1917 Trailer (2019) (Dir by: Sam Mendes) (Richard Madden, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It was alright. Like a lot of movies shot in this style it ends up technical style over substance which creates a sometimes clumsy narrative for a supposedly realistic picture.

For what it's worth Mendes does recreate the trenches and wartorn towns in incredible detail and there's certainly genuine suspense throughout the entire ordeal, but I did leave wondering if the movie couldn't be just as effective without the forced 'one shot' gimmick (that the movie already does abandon somewhat at one point for narrative purposes).

Daps
i am going to peep this Saturday afternoon with a few friends. I hope it will keep a brother awake. I have been working a lot of hours lately and whenever I seem to sit down in a comfortable chair and the lights are down ............ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
It was alright. Like a lot of movies shot in this style it ends up technical style over substance which creates a sometimes clumsy narrative for a supposedly realistic picture.

For what it's worth Mendes does recreate the trenches and wartorn towns in incredible detail and there's certainly genuine suspense throughout the entire ordeal, but I did leave wondering if the movie couldn't be just as effective without the forced 'one shot' gimmick (that the movie already does abandon somewhat at one point for narrative purposes).

I'd guess that 90% of the people in the theater with me had no clue it was one shot. It wasn't distracting. Unless you knew about it going in.

I'll also disagree on the style over substance. It was 9 hours compressed into 2 hours. We weren't experiencing time in the same way he was. So they had to eschew the traditional 3 act structure and jam pack more in there. Pretty much every encounter had a 3 act structure of it's own. At times it could feel forced (like the milk scene) and rushed (but that's the reality of war). Maybe that's what you read as clumsy?

Anyway...I left the theater more convinced than ever that this is the Oscar winner for Best Picture. And I loved Once Upon a Time and Irishman. :yeshrug:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I booed this movie when it beat the Irishman and Once Upon a Time at the Golden Globes (Irishman was better than Once Upon).

After I saw it last night.....I take my boos back. There's no way this isn't the Best Picture favorite.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
Just saw this and beyond the technical aspects, I wasn't impressed at all. If i'm being absolutely honest, the so-called 'breathtaking action' wasn't 'that' good either. It had some tense moments, but I think these kinds of movies don't have the same effect on me as it does on an average person. People talking about gettin anxiety attacks and almost coming out their seats. I just didn't see it. Wanted to be blown away by this and there was nothing beyond the one-shot gimmick/general cinematography that was even anything special. Movie was about ten minutes of pretty good action and an hour and a half of mufukkas walking around, talking, not doing character development, not having great dialogue, not building any sort of suspense or tension. As a movie, I'd give this like a 5/10, as a technical work, 10/10 easily.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

This is dope. Sometimes im more interested in how the movie was shot then the actual movie.
This would be a breat behind the scenes extra on bluray. Just showing the process.

The explosions were real?!?! I thought it was CGI in the theater :damn: