A Different World sequel series is in development at Netflix

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
people gonna complain either way, but A Different World more or less is the OG black show thats heavy handed about issues and what not.

Don't mind this at all.
Although I feel like they waited 15 years too long and these sequal series to shows I liked always suck because the kids aren't interesting, but they are the main focus. I still want them to get a show made.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
I recently learned that executives can only operate on IPs now in Hollywood.

You won't get fired if your project is based on existing franchises. If you take a gamble on something new, it will be in the horror genre because it's cheap and losses are negligible

We won't stop seeing reboots and sequels until executives stop getting fired for taking risks.

No one wants this show.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
I recently learned that executives can only operate on IPs now in Hollywood.

You won't get fired if your project is based on existing franchises. If you take a gamble on something new, it will be in the horror genre because it's cheap and losses are negligible

We won't stop seeing reboots and sequels until executives stop getting fired for taking risks.

No one wants this show.
What does this mean in English ?

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
Basically, if a boss at Disney wants a new movie about 4 black teenagers, he can't call it "No cap" and feature it as a new and original movie.

Instead, it will be a reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... but with 4 black teens as the voice artists. Because TMNT is an established franchise with a lot of people who will watch just off the name.

They aren't encouraged to make new shows or movies that are original. Cause if it flops, they get fired.

I'd say the only guy who's pushing new and original movies and shows, consistently, is Tyler Perry. And I'm not kidding :skip:

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He's basically saying that you have a better chance getting a show green lit these days that's a reboot or a re-make, than you do getting a new original show green lit. These producers and Hollywood exec's are scared to death of taking the leap to create new original programming (especialy on network TV), because 9 times out of 10, they will toss the series in the garbage before you get to episode 5 or 6 of the pilot, if the ratings aren't what they should be. Remakes & re-boots work, because you're relying on nostalgia (which sells), and familiarity.