Abernathy: a digital publication for Black men

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
From what cam linked this isn't the case

Did you read the article about patriarchy?

I love reading various opinions (as long as they are well thought out)

Interesting stuff. I read the "Can the Angry Black Guy have White friends".

I can see his points, but I don't agree with all of it. I love it :blessed:

Wish I could rep :ehh:

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-07-03%2Bat%2B1.27.35%2BAM.png

Decentralizing Masculinity: The Opening — Abernathy
Eradicating Patriarchy From Movement Spaces — Abernathy
Black Men, We Must Hold Ourselves and Each Other Accountable — Abernathy
It is Not the Duty of Black Women to Smash Patriarchy — Abernathy

"It is on Black men to give up our relative privileges in order that Black women would be able to not just survive, but thrive in this socio-political climate."

"In the corporate world, Black women are the lowest on the totem pole, often making 64 cents to every dollar made by white men and dealing with sexual harassment/gendered comments on the job, things which generally speaking, Black men do not have to deal with at work. To be clear, there are definitely certain advantages to being a Black man in America. Even if you do not see these advantages, they are there, and that’s what is commonly referred to as privilege. Therefore, when Black women expose the systemic issues they face at the hands of Black men, Black men cannot pretend that Black women inventing these anecdotes."

:why:

My privilege is not getting cat called at work and making a tad more at work than you :what:

But I'm still "below" white folk :dwillhuh:

We ain't winning at all :mindblown:

How am I holding anyone down. Unless it's my existence :sas2:

Dude keeps saying I have all these privileges, but doesn't name anything that holds up under scrutiny :manny:

"B-b-b-but it's there, I assure you :krs:"

:scusthov:

1. Black men should listen to the lived experiences of Black women without debates on those experiences.
  2. Patriarchy is a system of emotional, physical, and spiritual violence towards women.
  3. Gay Black men should know they are not exempt from expressing anti-Black woman sentiments.
  4. Black women don’t have to choose between being Black and being a woman because they are simultaneously both at the same time and thus face double the weight in the context of their existence in America.
  5. Black women should have to have their humanity conditioned upon the relationship of other Black women to Black men, because their humanity should be enough for Black men to respect them outright and,
  6. Black women are not sluts for expressing their sexual nature with whoever they choose to and that “body counts” are only another tool used by Black men who adhere to Patriarchy to oppress Black women with.

Bruh, these are points straight out of the white girl feminist handbook :snoop:

This isn't the oppression olympics

The bolded just made me laugh :mjlol:

"There was also a discussion on patriarchy’s oppression of men in general, and Black men in particular, within the Black American cultural conceptualization of patriarchy. Patriarchy does not only keep Black women in a particular place, space or context. It does the exact same to Black men, prescribing rigidly imposed gender roles which serve to instruct men that they cannot cry or they are weak. Also, patriarchy insinuates that men should not want a woman who cannot cook because cooking is an expected role for women, which implies that men should wait for a woman to cook, thus demeaning both men and women at the same time with the same set of warped expectations along the gender lines."

It keeps you a manchild brehs. Your oppressed too:francis:

But not as oppressed as the women. Don't forget that :francis:

"Although patriarchy also negatively impacts Black men, the brunt of its force is placed squarely on the backs of Black women. Its impact on Black men is only felt peripherally because patriarchy, as it functions in Black America, is the result of centuries of White Supremacist and cultural violence on Black structures and families. Patriarchy is inherently male and man-centric. The concerns, experiences and frustration of women, and as it pertains to this discussion, Black women, are placed on the back-burner and dismissed wholly by Black men because we are repeatedly stressed to focus on the issues of Black men first."

When it comes to school, teachers tend to ignore or outright dismiss the talent and ability of Black girls, suspecting them of cheating which can lead to depriving them of access to gifted and talented programs or removing their eligibility from AP or dual credit classes. In the financial industry, Black women who run businesses are the least supported demographic by banks or other money lending organizations. This flies in contraction to the fact that Black women are the most successful business owners in America. Patriarchy and misogynoir are equally responsible as Black men do not start businesses as often or as successfully as Black women, yet still receive grants or loans largely due to the idea that Black men will be able to pay it off.

Yo this needs receipts:patrice:

"To eradicate patriarchy, Black men will have to remove ourselves from the center of the conversation, from the center of the room, and from the center of the “default” in discussions of the marginalization of Blackness. Until we learn how to effectively take back seats to Black women, this system will continue to control their lives. We will have to remove our feelings when Black women are talking about their experiences with Black men, especially when the discussion is about how we contribute to their oppression and subjugation. We will have to stop interrupting them with our incessant cries of “not all men” and we should listen when they tell us how we continue to destroy them while saying we love them."

So you want me to step back and listen:ehh:
It's their turn to forge ahead :ehh:

At the cost of men being on the bench? Ok:ehh:

"But you must smash down the Patriarchy! :ufdup:"

:why:

You follow an Ism, you done :yeshrug: All that energy in the wrong place. Divide, divide, divide. :martin:

I wasted enough time on this subject. Never again. Someone bring up this shyt again, I'm just gonna link em this post.

Um. Ghouls

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The climb
I love reading various opinions (as long as they are well thought out)

You follow an Ism, you done All that energy in the wrong place. Divide, divide, divide.

I wasted enough time on this subject. Never again. Someone bring up this shyt again, I'm just gonna link em this post.

Ass as those articles were, it's still seems pretty open as a platform. Someone should write some misogynist shyt, post it up and see if this site means what it says.