A Brief History Of Seven Killings by Marlon James

mr x

Superstar
Daps
-Timothy diflorio, you stop right there
-wha'appen daddy?
-Batman. He's lonely here on the seat. Where did superman go?
-maybe he fell.
-hand it over little man. Or I'll walk you to your classroom myself and hold your hand the entire way
-babylon business this.
:dead:

Jards

All Star
Daps
-Timothy diflorio, you stop right there
-wha'appen daddy?
-Batman. He's lonely here on the seat. Where did superman go?
-maybe he fell.
-hand it over little man. Or I'll walk you to your classroom myself and hold your hand the entire way
-babylon business this.
:dead:
:russ:

Jards

All Star
Daps
Into the final 100 pages or so....

why the fukk is there so many gay gangsters in this book? :martin:

Dude goes into graphic detail as well :whoa:

Just read the other day that Marlon James himself is gay which explains a lot as there were a couple of gay undertones at the beginning, a lot which were unnecessary but now dude just ODing on the gay shyt. The plot still is moving (Griselda Blanco in this bytch now) but the gay under and overtones is almost making it seem like he's using the book to push some type of gay agenda. Most of it ain't necessary and the final third almost ruins the book and overshadow the first two acts which were fire. Could see this being a classic series but they need to tone down the gay shyt cause it's pretty much unbelievable [/spolier]

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I'm glad HBO picked this up. I'm 200 pages in. This needs to be a series or a miniseries at the very least. It's like Faulkner meets Shottas.

I was disappointed after reading The Cartel (another dope book) that Ridley Scott's turning that into a movie. Too much going in these piff novels to only reduce them 2-3 hour movies.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I loved parts of this book.....I was less impressed by others, loved the early scenes in Kingston, Bam Bam, Demus, Josey Wales, Weeper, I was less interested in the Rolling Stone guy, or the CIA, or a few other characters. After reading this, and an in depth chapter in 'Gangster Warlords' about Christopher Coke Dudus, whose character is killed in this, but whose Dad Lester Llyod Coke, is based upon Josey Wales, I really want to go to Jamaica. I have a few other places on my list, but I want to make that happen. No resorts, I want to stay in Kingston and go to some of these places....I have a contact or two I can get in touch with.

The intro is chilling....the scenes with Funnyboy are brutal. I thought it got a little too overwrought in some points, towards the end, but an amazing accomplishment of a book.

I also loved 'The Cartel', though Winslow overreaches in the end, and it goes way too Hollywood for my taste...but some of the passages and sections of that book are incredible. Winslow in general is really great author, I love his work. Ridley Scott impressed me with 'The Counselor', but none of these adaptations or directors have been able to capture the realism of 'Traffic', and expand upon the world it depicted into the new bloodier and more overt violence in Tijuana, and the rest of Mexico. It's all very insultingly over the top and offensive, or dull, when not both. 'Savages', in Oliver Stone's hands was a complete debacle.

@Jards, I am as liberal as they come regarding that subject, but I agree, it was excessive and not needed in many points, though effective in the first part. By the last few chapters I was kind of in disbelief it had went that far, with that much time devoted to the subject. I assumed the same about the author, though never confirmed.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
My brother's been recommending this for me for the last couple of months - copped yesterday so I can read it this weekend.