A study about afro-dominican roots

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Back in March I did my ancestrydna test. When I received it, I was messaged by someone requesting my results for a study he was conducting about afro-dominican roots. I thought it was interesting so I gave him my results.

He messaged me this morning with his final findings and results. Really interesting shyt.

I realize this will probably turn into a fukk Dominicans thread but since I know a lot of you are really into this stuff I decided to share anyway.

Dominican Results

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
There might however be a regional bias towards results from the socalled Cibao area, in the north of the Dominican Republic. Out of 41 persons who stated their regional origins within the Dominican Republic or which i was able to verify myself 30 were from the Cibao while 7 others had partial origins from the Cibao. Only 4 persons stated their origins as being solely from the eastern or southern part of the Dominican Republic.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
The Taino heritage of Dominicans is very overstated . It is relatively high in PR. native ancestry is only really prevalent in a handful of islands in the Caribbean

In terms of blood or dna yea its low, but culturally there is still some influence. Many words we use and area names and even some last names were passed down from tainos.

But Yea genetically it's very low.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
In terms of blood or dna yea its low, but culturally there is still some influence. Many words we use and area names and even some last names were passed down from tainos.

But Yea genetically it's very low.
What Taino words do Dominicans use?

Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
I'm in this thread like:

7629.jpg

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
What Taino words do Dominicans use?

One example is when saying 'a little'

'Un chin' is Spanish

'un poquito' is taino

Depending on where u are it's used interchangeably.

Different items too are referred to with taino words like conuco(woods) batata(sweet potato) cassabe (cassava)

Places too like San Pedro de 'macoris' which was a tribe or something I believe. Thats a city in DR. Azua, nagua, etc

Dr itself is sometimes referred to as quisqueya.

Everybody knows how much Dominicans love plantains which is an African food that came over with the slaves, but few people mention the food that is always on the plate with plantains which is yuca aka cassava which was a staple of all indigenous people's diets. We also eat alot of cassava bread.

My mother's maiden name is Ynoa which is a taino word meaning poison.

The Dictionary of the Taino Language

Genetically speaking it may be nearly extinct but culturally it isn't.

The Dictionary Of The Taino Language

Maybe 40 to 50 percent of those words are regularly used in DR.