A long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away....everyone was somehow from the United Kingdom on Earth

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
So I'm watching Andor for the first time and low and behold, like 75% of the characters, race aside, have British accents.

You have ABSOLUTE CARTE BLANCHE TO DO ANYTHING. But star wars (they are by no means the only culprit) some how has another show with everyone with European accents (MAYBE the rare Spanish accent).

They have back to back new introduced protagonists (the force awakens and rouge 1) that were women with British accents.

.if you hear another accent or voice than the 10% American accent characters, it is a novelty. Like, an outsider or some tradesman in a dirty shop.

This has slowly turned me off of the star wars universe tbh. Planets upon planets, we get more and more euro voices even as droids, hill people, etc.

I can't be alone in noticing and being annoyed by this.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
this is a fantasy trope that needs to go away
I give a pass for shyt like game of thrones but for space operas and dramas? Or world's where you are creating everything...? It's a lazy trope and IMHO it makes people think the acting is actually better than it is.

Why the fukk do droids have English accents?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
i agree they overdo it but there's also a dearth of American actors now. Not that American accents should be the replacement..
Yeah, that's my point, there are thousands of languages and accents the writers can use. Andor sounds like TOP BOY. Rogue one and episodes 7-9 are almost as bad.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
this is a fantasy trope that needs to go away

This. There was a news story about it. Do you remember all those 60s and 50s movies like Hercules and Ben Hur?

Well all those actors I guess were formally trained so it almost sounds like they’re speaking with a British accent. Somehow Hollywood went from using formally trained theater actors with that I think it’s called the New England school of acting (like James Earl Jones), those stage actor voices to using actual British actors or having actors faking British accents.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
maybe they are the only ones left in the future

:mjpls:

predictive programming

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
It comes from the old trope that the British way of acting is the most formal. Same reason why Ancient Greek and Roman films use their accents. It’s a naturally more antiquated sounding tongue. Be honest…the “Are you not entertained speech” in Gladiator sounds a hell of a lot better from Russell Crowe than let’s say Tom Cruise.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
UK theatre people have by far better training, and they're cheaper for US studios to use than American actors who are most likely in a union. Even with that said, there's no reason for Oded Fehr or Shohreh Aghdashloo to be as underutilized as they have been. Or Moran Atias, or Ashref Barhom. Or any number of other people.

For that matter, why is this legend not running missions for Saw Gerrera?

r57X5qo.gif