Still coppin, though. Lol
latest

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Brehs I'm ~30 minutes in and just had to pause it real quick.

I'm Gonna finish it and I hope the game steps it up.

Something is......off.

I really want to love this game. I love journey and flower. I love underwater ANYTHING.

But so far this isn't doing it for me. I know I need to finish.

But I felt I had to take my mind off it to vent for a second and clear my mind before I hop back on.

It just feels like somebody played flower and journey and said me too.

The fact that your Character can meditate is just so on the nose that it made me laugh.

That it includes flowers mechanic where in that one you hit a flower it lights up and a pedal follows you in this where they just kinda throw in randomly for no purpose you touching a school of fish they light up and follow you for no real point is :francis:

And the interaction button/effect from journey is also slap dashed thrown in :francis:

When homey jumps up threw the water in the air like a whale with a bunch of whales just made me laugh and cringe :francis:

Gonna hop back on and hope this improves because this is a disappointment for me so far.

It lacks the heart of flower and journey and feels....forced.

:yeshrug:

I'll drop a review later.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Alright I finished this one off.

So,my thoughts. I won't spoiler any of the adventure since it does take some interesting turns.

My complaints about flower and journey stuff being thrown in stand.

Here's my issue. That stuff felt shoe horned in as nothing but....fan service? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's how it felt. If so, when your games are aiming for art,fan service has no place.

My main gripe with Abzu is it feels half baked at times. It's a game aiming to be art. But instead of the experience of flower and journey where the way the game makes you feel is the art itself,this game feels like you're merely observing beautiful scenery instead of being apart of it. There is less game play here then either of those games.

I finished it in less than 2 hours and it's definitely shorter than flower or journey.

On the positive side this game is beautiful. I must have taken a 100 photos.

The places it takes you are surprising and that was a pleasant surprise.

Even though it seems like I'm down on this it's still well done. I just expected another masterpiece and this was merely good with moments of greatness.

I will probably revisit this one again down the line and see if anything changes for me. But again it just feels like somebody played flower and journey and tried to make their own and fell short.

8/10

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’d be lying if i said i wasn’t highly enjoying this game. I feel like I’m playing Ecco the Dolphin but not frustrating.

ExgK_L1XIAAhAfB

ExgQa8fWYAYmjym

ExgQgWVWYAEM0y6

Last edited: