A Haunting in Venice star/direct by Kenneth Barnagh as Hercule Poirot, Hulu Halloween

Daps
I went to see this last Thursday. I was disappointed. For reference I am a fan of Agatha Christie and liked Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express and less so of his Death on the Nile.
This one didn't hit it for me. First it is very loosely based on Agatha Christie's novel Halloween Party and actually has nothing at all to do with that book outside of Poirot.
Secondly this was a boring murder mystery IMHO. It took place in the beautiful Venice but outside of an open and closing shot - which probably took about 5 hours to film the entire film takes place in a large house which is so darkly lit it is hard to see what is happening.
Also for anyone looking for a horror film it ain't that either with the "horror" elements as solely jump scares which add nothing to the plot.
This is a rental for the Branagh fans at best.

Last edited:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I went to see this last Thursday. I was disappointed. For reference I am a fan of Agatha Christie and liked Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express and less so of his Death on the Nile.
This one didn't hit it for me. First it is very loosely based on Agatha Christie's novel Halloween Party and actually has nothing at all to do with that book outside of Poirot.
Secondly this was a boring murder mystery IMHO. It took place in the beautiful Venice but outside of an open and closing shot - which probably took about 5 hours to film the entire film takes place in a large house which is so darkly lit it is hard to see what is happening.
Also for anyone looking for a horror film it ain't that either with the "horror" elements as solely jump scares which add nothing to the plot.
This is a rental for the Branagh fans at best.
im disappointed most on what happened to michelle yeoch

trailers misleadsing like hell

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
I actually liked it. Very disjointed and unsettling due to the plot. Thought Branagh was better here than in the previous two.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I liked it. I'm loving Branagh's Poirot, and more importantly, I'm loving how he's portraying Poirot's world. The way that people react and interact with him is amusing. I never read this one, but overall it was entertaining. The jump scares were blah, though.

Tina Fey was having a blast in this, but Michelle Yeoh was wasted...actually I don't think they let most of the characters play off one another enough, which is my only gripe.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I liked the set design and visuals, the production and costume design, the masks on the canals and gondolas was much spookier and visually stimulating than the material probably deserved.

It wasn't a bad watch, but felt kind of disengaged, as the plot kicked in about 30 minutes in. Think what I realize I don't like about this style of murder mystery is that as Ebert would have said, they give you almost NO CHANCE to actually solve the murder, or ID a suspect, because the explanations and motives are things that the audience isn't given, or/and so convoluted, as to be entirely unbelievable.

Ebert liked to say that the movies involving mystery played fair or not, and this one doesn't. I get it, it's a period murder mystery with an iconic lead, and you can just sit back and enjoy it, and I know that going in, in all honesty, but the explanation was so bizarre, it was anticlimatic. And that was the criticism of Christie's novels. Too focused on the mechanism. The old ones, were such stunning productions, Sidney Lumet did Dead on The Nile, but the actual plot and all that is pretty dull.

I got close just off basic intuition and foreshadowing, about two characters, Fey, and the kid reading Poe is a pretty big indicator, but the actual mystery and killing is unsolvable, and not in a good way.