A toddler cried non-stop during a flight. Two strangers locked her in the bathroom

bnew

Veteran
Daps

A toddler cried non-stop during a flight. Two strangers locked her in the bathroom​

By Joyce Jiang and Nectar Gan, CNN

2 minute read

Published 3:45 AM EDT, Fri August 30, 2024

A Juneyao Airlines plane prepares to land at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on December 22, 2023.

A Juneyao Airlines plane prepares to land at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on December 22, 2023.

AFP/Getty Images/File

Editor’s Note: Sign up for CNN’s Meanwhile in China newsletter which explores what you need to know about the country’s rise and how it impacts the world.

Hong Kong CNN —

Two airline passengers who locked a stranger’s crying grandchild in a plane restroom have caused outrage in China and sparked a heated online debate on how to handle upset children in public spaces.

The incident went viral this week after one of the two women involved posted a video on Chinese social media, which showed them inside a locked lavatory with the wailing girl, who appeared to be about a year old.

“We won’t let you out unless you stop crying,” a woman sitting on the toilet told the toddler as she struggled out of the adult’s lap and reached for the door, according to the video posted on Douyin, China’s version of TikTok.

As the girl stopped crying, the woman filming the video picked her up and told her: “If you make any noise again, we’ll come back (to the bathroom).”

The incident took place August 24 aboard a Juneyao Airlines flight from the southwestern city of Guiyang to Shanghai.

The toddler was flying with her grandparents and cried non-stop during the nearly three-hour flight, the airline said in a statement Monday. The two passengers took the child to the restroom to “educate her” with her grandmother’s consent, the statement added.

But a day later, as criticism mounted, the airline’s customer service department apologized for the incident and “oversight of the crew,” adding it condemned the two passengers’ behavior, according to the state-run Southern Metropolis Daily.

One of the women, who posted the video online, said her intention was to ensure a “restful flight” for other passengers. But her post quickly met a backlash, with many social media users accusing her of being heartless and bullying the child. The video was later deleted.

“Adults in their 30s can have emotional breakdowns, but people don’t allow toddlers to have theirs,” said one comment on China’s X-like Weibo platform, garnering thousands of likes.

“We were all once children … Don’t be a cold-blooded adult,” read another popular comment.

Many others expressed concern that the incident may negatively impact the child’s mental health.

Multiple Chinese state media outlets have also weighed in, accusing the two women of “inappropriate” behavior and calling for “greater understanding” from the public toward young children who cannot control their emotions.

In recent years, complaints about young children crying or acting out on flights and trains have regularly trended on Chinese social media, with many accusing parents of not doing enough to manage their kids’ behavior.

These incidents have fueled an ongoing debate about parenting in public places in China, where the government is desperately trying to persuade couples to have more children.

Lambent55

All Star
Daps
“We won’t let you out unless you stop crying,” a woman sitting on the toilet told the toddler as she struggled out of the adult’s lap and reached for the door, according to the video posted on Douyin, China’s version of TikTok.
Title made it seem like they locked her in the bathroom by herself, they were in there with her.

Unless there is other details I'm missing, this seems like the same thing parents do to children who are crying in church, take the outside to the bathroom.

Last edited:

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I suggest you all who already commented go back and re-read the entire post. Some of your negative statements about the Chinese do not align with how the actual people of China reacted to what happened. To give a hint, it looks like the majority of them disapprove of what was done to the child.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
China is HOP

Hard on People

no one is surprised

Do whatever you can to not let these savages take over the world

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did the grandparents not stop her from crying? That was their job.

They didn't do it so two women offered to help. The grandparents agreed and they got the kid to stop crying. They didn't lock her in there alone. They sat with the kid in the bathroom.

They shouldn't have filmed her.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
:mjlol: at them telling a 1 year old they won't let her out the bathroom until she stopped crying and thinking that would stop her from crying (Wellp, didn't make it to the part of the article here, so I'll hold the L for this statement)

:mjlol: at them for thinking putting it on social media themselves would stop them from getting negs on their Chinese social score.

Edit:
social-credit-system-china-social-credit.gif

Last edited:

Lambent55

All Star
Daps
:mjlol: at them telling a 1 year old they won't let her out the bathroom until she stopped crying and thinking that would stop her from crying
As the girl stopped crying, the woman filming the video picked her up and told her: “If you make any noise again, we’ll come back (to the bathroom).”
:manny:

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Babies are annoying on long flights. And somehow I always get end up in the same row with them :francis:

One time I was in a row with a family(a wife and kid and the wife was holding a baby). The husband was on the flight but some how a couple rows behind . Onthe way to the bathroom , i offered to switch seat with him so he could sit with his family and this fool turned down my offer. :gucci: Soon as I got back to my seat I told the wife if it would make it easier for her I could switch with her husband and she obliged. Stood up and called her husband over:lolbron:.
Dude gave me :martin::sadcam:as we crossed paths to oust seat. The guy sitting next to him hit me with the:russ:.