A nikka thinking about adopting a cat :wow:

Flexington

All Star
Daps
Welcome to the set breh :salute:

I never had a pet and became a reluctant member once my girl moved in during quarantine. Now he's more my homie than hers (she mad :umad:)

General Tips:

1. Litter box - get a good sized one so they have space. Scoop it twice a day to keep it clean. Get some good quality litter you don't want those smells wafting through the apt. Also consider a litter mat to put under it as it will help cut down on them tracking litter everywhere.
2. Food - Wet food is preferred, just don't do solely dry food. They don't really need carbs like that and it can lead to problems kidney problems and urinary problems (especially for males)
3. Toys - get a variety of cheap toys to play with. If it's a kitten it will want to play a lot and it's hard to know what toy type they'll like so get a few cheap ones. Get a decent sized cat tree with scratching posts. Scratching posts will keep them from clawing up your stuff, and dull their claws so you won't have to clip them as often.
4. Indoor/Outdoor - Indoor all the way. Just less problems in general. If you have them outdoors you'll need to supervise them unless you don't give a damn about your local ecosystem (or your cat). If you want them to go adventuring look into getting them used to a harness.
5. Grooming - They're pretty clean and take care of themselves. If the cat is indoor don't need to wash em. If you do, do it like once a month. Brush em consistently if you have time. Helps keep down the amount of loose fur/lessens the chances of the cat getting hairballs. Clip their nails from time to time.
6. Sleep - feed and play with them for a while before turning down for the night. Helps tire them out which should let you sleep in peace. Get them used to a closed bedroom door early if you want guaranteed uninterrupted sleep.

Daps
First of all, don’t let anyone shame you for being a single heterosexual man with a cat.

:ufdup:

I suggest female cats, because male cats are more likely to spray, and stink up your place. I’ve only had female cats, and people tell me if they never saw the cat, they wouldn’t know I have cats. BUT, be prepared for the cat hair. You will have to vacuum at least twice a week, or use the swiffer pet pads, and go over the floor frequently. Buy lint rollers, and don’t leave your clothes on the bed while you shower, because unless the cat is in the bathroom with you while you shower, it’s going to be sitting on your fresh clothes when you get out.

Buy plenty of toys, and a cat tunnel for a kitten, because they like to play, and they will get into stuff. You’ll get mad at first, but they’re so cute, you’ll let it go.

I’m not in favor of letting cats go outside. They can get into fights with other cats, and there are possums, and rac00ns outside. My neighbors let their cat go outside, and when I get up with my wife, and take the trash out, that cat is under our cars. (She works outside the home, I work from home 75% of the time, but I get up with her to be supportive.)

Keep the nails clipped, and only clip the clear part. They will mess up your furniture.

Name it a real human name, because that’s funnier than some dumb shyt like Mittens, or Buttons. I used to feed a stray cat I named Buttons before I knew better. That’s a street name. Your cat is a member of your family.

Kittens need kitten food. Science Diet is the go-to brand. Fancy Feast is too rich for their stomachs. Dry food is the norm, but wet food can be a once or twice a week treat. Cats act like they’ve been starved to death when you give them treats. Don’t buy store brand. They won’t eat it. As they get older Meow Mix is fine, and I switch up the wet food between Sheba, and Fancy Feast. Always keep cat snacks on deck.

Be prepared, you will turn into this:

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
:myman: My #CatSet nikkas - y’all about to get a new member.

:salute: I never had a pet before. I live alone in a one bedroom apartment. Give me all your do’s and don’ts, recommendations, best food (dry and wet) as well as treats, litter and litter boxes, toys and all that. Put a nikka on.

@KnickstapeCity
first off adopt two cats so they have fellow cat company and they can play with each other

get teo litter boxes because some cats don't like to share a litter box
give them separately bowls of food

cats are really low maintenance, they clean themselves and you don't have to walk them outside in the winter like dogs

play with your cats and show them affection, cats are very affectionate

get two cat beds for them because they prefer to sleep in them

get them some cat toys too, they're extremely cheap

get a cat scratcher so they can scratch that as opposed to your furniture

don't let your cats out the house, I've known too many people whose cats got hit by cars including one of my neighbors recently

cats also have benefits, they relax you, calm your blood pressure and raise your mood

don't feed them human food no matter how much they try to get food off your plate, plus it can make them sick or kill them

but get two cats breh, not one

edit...don't get your cats cheap generic food, get them some healthy high quality name brand food

Last edited:

Nokids

Promise if I have a seed imma guide him right
Daps
Reppin
Getting a cat was one of the best things I ever did in my life . Had him since he was 2 months now he’s a year. It’s like having a roommate, y’all hang when you want to and stay separate if you want to chill.

Had bytches feed my cat with chopsticks on some
Playa shyt! While others will be scared or look at you funny.. fukk em! Your cat will be your little homie for life

Daps
@KnickstapeCity
first off adopt two cats so they have fellow cat company and they can play with each other

get teo litter boxes because some cats don't like to share a litter box
give them separately bowls of food

cats are really low maintenance, they clean themselves and you don't have to walk them outside in the winter like dogs

play with your cats and show them affection, cats are very affectionate

get two cat beds for them because they prefer to sleep in them

get them some cat toys too, they're extremely cheap

get a cat scratcher so they can scratch that as opposed to your furniture

don't let your cats out the house, I've known too many people whose cats got hit by cars including one of my neighbors recently

cats also have benefits, they relax you, calm your blood pressure and raise your mood

don't feed them human food no matter how much they try to get food off your plate, plus it can make them sick or kill them

but get two cats breh, not one

edit...don't get your cats cheap generic food, get them some healthy high quality name brand food
I second getting two cats at the same time who are bonded. They have them at the shelters.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Welcome to the set breh :salute:

I never had a pet and became a reluctant member once my girl moved in during quarantine. Now he's more my homie than hers (she mad :umad:)

General Tips:

1. Litter box - get a good sized one so they have space. Scoop it twice a day to keep it clean. Get some good quality litter you don't want those smells wafting through the apt. Also consider a litter mat to put under it as it will help cut down on them tracking litter everywhere.
2. Food - Wet food is preferred, just don't do solely dry food. They don't really need carbs like that and it can lead to problems kidney problems and urinary problems (especially for males)
3. Toys - get a variety of cheap toys to play with. If it's a kitten it will want to play a lot and it's hard to know what toy type they'll like so get a few cheap ones. Get a decent sized cat tree with scratching posts. Scratching posts will keep them from clawing up your stuff, and dull their claws so you won't have to clip them as often.
4. Indoor/Outdoor - Indoor all the way. Just less problems in general. If you have them outdoors you'll need to supervise them unless you don't give a damn about your local ecosystem (or your cat). If you want them to go adventuring look into getting them used to a harness.
5. Grooming - They're pretty clean and take care of themselves. If the cat is indoor don't need to wash em. If you do, do it like once a month. Brush em consistently if you have time. Helps keep down the amount of loose fur/lessens the chances of the cat getting hairballs. Clip their nails from time to time.
6. Sleep - feed and play with them for a while before turning down for the night. Helps tire them out which should let you sleep in peace. Get them used to a closed bedroom door early if you want guaranteed uninterrupted sleep.

yes fellow my advice and @Flexington info and it will be smooth sailing, I would suggest kittens from the same litter for the bond between them