in the islands as well as the rejection of black populations.

30824654f8cb7a16de1635c345955e99.jpg

Signare in Touba with her slave in the 1840s. Apparently, the original piece being an aquarelle contributed to exoticize the Signare. Notice how it is described in what was 1861 as "a Signare and a Negress".

No need to say that with the continued french implementation through the decades, and way before that, these signares communities progressively separated from their african roots and integrated their own european-affiliated paradigm. History tells they threw huge parties, wore expensive and rich clothing and jewelry, parading through the streets with their slaves also decorated to show off their power.

Bal-des-signares.jpg

Signare ball

2012-18-25_d20170287.jpg

2012-18-19_d20130035.jpg

2012-18-45_d20130046.jpg

2012-18-94_d20170269.jpg

2012-18-127_d20130081.jpg

2012-18-170_d20170238.jpg

2012-18-4_d20130014.jpg
The Jewelry they wore recreated

The abolishment of slavery, as well as other events, caused their fall. As colonization progressed, French men started to come to the continent with their wives and a renewed theorized racism, and got desinterested in the Signares. Their association with English men (needless to say that English and France were not fukking with each other) also participated in the sentiment that these women were traitors, but also women of little virtue, prostitutes with devious customs. It signed the end of the signares.

During the 60s, as the themes of mixing in the context of mondialism got popular, their image got a lil better. Scouring through articles now, I notice that there is an obvious attempt, from Occidental observers notably, of making these women a feminist symbol. A « women gaining power through their smarts and their look, building societies » empowerment story.

This npr article for example (NPR Choice page), about this white American woman collecting many of the jewelry the Signares wore (that were being destroyed by Senegal artisans to make new pieces with different motives), who opened a gallery about them and commissionned senegalese artists to produce more Signare art.

smithsonian_112111~0.jpg
MJohnson05.jpg

I advise yall to read the very short article so as to make your own opinion, but the longer one from her website (In Senegal, Female Empowerment, Prestige and Wealth Is Measured in Glittering Gold | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian) is even more telling. You find nasty and pretty stupid rhetoric like this:

which is what happens when you let these people tell our history :unimpressed:

so they were basically bedwenches? no offense.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
@MischievousMonkey how much influence do the Mouride Brother have in Senegal society? I see that they recently built the biggest mosque in black african. How long is there money, how far they go back?
Sheesh. Crazy power and influence. Presidents and politicians have to pay their respect to them. They're the most powerful in this country as far as I know.

They were founded by Cheikh Amadou Bamba who fought colonialism in Senegal and is revered as the country icon. So that's a century old group we're talking about.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
so they were basically bedwenches? no offense.
I'm very aware of the Coli culture on the subject like I said in that other post, so I know how their story is going to be perceived.

I don't use that word and I don't think it's even accurate to describe them, whatever your opinion is on these women. The term bed***** designates women that were considered as property and sexually abused by their white enslavers. The Signares weren't forced to sleep with these Europeans, they made a choice, you get me?

But once again I know where you're coming from and I'm not mad at you seeing things like that.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Here's a collection of photographs of Moors in Senegal/Niger around the 1900s:

zoom_237.jpg

zoom_sans_titre185.jpg

tumblr_pc8p1yA6Ya1vrl29zo1_400.jpg

This one is probably a little older.

cd238826d0a14649e53ba9c1e8916a17--aboriginal-people-african-history.jpg

7ce22e495e975f8decaff4f604835797--african-men-african-diaspora.jpg

bbe0894b490dc81d7ef5359e34f855f5.jpg

S%C3%A9n%C3%A9gal-Maure_%28AOF%29.jpg