Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I know that I Am... was originally going to be released in 1998 before the leak, then it got pushed back. I don't think the track list was finalized, so that explains why some leaked tracks made the album and others didn't. Also, Columbia wanted Nas to put out another album with the leaked tracks that didn't make I Am..., but he decided to make a new album instead (even though there are leftover songs like "Project Windows").

Nas said he was going through a lot around that time and it explains why that era was full of frustration and darkness in his lyrics. I think @Awesome Wells said that Nas didn't want to pay for high-end beats after the leak, which explains why some of the production in this era wasn't the best. Then there's the stuff that he recorded like Death of Escobar that was never actually released.

I feel like Nas was overflowing with ideas during this period, but they just weren't coming together into anything cohesive. It wasn't until Stillmatic that he was able to focus again and channel his ideas into another cohesive album like Illmatic and It Was Written.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
This era of Nas produced the most classic material out of any era, probably because this is the era he recorded the most material altogether.

There were some bad songs that made albums, but no other era of Nas had more classic material released or unreleased, than the 1998-pre Stillmatic period.

He had about 2 or 3 Illmatic/IWW level albums worth of material on hand

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I was in HS during these yrs

Nas was still considered elite during the I Am era...and that album was well-received in real time

Nastradamus changed the perception of him...that's why Stillmatic is the most impt album of his career

Nas went from elite to overlooked to elite again in a 3 yr span
Can y’all stop with the damn Nas threads.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1999-2001 is when Nas, at the time, and in the moment seemed to be flailing

Nastramdamus was poorly received, and some of his higher profile features and verses were for a lot of people too "flossy thug"

The video for You Owe Me, which was popular in late 1999

There was the Jermaine Dupri backed "I Got To Have It", (how could I forget You Owe Me) in 2000, there were a few more around that time, pointed to Nas kind of losing an edge, too much shirt unbuttoned QB piece out, Oochie Wally didn't help, but then you had the excellent verses on that album, plus Find Your Wealth, and Self Conscience

he was still killing verses, doing a weird, Scarface/indie movie/tortured soul thing, on verses like Turn Up The Mics, Let My nikkas Live, Livin Thug, Eye For An Eye Freestyle,

when Jay dropped Takeover, people felt like Nas was severely on the ropes, but Stillmatic freestyle was seen as a return to form

in retrospect, a lot of this was just people being young, and not appreciating the growth and transitions that artists make

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Also, It's Mine is from this era

so obvious this was just era's moving very quickly, Nas embracing and even setting some of the trends of late 90's, and also people being very influenced by singles and videos

because he clearly never lost a step.