2 of Amerika’s Most Wanted: The Official GOAT franchise Boss Angeles Lakers 2019-2020 season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
she showed up to the game in a thong..do not click:picard:

This is the rare Coli topic trifecta where one recorded incident could transcend three different forums (The Booth, The Locker Room, and The Coliseum) :ohhh:

Usually, a rapping athlete would have to die for this to happen.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It just really hit me. It’s not a HOF elite wing defender in the league right now.

If Bron aggressive in the playoffs nobody beating us

days of Artest & Bowen or Kobe or MJ

hell prime Bron & Kawhi either

who is the Artest of the league right now?

I’m gon ask my new buddy @Rhakim

who do u think?
Tony Allen is wondering what the hell he had to do to make your list.

I don't think elite wing defenders have as big an impact as you're thinking. The best guys I remember ever defending Bron have been Jimmy Butler, Kawhi, and Iggy. None of the three could shut him down, it was just that they could make Bron work very hard and keep him from beating the team 1-on-5. That's been true for most stars over history - no one in single-coverage could ever stop MJ or Kobe either, if they had a bad day it was either elite team defense or they did it to themselves.

There are many strong wing defenders in the league - Roberson, Anunoby, Klay, Tucker, PG13, Butler, Giannis, Simmons. Covington I guess can go up there, by reputation he's one of the top wing defenders in the league I just don't watch him very much and am not super impressed when I have seen him. Draymond is surprisingly good at defending wings despite playing 4/5 most of the time. Kawhi we all assume can play elite defense except he's not showing it for long stretches anymore out of some combination of health and saving himself for offense.

But if someone wants to stop Bron it's a lot more about switching defenders frequently, having a rim protector to back them up, and having a strong team game plan on the defensive side of the ball that keeps his driving lanes and passing lanes closed off as frequently as possible.

Clippers have PG13, Kawhi, and even Beverley to switch onto LeBron, but they kinda fukked on rim protection right now.
Nuggets have Millsap, Grant, Barton....no rim protector but they often seem to get away with it.
Rockets have Tucker and Thabo with Capela behind them.
Bucks have Giannis and Middleton with Lopez (and Giannis) behind them.
Celtics would switch Tatum, Brown, Smart, Hayward, with Theis behind them.

All the good teams "can" defend LeBron to a degree. None of them can shut him down at the level he's playing at right now. And the big difference from previous years....LeBron has NEVER had another guy his size who could be relied on to take over offensively whenever a team focused its defense on stopping LeBron at all costs. Kyrie and Wade were great offensive players, but most teams still just committed one guard to defending them. Bosh had a lot of problems exerting his will when on Miami. But AD.....the issue is that teams have to have a great 3/4 to guard LeBron AND another one to guard AD and they don't get breaks and the team defense needs to account for both of them.

That's why I'd say that if the Lakers avoid any injuries, and keep playing the way they're playing, they will indeed win the title. Those are big "ifs" though. They have a lot of older and/or injury-prone players, and there's no guarantee that some of these guys will keep playing this way in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
So we have Orlando who beat us twice last year, then Miami which will be tough, then the Hawks for an appetizer before the big one against Giannis

Over these next four games I think we can go 3-1
Orlando won twice because the Lakers had a terribly planned roster last year with no good ideas at all at center. That's not an issue anymore for multiple reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.