2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
businessinsider.com
Top House Republican group urges its members to 'lean into the culture wars' and fight critical race theory
Eliza Relman
5-6 minutes
  • The largest House Republican caucus is urging conservative members of Congress to "lean into the culture war.
  • Rep. Jim Banks writes in the memo that Republicans are "winning" the war against critical race theory.
  • More than 20 states have introduced bills banning critical race theory and other "divisive concepts.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.
The largest House Republican caucus is urging conservative members of Congress to "lean into the culture war," according to a memo sent out by Republican Study Committee chair Rep. Jim Banks and published by Politico.

The Ohio Republican writes in the memo to his members that Republicans are "winning" the war against critical race theory, which some public schools are using to teach students about racism.

"My encouragement to you is lean into it. Lean into the culture war," he writes. "Because the backlash against Critical Race Theory is real."

Banks cites polling showing that 79% of Americans in swing districts don't want kids to be taught "that their destiny and inherent value depends on their skin color" and instead "want American schools to be teaching about the American Dream." He celebrated the "organic" movement of parents demanding that their kids' schools not teach about systemic racism.

The congressman also baselessly claimed the GOP's opposition to critical race theory, which holds that US institutions are systemically racist, "is the same vision shared by civil rights icon Martin Luther King, Jr."

"We believe that individuals should be judged based on the contents of their character, not their skin. And we believe that America's institutions should be colorblind, just as our Constitution is colorblind," Banks writes in the memo.

While the modern GOP espouses a "color blind" approach to policy, King dedicated his work to addressing systemic and institutional racism before his assassination in 1968. King fought the legalized racism of segregation with civil disobedience, saying in 1967 that most white Americans had never made a determined effort to give Blacks "genuine equality" and contrasted the government's willingness after the Civil War to give acres of land to white immigrants against its paltry offerings to freed Blacks.

Republicans and right-wing media have aggressively focused on the issue in recent months, framing the debate over how to teach US history as a fight between conservative patriots and Democrats "who want to tear America down." More than 20 states have introduced bills banning the teaching of critical race theory and other "divisive concepts" in public schools.

The GOP has doubled down on many of the cultural battles former President Donald Trump waged on the campaign trail and in office. The party's positions on race and education, including policing alleged liberal "indoctrination" on college campuses, has the potential to appeal to key constituencies, including white suburban women, and fuel passions among the party's base.

success-circle.svg

More: Congress GOP Republicans US House of Representatives

Daps
Reppin
NULL

i mean, if your entire platform is to obstruct and find ways to make the majority of your voters’ lives WORSE off…then yeah, these “culture wars” are all you’ve got

the GOP has proven to stand for nothing in terms of policy at this point…and so “culture wars” is really the only thing they can lean on

sad thing is it works for their voters, so they’ll keep at it

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
You know what? I'm starting to think Trump not backing down means Dems stave off 2022 losses and maybe keep the White House in 2024 :lupe:
Vance/Letitia gotta make him radioactive before the midterms. I don't want this dude on the road without everything being brought to the light.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Vance/Letitia gotta make him radioactive before the midterms. I don't want this dude on the road without everything being brought to the light.

Honestly I wouldn't spend too much time trying to turn people against Trump, we've already seen that no amount of exposing his incompetence/criminality will change his supporters' minds.

IMO the bigger concern for Dems is to mobilize their base and make sure their voters from 2020 don't stay home next year like they usually do in midterms.

Payday23

Superstar
Daps
Honestly I wouldn't spend too much time trying to turn people against Trump, we've already seen that no amount of exposing his incompetence/criminality will change his supporters' minds.

IMO the bigger concern for Dems is to mobilize their base and make sure their voters from 2020 don't stay home next year like they usually do in midterms.
This. They have got to pass legislation though and stop kneeling to the GOP. It's beyond pathetic and their lack of urgency makes me ask why should I vote for these people when they refuse to deliver?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

don’t know if I agree with this take

it’s not about persuasion at this point - spending any amount of time trying to convince today’s Trump voter to vote Dem is a waste of time

2022 is about turnout and convincing Dem voters that they need to show up for a midterm election. using Jan 6th to demonstrate how democracy DEPENDS on them showing up is not the worst strategy IMO…adds a sense of urgency to the election, helpful for turnout

just think of who will actually show up for a midterm - educated voters who care about things like democracy crumbling. low-info voters who give a fukk about democracy and turned out for Trump in 2020 probably aren’t showing up for a midterm in 2022 anyways - just like they didn’t show up in 2018

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Terrible take. There's really no such thing as "persuadable Trump voters", at least not to any significant degree.

All Dems need to be worried about is turning out their own voters to as big a degree as possible. Chasing MAGA voters is a waste of time and effort.