25 years ago.. the biggest botch in wrestling history occurred. “Botched storyline”

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
And next Wednesday is the 23-year anniversary of the Fingerpoke of Doom
Funny that the ratings were still high after that. Two of the biggest lies in wrestling are the WWE being on the verge of bankruptcy in 97, and the finger poke of doom killing WCW. WWE actually started turning a profit again in 97 which is how they got out of those high school gyms for RAW, and Hogan getting hurt is what derailed the plans after the finger poke.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Funny that the ratings were still high after that. Two of the biggest lies in wrestling are the WWE being on the verge of bankruptcy in 97, and the finger poke of doom killing WCW. WWE actually started turning a profit again in 97 which is how they got out of those high school gyms for RAW, and Hogan getting hurt is what derailed the plans after the finger poke.
I think it's like all things wrestling it starts a momentum change. Same way Stone Cold taking off didn't change things overnight. I think certain events turn people from die hards to "let me see what's going on over there cause this shyt is dumb". So for bad angles people still tune in giving them the benefit of the doubt to see if it's leading anywhere until eventually they realize "nah they just fukked up" and then tune out for good.