Votes: 103 59.9%
  • Nígga Please

Votes: 69 40.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bnew

Veteran
Daps

‘I was not voting before, now I am’: gen Z voters on what they think of Kamala Harris​

Young US voters weigh in on why they like or dislike the VP as a candidate and if they think she could beat Trump

Jedidajah Otte

Wed 24 Jul 2024 07.00 EDTLast modified on Wed 24 Jul 2024 11.20 EDT

American gen Z voters share how they feel about Kamala Harris’s presidential bid, why they like or dislike her as a candidate and whether they think she could beat Donald Trump, as the vice-president races towards winning the Democratic nomination for November’s election.

‘I think she’s just what we need’​

“I think [Kamala Harris] is the only one that makes sense. She will get the votes Biden couldn’t. She could get the Black, Asian, Latino, women’s, LGBTQ+ and youth votes. She stands more for progress and equality than an old white dude and if she wins it will be historic. The Democrats need a bold move and I think she’s just what we need.

“I hope the Democrats realize what an opportunity this is for them.” Will, 22, construction worker from Portland, Oregon

‘We are fired up’​

I have so much renewed passion and hope now that Kamala is the endorsed candidate. She made history when she was elected VP and I believe she can make history again. I get emotional just thinking about it. And despite having just purchased a new home and having hardly any extra cash lying around, my husband and I just donated $100 to a campaign for the first time this election cycle. We are fired up.

My concern is we are facing a self-fulfilling prophecy; that people think it’s an impossible task to elect a Black woman to the highest office and as a result it becomes one. I think it’s quite the opposite actually. I feel Kamala is just what we need to energize young voters and get them to the polls.” Lizzie, 28, engineer from Idaho

‘I’m concerned that she is silly or not serious’​

I feel mixed about it. I am a Democrat and at first I thought: ‘Oh well, we’re stuck with Joe we’ll get him elected if it means no Donald Trump.’ Then after the debate I thought: ‘Omg this guy is way too old!’ I guess Biden seemed so set on still running I thought he would never drop out. I liked Kamala when she ran back in 2020 but I’m not sure how I feel about her today.

“My biggest concern with her is this perception that she is silly, or not serious. She laughs in every interview and the “You think you fell out of a coconut tree? You are the sum of everything ... ” is a huge meme on TikTok. I guess I wouldn’t say it paints her in a horrible light, but I just think people don’t take her seriously.” Georgie, 25, research associate from Massachusetts

‘Kamala is not perfect, but I’m more optimistic now than with Biden’​

I and everyone I know are THRILLED that Kamala Harris is now leading the ticket. Joe Biden could not win. Kamala is not a perfect candidate, but she can campaign; she is running against the oldest major party nominee in history; she can make the case for a new Democratic administration. Joe Biden could do none of these things, so while I think Democrats still face an uphill battle, I am infinitely more optimistic now that we have a likely nominee who is physically and mentally capable of running an energetic campaign.

“Kamala is not a perfect candidate, and I probably would have supported someone else if Biden had stepped down a year ago. I’m worried that she will struggle to differentiate herself from the administration’s policy on Gaza (as Hubert Humphrey struggled to differentiate himself from the Johnson administration’s policy on Vietnam), that she’ll be blamed for voters’ dissatisfaction with the status quo, and, of course, she will certainly face racist and sexist headwinds that Biden did not. BUT, and it’s a big ‘but’, I thought Biden was a certain loser after the debate, so even if Harris’s chances to win are 30%, that’s still better than 0%. I don’t have any concerns about her ability to do the job if elected, and I think she is perfectly capable of running a winning campaign, at least in theory.” Peter, 27, museum educator from Indiana

‘That Harris was picked by delegates, not voters, is a disaster for her campaign’​

“I watched the 2019 debates (eg Harris’s inability to perform under pressure from opponents like Tulsi Gabbard) and her recent interviews (eg her disastrous response to Lester **** when asked if she’d been to the border) and don’t think she’s the strongest the Democratic party can offer. She doesn’t bring the fact-based, logical responses needed to counter a populist candidate like Trump nor does she present clear policy beyond typical stump-speech moralizing.

“I’d rather have Pete Buttigieg to be honest and feel deeply, horribly cheated because the Democratic candidate isn’t going to be chosen by a primary vote, instead relying on a couple thousand delegates in Chicago.

“I’d feel better if she were at least chosen by the American people instead of being sweethearted because Biden picked her for VP. It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I’ll have a hard time backing Harris until there’s a broad-scale democratic process to ballast her presidential bid.

