40 yr old lifters

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Not aimed at you but I don't really get when people say this and I hear it a lot.

If you’re just trying to maintain or lift casually cool, but I don’t feel like lifting heavy is tied to an age.
Well, after your 30’s those little nagging aches and pains become injuries that take forever to heal, if they ever do. Tendons and joints at that age start to become weaker, and heavy weights can be one of the main reasons, along with regular wear and tear. No one wants an weight related injury at that age unless you’re competitive in that realm. It’s just a precaution.

MikeBarnes

aka thejackroller, Jack Brannigan, Jack Birdbath
Daps
I see you. I personally feel squats and deads are much safer than (weighted dips) from a risk/reward perspective. :manny: So many fukking horror stories from cats doing dips. :merchant:

Side-note: 280? Dude should be in the 700 plus range (2.5x+ BW). Dude has 80 pounds on me and PRs with warm-up weights. :hhh:

As far as the video goes, yeah, maybe if your job revolves around physical performance (but not powerlifting) it'd make sense not to. Kinda explains why you see so many NFL/NBA dudes squatting/deadlifting with absolute dogshyt form if they're not really doing them in the team gyms. :ohhh:
I wish I had heard more horror stories about dips. I might have avoided my situation. I'm glad it didn't happen when I was doing bench though.

I agree a guy that big should do more. Now he's in a bet with a friend about who can run a faster mile in the fall so he'll get no gains. Maybe he'll switch things up entirely and just try to get healthy .

And I'm not shytting on guys that do these lifts. I just decided it's not for me. I know it's hard to stop with the PRs since strength is the last thing we lose. So I get it. I had that pec tear last year and I can't stand thinking I won't rep three plates in bench press again.

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
42 here. Just started back at the gym after a little more than a year off. Deads and squats are definitely on the menu.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Not aimed at you but I don't really get when people say this and I hear it a lot.

If you’re just trying to maintain or lift casually cool, but I don’t feel like lifting heavy is tied to an age.

Yeah that's definitely not true in my case. I'm 39 and the strongest I've ever been.

Now if you wanna talk about if I'm as fast as my 18 year old self... :mjcry: