2018 is going to be the year of the JRPG brehs...

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
:snoop: Octopath gonna be 90 bucks (CAD) smdh guaranteed. Game looks great, but come on.

llt23

All Star
Daps
The Cold Steel series is the best all round classic turn-based JRPG listed.

Yeah I know. I really liked the first one but ya know..even taking away the nitpicking I have with the ending....it lacks the charm of a true classic Final Fantasy type. It might be unfair to expect that kind of greatness, but man why not? I know Cold Steel peeps dont got the money to make it crazy graphically, and I accept the games for what they are....but end of they day they are B level in terms of presentation. They dont have the bread to make that true masterpiece that Ive been craving for for over 15 years.

:mjcry:
Depending on how old school you are project octopath is probably what you’re looking for.

The demo had me sold on the game. Looking forward to that the most out of any RPG next year

Yeah that game looks dope. I should check out the demo i didnt know it existed:salute:

Oh its on Switch only and not PS4 or PC :francis:

Again not to be all depressing and shyt but imagine a real classic JRPG with square enix full resources behind it....graphic quality of 15, but none of that action shyt....much as people hate on classic JRPGs battle systems, imagine how much cooler the Leviathan fight would be if it wasnt a goddamn QTE:dahell: And man I wish square would stop making visually lame protagonists :shaq2:

We need a real AAA fantasy epic JRPG. The shyt we dreamed of in the ps1 era, similar gameplay but with modern graphics....they never gave us that. Its sad that JRPG's have been reduced to a niche brand where we take what we can get instead of having classics after classics. Im out here playing these anime looking JRPGS like Tales and Trails when in reality I want a classic FF type with modern graphics.

Even with how they are remaking 7, they arent being smart about it.... Why not do it like it used to be, but just updated?? Why not have pre rendered backgrounds like PS1 era FF and RE. If it could be classic back then it could be classic now. There is absolutely no excuses with how amazing REmake looks. Have a somewhat deformed overworld. It would take away the modern FF15 problem of pointless busy work sidequests because of a mostly useless empty fully rendered 3D open world that killed the budget and would put more resources into actual sidequests, character and enemy models, more dungeons and towns. Why the fukk did they go away from the formula that made them?????:mjcry:

Last edited:

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
I got a back log of JRPG to play starting with PS1.

I copped every Shin Megami game for the PS2 this year except for devil summoner had that. I am going through all of those .

I am copping these and adding them to the collection

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We need a real AAA fantasy epic JRPG. The shyt we dreamed of in the ps1 era, similar gameplay but with modern graphics....they never gave us that. Its sad that JRPG's have been reduced to a niche brand where we take what we can get instead of having classics after classics. Im out here playing these anime looking JRPGS like Tales and Trails when in reality I want a classic FF type with modern graphics.
Well the closest we may get to that is Atlus's Studio Zero's project.

images

project_re_fantasy_artwork.0.jpeg

supposed to be fantasy based and honestly Atlus's JRPGS may not be "AAA" as in today's standards but the closest to what you're talking about is something I'd expect out of Atlus, not Squeenix.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even if SMT 5 comes out this year it'll only be in Japan.

I'm mainly waiting on Dragon Quest 11 and Strange Journey redux

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
speaking of square did yall cop this old school RPG they just dropped a couple days ago from 1993 it's called romancing saga 2 ? it's remastered and they added 2 extra dungeons :jawalrus: i never even heard of that shyt even back in the day :whoo: i copped it for the switch my xbox one x backlog already enough

llt23

All Star
Daps
Well the closest we may get to that is Atlus's Studio Zero's project.

images

supposed to be fantasy based and honestly Atlus's JRPGS may not be "AAA" as in today's standards but the closest to what you're talking about is something I'd expect out of Atlus, not Squeenix.

You're right. Plus with how much bread P5 made there is a chance it could even be almost AAA. And yeah man....Squeenix I just cannot expect greatness from anymore, that era is long gone.

With all that said P5 was excellent and Nier(although not a true JRPG) were both great experiences. But really if you look at Japanese devs, most of their games are in this lane. Even stuff like the Yakuza series. Not AAA, but way above indie levels of money...its like some mid level stuff.. Which is cool to an extent since the western games are only AAA monsters and then indies.

Last edited:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:damn:

2018 gonna eat my pocket. Gotta upgrade hhd again cause my 2tb hdd is still not enough :mjcry: