101 Bible Oddities

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
One Lord standing on Earth while another Lord is in heaven? :jbhmm:
No, because that would be grammatically impossible and, in any case, it is silly to exegete a translation! מֵאֵת mé'ét (by way of, by means of) is the preposition chain that establishes apposition between the Creator's titles:
וַייָ הִמְטִיר עַל־סְדֹם וְעַל־עֲמֹרָה גָּפְרִית וָאֵשׁ מֵאֵת יְיָ מִן־הַשָּׁמָֽיִם׃

Also, it is a common feature of Scriptural literary prose for a speaker (not only God) to refer to himself in the 3rd person:
  • in B'réshît 4:23, Lemech ben M'tusha'él refers to his two wives, 'Adah and Tzillah, as נְשֵׁי לֶֽמֶךְ n'shei lemech ('Lemech's wives') rather than נָשַׁי nashai ('my wives');

• in M'lachîm, Part I, 1:33, King Davîd tells Tzadok, Natan and B'nayahu to take with them עַבְדֵי אֲדֹנֵיכֶם 'avdei adoneichem ('your master's servants') rather than עֲבָדַי 'avadai ('my servants'); and

• in Êstér 8:8, Aḥash'vérosh, speaking to Êstér and her cousin Mordochai, says בְּשֵׁם הַמֶּֽלֶךְ b'shém hamelech ('in the king's name') rather than בִּשְׁמִי bish'mi ('in my name'); etc., etc., etc.

Who is the word? The "logos"? :jbhmm:
The Hebrew word דָּבָר davar (a word) literally means a 'thing' and is intrinsically inanimate and, by extension, a 'matter' or even a 'message' (in context). Thus, it was God's message that came to 'Avram, not just one 'word'.

The logos concept only makes sense in pagan Greek; it just makes nonsense if you try to write it in Hebrew.

I think every instance where Abraham had an interaction with "God", I think most people would be surprised that that "God" is not who they think it is.

Same for Moses.

In which, could possibly extend to all interactions w/ "God" in the OT.
Of course it can. However, in the T'na"ch it cannot.

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
Adah :mjcry: the wife of Esau and Lamech

after that I'd say Hagar
Actually, there are two 'Adah's and two Lemech's (also two Ḥanôch's).

By the way,
לָמֶךְ Lamech is the pausal form of לֶמֶךְ Lemech, indicating a linguistic pause when it occurs at the end of a clause. The vowel that is lengthened in the pausa is always the one carrying the word's primary stress.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Actually, there are two 'Adah's and two Lemech's (also two Ḥanôch's).

By the way,
לָמֶךְ Lamech is the pausal form of לֶמֶךְ Lemech, indicating a linguistic pause when it occurs at the end of a clause. The vowel that is lengthened in the pausa is always the one carrying the word's primary stress.
i have always interpreted the two enochs as the same enoch... :ehh:

not trying to be slain to a mans wounding tho :hubie:

MuzzyP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Carolina
I wonder who was the baddest bilblical baddie
I heard Delilah was DUMMY thicc!

*an artist's interpretation of Delilah*
62564da46dff27001dfe5a1c.jpg

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
How are people choosing what they want to see. These are things you notice while you are a Christian going to church. These are literal scriptures . These are some of the ridiculous things that add up to where someone questions the rationality of the literature they are reading. Can we not look these up right now? Can we not all go to the book store and buy a Bible and find the same scriptures right now today…Deflection ! Everybody posting in this thread was a Christian once assuming we are all African American here (wonder how that came to be :ohhh:).. We aren’t from the synagogue of satan lol. Y’all are free to believe in y’all crazy fairytales as long as y’all want, but most of us adults have read the Bible multiple times and have the right to call out the absurdity of the Bible and it’s contradictions. The only things you all can do is try to act like we haven’t read the Bible and that we have only seen cliff notes of it, which is just lazy. And assumes we weren’t Christian’s before which is dishonest .I’ve read the Bible word for word front to back several times and these contradictions are not internet conspiracies, they are really in the Bible and are just as fukking ridiculous as they sound in the thread. Don’t matter what you are looking for smart ass
True I’ve always said atheist and agnostics have read the Bible way more and understand it better than so called Christians :yeshrug:

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
True I’ve always said atheist and agnostics have read the Bible way more and understand it better than so called Christians :yeshrug:
I've never met an atheist who actually understands the bible

if you don't believe in it, the idea that you understand it is a joke

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
folks underestimate his title "Lord of Hosts" YHWH Tzevaot
Apart from the obscure and cryptic יְיָ צְבָקוֹת ('Adonay of Armies'), there are two other similar combinations:
  • יְיָ אֱלֹקֵי צְבָקוֹת ('Adonay-God of Armies'), which occurs 15 times
Sh'mûél, Part II 5:10
M'lachîm, Part I 19:10, 19:14
Yîrm'yahu 5:14, 15:16, 35:17, 38:17, 44:7
'Amos 4:13, 5:14, 5:15, 5:16, 5:27, 6:8
T'hîllîm 89:9

• הָאָדוֹן, יְיָ צְבָקוֹת ('The LORD, Adonay of Armies'), which is unique to Y'sha'yahu and occurs just 5 times

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
That’s is some of the silliest logic I’ve ever heard:dahell:
Isaiah 44:23-25

23 Sing, O ye heavens; for the Lord hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

24 Thus saith the Lord, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

25 That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Most of these are old testament. Interpreting the old testament in current day application and fact is a an impossibility, and in my heart, has little value other than the 'life lessons' you can get out of the old testament, like Ecclesiastes' lessons about patience and Job's about faith.

The New Testament changes all of that. Its truly as simple as that...Jesus' sacrifice and lessons were literally so we wouldn't have to sacrifice our young or have the world destroyed or any of that, because Jesus died for our sins. Period.

If you don't believe, okay, keep it moving because i'm not here to convert or witness at this moment, other than if you're inspired by the word itself, but the exercise of cherry-picking (mostly) old testament stuff and interpreting it verbatim in english, let alone not acknowledging that it is a time before Jesus, is not a worthwhile exercise. Especially if you aren't a man of faith in the first place.

Last edited:

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So god messed up first go around and had to run it back for us? Does that mean god isnt perfect?:jbhmm:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
So god messed up first go around and had to run it back for us? Does that mean god isnt perfect?:jbhmm:
You talk about God like God is a man or person to be judged in terms of perfection or imperfection. God is God. Your question doesn't even make sense.

Last edited: