10 Years After Katrina, New Orleans’ All-Charter School System Has Proven a Failure

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
The problem here is as usual for you is that you're unable to comprehend what you're reading.

the problem is that people are just reading headlines, even reading through this hit piece its very obvious that the authors are just nitpicking and that the charter schools are a vast improvement over the previous decript public school system

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
so if they are only commie mags doing this, then I assume you are only playing the role of a concerned citizen?:ehh:

i have no idea what you are asking or why, and i dont feel like using my precious brain cells in trying to figure it out

in the future please spare me your corny passive aggressive posting

thanks

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
aside from commie mags with their occasional hit pieces there is no evidence that charter schools or vouchers are a failure, quite the opposite, the evidence shows that overall charter schools and vouchers help black kids get better education than public schools

these hit pieces avoid a simple comparison of before and after, they avoid this because a simple before and after comparison would show what an absolute disaster the previous public school system in NO was
Lol, you're literally nothing if you're not consistent

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
the problem is that people are just reading headlines, even reading through this hit piece its very obvious that the authors are just nitpicking and that the charter schools are a vast improvement over the previous decript public school system

No. People have posted and discussed numerous articles here that are in depth on the subject. To say there is a benefit here is to spit in the face of reality.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
No. People have posted and discussed numerous articles here that are in depth on the subject. To say there is a benefit here is to spit in the face of reality.

im the main person posting articles about charter schools and the evidence shows that charter schools are an imporovement over public schools

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Lol, you're literally nothing if you're not consistent
so you are avoiding the basic point, why is there not an apples to apples comparison between the old public school system and the new charter system?

the reason is obvious, becuase the old public schools were a complete utter failure that had literally killed thousands of black minds

neph27

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What is the point of schools to you? To me, a school should be used to educate our youth and help produce members of society who are well equipped for the world after education.

A graduation rate does not tell the whole story. What does a graduation rate mean if students coming from these charter schools are 2 to 3 standard deviations below in English and math then the public schools? They're doing this but still able to graduate?

That points to glaring flaws in the curriculum

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
More data in the link:
POLICY BRIEF: Should Louisiana and the Recovery School District receive accolades for being last and nearly last?

Julians-Katrina-Infographic1.jpg

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
How much of statistical improvements in New Orleans' schools is due to the death of 2,000 and displacement of 100,000s of the city's poorest? I imagine getting rid of many of the traditional lowest scorers would drastically better the scores of any district, regardless of acho

The point I am trying to make is that there haven't been any statistical improvements. Louisiana keeps moving the goal post, all states do. They change their state exams and the criteria for passing so there is no way to measure improvement on a state level. I just posted a chart that says Louisiana has not improved on a national level plus there is more data in the link that shows no national improvement.

POLICY BRIEF: Should Louisiana and the Recovery School District receive accolades for being last and nearly last?

Which is why things like common core are just basic. People rant and rave against standardized tests but if there aren't exact standards its impossible to get accurate reads on how a school is doing. Which isn't to apologize for the excesses of testing regimens, but what's the alternative?

Common Core is just a set of guidelines. States can teach and test for results anyway they want, so the same student may be proficient on one state's common core exam and failing another state's exam.

I personally ignore state exams because their data is useless. I look at NAEP exams, AP exam passage rates, and SAT/ACT scores. Once kids get a decent education the results are steady, there is no improvement. You can tell if a school is "good" or not just by looking at the racial demographics and the income-level.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
What is the point of schools to you? To me, a school should be used to educate our youth and help produce members of society who are well equipped for the world after education.

A graduation rate does not tell the whole story. What does a graduation rate mean if students coming from these charter schools are 2 to 3 standard deviations below in English and math then the public schools? They're doing this but still able to graduate?

That points to glaring flaws in the curriculum

that is another subject for another thread. the thread title says that the new orleans charter system was failure, i was disputing that and showing that it wasnt a failure

you can bring up whatever stat you want about the current system, but the point im making is that when you make an apples to apples comparison the old system was doing worse

so its a lie to suggest that the current system is a failure

i dont think the current stats are really the point, i think what you have to look at is the trend lines, where are the NO schools and students trending? that is the real question and the answer is they are trending up

Daps
Reppin
NULL
so you are avoiding the basic point, why is there not an apples to apples comparison between the old public school system and the new charter system?

the reason is obvious, becuase the old public schools were a complete utter failure that had literally killed thousands of black minds

What about public schools in middle to upper middle class areas that are pumping out exemplary students from an academic standpoint....?