“The Trump campaign is going to villainize Harris and the Democratic party over the lack of primary voting to support Harris’s candidacy. This narrative feeds exactly into the anti-establishment, deep-state messaging central to the Trump campaign, and the sad thing is that the Trump campaign will have a point: Harris was not picked by voters, she was picked by delegates. It’s a disaster for any campaign she’d hope to launch, and based on Harris’s past performances under fire, she will have no effective argument against Trump’s accusations.” Michelle, 26, from Wisconsin

‘I think she can do great things’​

“It will be refreshing for someone new to take the lead. [Harris] has got experience, she is young and passionate. Let’s see if she can make positive changes. This country needs a levelheaded individual, not a pushover or tyrant. I think she can do great things.

“I just hope she is smart and strong enough to not continue to support war and the crackdown on immigrants.

“This country was built on the foundation of immigrants and the pursuit of fairness and equity. I don’t mind the basis of what it means to be a Republican but their agenda has really changed over the years. We need to support each other as people; I just hope others get over their greed so we can do just that.” Lee Ocasio, 28, medical assistant from New York

‘I hope she’ll restore Roe v Wade’​

“I am anxious for the results, but if she’s got a good chance at victory, I’m in full support. I had switched back and forth on supporting a Biden withdrawal, but what’s done is done now.

“I’m a little worried about her policies. From what I’ve read this far, she doesn’t seem to have much of a stance or plan for things like Palestine, immigration or inflation, but if she can restore Roe v Wade, she will have 110% of my support.” Kaleb Stanton, 24, grocery store worker from New Mexico

‘She’ll be a tougher candidate to beat than Biden’​

“I have been worried about the lack of enthusiasm about Biden’s candidacy, particularly among young voters, and the implications that could have on turnout. Virtually all indicators have pointed to a strong economy under Biden; however, I think many young people feel like there is less opportunity for them today than there was for prior generations.

“For this reason, I think it is unsurprising that there would be a lack of enthusiasm to support Biden or Trump because of their age (regardless of their ability to do the job or not).

“I think that VP Harris will be a harder opponent for Republicans to run against. Consider the matchup: a 78-year-old male Republican nominee recently found guilty on felony charges, and responsible for appointing three supreme court justices that helped overturn Roe v Wade versus a 59-year-old female (likely) Democratic nominee with a background as a former prosecutor. Harris will be able to hammer Republicans on abortion/reproductive health, contrast her own ‘law & order’ background with Trump’s felon status, and offer a younger option to voters that were concerned about Biden’s (and Trump’s!) age.

“I think Harris also has strengths that bring previously competitive southern states back into play in a way that Biden couldn’t in 2024. Harris would be the first female president, first female African-American president, and first Asian-American president. She represents America’s cultural melting pot in a way that no previous presidential candidate has and I believe this could help boost African- and Asian-American turnout, two historically strong Democratic voter bases that some polls have shown to be slightly wavering in their support in recent years.” Anonymous policy researcher at a thinktank in their 20s

‘She appeals way more to gen Z than Biden’​

[Kamala Harris] is a much better candidate for the country, and appeals way more to gen Z voters than Biden did. I was not voting before, and now I am.” Javier, 25, a gay Latino voter from New York

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/11
Donald Trump partied with sex traffickers. 🥳🥳🥳🥳

Kamala Harris dismantled them. 🚔🚔🚔🚔

Which side are you on?

2/11
You know this is not true, but you posted anyway.

3/11
It is 100% True. Just because you dont' like it doesn't make it fake.

4/11
You're spreading rumors Ed.

5/11
Trump literally partied with Epstein. That's a fact.https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f1d98c-aca0-11e9-a0c9-6d2d7818f3da_story.html

6/11
No, she didn't... What she did was put young black men in jail. That was back before she was black, though... Does it still count?

7/11
Actually she put a boatload of sex traffickers, rapists and violent criminals behind bars.

Yes, she did put black men in jail, who broke the law. That was literally her job to prosecute state crimes.

8/11
Per your logic: Side chick Kamala trafficked herself.

9/11
Since when is dating someone considered "trafficking?"

10/11
I am against anyone who is against Bitcoin. Period.

11/11
Kamala Harris is not against Bitcoin. There is 0 evidence of that.

Didn't the BTC and ETH ETFs get approved under the Biden/Harris administration, not the Trump/Pence administration?

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GTRCvoKXQAACRmf.jpg

GTRC3NVXUAAx4q5.jpg

GTREmBGXQAAy8jM.jpg

GTRE8lnWoAEB98g.jpg

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
Republicans: Kamala Harris locked up black men on marijuana charges.

Reality: In 2006, then-California District Attorney Kamala Harris spoke about the challenges of reforming the criminal justice system and how she believed it was failing African Americans.

FACT: Yes, Kamala Harris prosecuted some Black men on marijuana charges because that was her job as District Attorney. She didn't write the laws; she was tasked with enforcing them. However, she also pushed for rehabilitation over prison in many cases.

