RUSSIA/РОССИЯ THREAD—ASSANGE CHRGD W/ SPYING—DJT IMPEACHED TWICE-US TREASURY SANCTS KILIMNIK AS RUSSIAN AGNT

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Snowden need to be hanged... I hope the next Dem president go after him and bring him back to the US to face trial and death penalty for treason
Short sighted view imo.

In the case of Snowden, his release of files were a necessary check on the NSA and its spy activities with many going overboard. What national security purpose does collective emails, phonecalls, texts of 120 million Verizon subscribers serve? What does 90% of those under surveillance by the NSA being American do to protect us against terrorists? What does using the spy capabilities to spy on their love interests have to do with national security (including link to prove the ridiculousness LOVEINT: When NSA officers use their spying power on love interests ) ? What did building files such as nude photos and texts of those deemed by the US under a vague term of "Radical" (remember we now have far right individuals at the head of government who view domestic liberals as being a bigger threat) do for national security?

I could go on. I can even concede and agree that I think Julian Assange and Wikileaks have been compromised by the Russian government and are as a front. But personally, I'm all for occasional leaks with good justification on institutions that are incredibly secret to act as a check. They claim they were only unmasking and acting against foreign interests but given the fact they were spying on their own lovers, which I think you can assume are in the US, how trustworthy is that claim. Remember when James Clapper flat out lied about whether they were spying on American citizens in front of congress?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Short sighted view imo.

In the case of Snowden, his release of files were a necessary check on the NSA and its spy activities with many going overboard. What national security purpose does collective emails, phonecalls, texts of 120 million Verizon subscribers serve? What does 90% of those under surveillance by the NSA being American do to protect us against terrorists? What does using the spy capabilities to spy on their love interests have to do with national security (including link to prove the ridiculousness LOVEINT: When NSA officers use their spying power on love interests ) ? What did building files such as nude photos and texts of those deemed by the US under a vague term of "Radical" (remember we now have far right individuals at the head of government who view domestic liberals as being a bigger threat) do for national security?

I could go on. I can even concede and agree that I think Julian Assange and Wikileaks have been compromised by the Russian government and are as a front. But personally, I'm all for occasional leaks with good justification on institutions that are incredibly secret to act as a check. They claim they were only unmasking and acting against foreign interests but given the fact they were spying on their own lovers, which I think you can assume are in the US, how trustworthy is that claim. Remember when James Clapper flat out lied about whether they were spying on American citizens in front of congress?

most of what Snowden released, I saw some analysis that said over 80% of what was reported in media, dealt with foreign intelligence.

The public knew about STELLAR WIND, ROOM 641A, and ECHELON for a long, long time.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
most of what Snowden released, I saw some analysis that said over 80% of what was reported in media, dealt with foreign intelligence.

The public knew about STELLAR WIND, ROOM 641A, and ECHELON for a long, long time.
They did not know about PRISM. Secondly, these revelations need to happen, and needs to happen in a very public way regardless of previous knowledge in order in order to put feet to the fire to minimize future abuses. I'm not against having an intelligence service but you need to realize there are inherent dangers in having an institution essentially acting as a 4th branch of government trying to be unanswerable to the public. It has to be checked. This doesn't change in my opinion because there is the perception they are now acting against someone you dislike (Trump) and I don't even believe that is the case fully as much as some people think here.

Like you said various analysis have shown a good chunk of data released was also related to foreign intelligence. But from my understanding the information released to the media was selected by journalists and Snowden to keep it confined to either domestic spying or items not related to fighting terrorism or "enemies" for example. The rest has remained encrypted. I'm not very comfortable myself leaving that discretion to a contractor and I agree that had it been more confined to just domestic surveillance it was be even more justified. But this is part of a larger debate on security vs liberty that has been a problem since this country was founded. I argue that a lot of the restriction in liberties in lieu of security since 9/11 are really just fronts to increase government power while still not increasing security by the proportional amount of liberty lost. Its a pick your poison situation.

You want to go after him for foreign spy operation exposures ok. I don't have much of dog in that fight. But I still appreciate the exposure of domestic spying activities personally.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
They did not know about PRISM. Secondly, these revelations need to happen, and needs to happen in a very public way regardless of previous knowledge in order in order to put feet to the fire to minimize future abuses. I'm not against having an intelligence service but you need to realize there are inherent dangers in having an institution essentially acting as a 4th branch of government trying to be unanswerable to the public. It has to be checked. This doesn't change in my opinion because there is the perception they are now acting against someone you dislike (Trump) and I don't even believe that is the case fully as much as some people think here.

Like you said various analysis have shown a good chunk of data released was also related to foreign intelligence. But from my understanding the information released to the media was selected by journalists and Snowden to keep it confined to either domestic spying or items not related to fighting terrorism or "enemies" for example. The rest has remained encrypted. I'm not very comfortable myself leaving that discretion to a contractor and I agree that had it been more confined to just domestic surveillance it was be even more justified. But this is part of a larger debate on security vs liberty that has been a problem since this country was founded. I argue that a lot of the restriction in liberties in lieu of security since 9/11 are really just fronts to increase government power while still not increasing security by the proportional amount of liberty lost. Its a pick your poison situation.

You want to go after him for foreign spy operation exposures ok. I don't have much of dog in that fight. But I still appreciate the exposure of domestic spying activities personally.
He still needs to be hanged. :mjlol:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Your reasoning, while seemingly principled, is loose and puts real people at risk.

Snowden didn't merely just release information that served your purpose of checks and grossly went beyond that.

Further, there is a certain level of oversight in place. Do you disagree with that altogether as well?