Advice on buying a new TV

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I just moved back in to my parent's house to save money for grad school and I'm looking at buying a new television for myself this month. I'm deciding between the 55" TCL 5 series ($480) or the 6 series ($650). I'm mostly going to use it to watch sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.), occasionally Netflix and PS4 (regular, not Pro).

Do you guys think I should go with the 5 series of the TCL or the 6 series? I know that the 6 series has what's called the "CCZ technology", but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between each. However, I do have the extra money to pony up another $100 to pay the difference- just not sure if it's worth it.
Also, do you guys recommend I order this TV online or should I go to Best Buy and buy it? I'm worried that it could get damaged in the truck / en route to my house. The nearest Best Buy that has these TVs are about 30-35 miles away from me.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
best buy got a sale on a 40 inch 4k samsung for 329.

id get somethin cheap since OLEDs gonna be the norm in a couple years. cheap lcd 4k for now n then get the oled 4k when the price drop:yeshrug:

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Moves back to save money

Spends $500 on an amenity

:wow: 2018 :wow:
I work 2 jobs, but I still don't feel like paying $1,000 a month while I go back to school to get my doctorate (anesthesia). But yeah you're right, if I can afford $500 to pay for a budget TV I might as well pony up the $75,000 I'd spend living by myself during this program. lmao ur a herb bruh

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I work 2 jobs, but I still don't feel like paying $1,000 a month while I go back to school to get my doctorate (anesthesia). But yeah you're right, if I can afford $500 to pay for a budget TV I might as well pony up the $75,000 I'd spend living by myself during this program. lmao ur a herb bruh
If $500 would be your only purchase, this would make sense. But to make such an immediate purchase so soon moving back, more than likely it wont be your only purchase.

The program is 75 months? (You said $1000 a month and is $75k)

You plan on staying at your parents house for next 75 months? (over 6 years)

just to clarify since you seem dumb at math, $500 one time purchase is 50% of the money of you planned to save ($1000 a month) this month and you still have 22 days of the month left.

You will have to make 0 purchases on gas, food, entertainment, social life, for the rest of the month to now save $500, 50% of your goal.

If I was a betting man, id wager that you will save $0 this month.

Oh fukk off. It's 500 bucks.

$500 is 50% of his budget goal in one purchase with 22 days left in the month :mjlol:

then we wonder why Americans so broke :mjlol:

"iTs JuSt FiVe HundRed BuCkS"

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
I just moved back in to my parent's house to save money

I'm looking at buying a new television

to watch sports

west1.gif

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I just moved back in to my parent's house to save money for grad school and I'm looking at buying a new television for myself this month. I'm deciding between the 55" TCL 5 series ($480) or the 6 series ($650). I'm mostly going to use it to watch sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.), occasionally Netflix and PS4 (regular, not Pro).

Do you guys think I should go with the 5 series of the TCL or the 6 series? I know that the 6 series has what's called the "CCZ technology", but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between each. However, I do have the extra money to pony up another $100 to pay the difference- just not sure if it's worth it.
Also, do you guys recommend I order this TV online or should I go to Best Buy and buy it? I'm worried that it could get damaged in the truck / en route to my house. The nearest Best Buy that has these TVs are about 30-35 miles away from me.
Always buy TVs in person so you can see what the picture quality looks like compared to other TVs. I recommend TVs with android OS so you can download apps straight to the tv. Also you should be able to get a nice tv for under 500

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Moving back into your parent's home and immediately buying a 4K TV :huhldup:

You not even considering how that looks to your parents? :patrice:

Ain't they gonna think you are taking advantage of them? :snoop:

Anyway, questionable morality aside, save up for 3 months and get an LG 4K OLED. You won't be disappointed.

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
If $500 would be your only purchase, this would make sense. But to make such an immediate purchase so soon moving back, more than likely it wont be your only purchase.

The program is 75 months? (You said $1000 a month and is $75k)

You plan on staying at your parents house for next 75 months? (over 6 years)

just to clarify since you seem dumb at math, $500 one time purchase is 50% of the money of you planned to save ($1000 a month) this month and you still have 22 days of the month left.

You will have to make 0 purchases on gas, food, entertainment, social life, for the rest of the month to now save $500, 50% of your goal.

If I was a betting man, id wager that you will save $0 this month.

$500 is 50% of his budget goal in one purchase with 22 days left in the month :mjlol:

then we wonder why Americans so broke :mjlol:

"iTs JuSt FiVe HundRed BuCkS"

damn son I appreciate you doing out all the math and getting your panties wet for me like this but my program is for 2.5 years and it's a total of $80,000. I have just about enough saved up to pay for it up front but obviously am working two per diem jobs to A) have pocket money and B) not have to rely on my parents for food, gas, etc. before this I worked two FULL time jobs and paid off the entire undergrad loan that I took out for nursing school.

also my parents wanted me to come back home because I ain't a fukk up like you probably are bruh. I seen you posting around here talking about "there's too many stickies in our forums" go back to doin that. love u doe

Last edited:

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Moving back into your parent's home and immediately buying a 4K TV :huhldup:

You not even considering how that looks to your parents? :patrice:

Ain't they gonna think you are taking advantage of them? :snoop:

Anyway, questionable morality aside, save up for 3 months and get an LG 4K OLED. You won't be disappointed.
nah moved back home in march when my lease ran up. my program started in may. my parents like when i'm home cause they be getting old and shyt and I help out by mowing the lawn, helping clean up the house, etc. parents are in their 60s.