FACT: Once she became Attorney General, Senator, and Vice President, and had the ability to sponsor and pass laws, she fought tirelessly to decriminalize marijuana and to keep Black men and women out of jail.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:francis:

Obama doesn’t believe Kamala Harris can beat Trump, which is why he hasn’t endorsed her: sources
Isabel Vincent and
Former president Barack Obama hasn’t endorsed Kamala Harris’ presidential bid because he doesn’t think she can beat Donald Trump, according to a source close to the Biden family.

Following Joe Biden’s shock resignation from the race on Sunday, and his immediate endorsement of the vice president, most of the Democratic elite have been quick to rally behind Harris — but Obama is a notable exception.

“Obama’s very upset because he knows she can’t win,” the Biden family source told The Post.

“Obama knows she’s just incompetent — the border czar who never visited the border, saying that all migrants should have health insurance. She cannot navigate the landmines that are ahead of her.”

Obama has not endorsed Kamala Harris because he believes she will not win against Donald Trump, according to sources. AP
“When you are running for president there are things you can and can’t say.”

Explore More

The turning point for Biden, 81, came after his disastrous performance against Trump in a televised debate in Atlanta last month which, The Post first revealed, was part of an “elaborate set-up” to remove him from the race.

But the source doesn’t have high hopes for a TV debate between Trump and Harris. When Biden was still in the race, a second debate was scheduled for September 10.

“Wait until the debate… She can’t debate. She’s going to put her foot in her mouth about Israel, Palestine, Ukraine. She’s going to say something really stupid,” the source said.

Joe Biden in sunglasses, gives a thumbs up. 5
Joe Biden posted a shock letter to X Sunday bowing out of the presidential race following pressure from prominent Democrats, sources told The Post. AFP via Getty Images
“Obama knew this was going to happen, Joe knew this was going to happen. Now she is going to have to answer real questions.”

The White House did not respond to The Post’s request for comment on this story.

According to the source, Obama’s hope was to get Biden out of the way and an article written by George Clooney in the New York Times asking him to step aside was a part of that plan.

However, the higher ups in the Democratic Party didn’t count on Biden endorsing Harris right away and “Obama was shocked” when Joe endorsed her, according to the insider.

After Biden’s ouster, Obama — who did not return a request for comment Wednesday — wanted Arizona Senator and former astronaut Mark Kelly “at the top of the ticket” when the Democratic National Convention is held next month, the source said.

Obama is “furious,” things haven’t gone his way, which is why he is not joining in the Democratic Party’s support of Harris,” the Biden source added.

Rod Blagojevich, Barack Obama and former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. 5
Former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich was once an ally of Barack Obama. Now, he is a supporter of Donald Trump and calls Obama a ‘threat to democracy’. REUTERS
Another well-placed Democrat source said, “Obama being surprised by a smart political decision actually makes sense when coupled with his personal inability to see politics beyond his singular, immediate interests.

“Obama always thinks he is the smartest and coolest guy in the room. He’s friends with George Clooney, after all.”

Rod Blagojevich, the disgraced former governor of Illinois who denounced Obama as a “threat to democracy” in a Wall Street Journal op-ed Tuesday, told The Post he believes “Obama was instrumental” to getting Biden out of the race.

Blagojevich, a former Democrat who is now supporting Trump, was governor of Illinois when Obama became a state senator in 2005.

Barack Obama holds a glass at a sports stadium in Las Vegas. 5
Barack Obama has been behaving like an old-style Chicago ward boss in directing the Democratic Party, according to Blagojevich. Getty Images
“It [Biden’s departure from the race] couldn’t have happened without him [Obama],” Blagojevich told The Post.

“Without Obama, Biden is still the Democratic nominee. Obama was the conductor leading the orchestra that convinced Biden to step aside.”

Obama ended his role as Illinois senator when he was elected president in 2008, while Blagojevich was impeached in 2009 for attempting to sell Obama’s vacant senate seat, removed from office and convicted on corruption charges a year later.

Joe Biden and Barack Obama smile at each other. 5
There have long been “simmering tensions” between Joe Biden and Barack Obama since Obama told his former vice president to not enter the presidential race in 2015, a source said. AFP via Getty Images
Obama persuading Biden not to run for the presidency in 2016, in order to allow Hillary Clinton a shot at the White House, has also since been a sticking point between them, according to reports.

“He was not encouraging,” Biden later told the New York Times, referring to the former President, who believed at the time that the former Secretary of State had a better chance of beating Trump.

“He’s running the Democratic party like a Chicago ward boss from the shadows in the back room,” Blagojevich continued. “In this case it’s a big backroom because he has a lot of big houses.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
After Biden’s ouster, Obama — who did not return a request for comment Wednesday — wanted Arizona Senator and former astronaut Mark Kelly “at the top of the ticket” when the Democratic National Convention is held next month, the source said.
obama has lost it