1,300 Pilgrims Die in Intense Heat During Hajj Pilgrimage

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
May Allah accept their good deeds and their Hajj. Ameen.

I went for Umrah back in November and thats the time of year to do it. But the Hajj season is now in the hotter months (June and next year in May) so heat stroke and dehydration is a big issue. One of my directors at work, she’s Moroccan, her elderly parents did Hajj last year and they were dehydrated and needed medical attention.

merklman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
N17
May Allah accept their good deeds and their Hajj. Ameen.

I went for Umrah back in November and thats the time of year to do it. But the Hajj season is now in the hotter months (June and next year in May) so heat stroke and dehydration is a big issue. One of my directors at work, she’s Moroccan, her elderly parents did Hajj last year and they were dehydrated and needed medical attention.
I went in 2017, that year it was in early Sept and it was horrifically roasting. I do have to say the set up from the Saudis in terms of personnel was fine, but the infrastructure was massively lacking. From what I hear, Mina and Muzdalufah are still a bit of a state.

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
Hopefully the lunar calendar is more kind with the way things are going global warming wise.

I’m surprised the Saudis haven’t figured something out after previous mass death events. I’m sure they’ve invested a lot and capped visas but death seems avoidable…

voiture

Superstar
Daps

Jeez
They are charging people thousands of dollars and can't provide basic medical care? Most of these are probably deaths relating to the hot weather.
Where is all the pilgrimage money going? People need to start asking questions.

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines
He described “shocking scenes” in Mecca as the heat took hold, especially among unregistered pilgrims who lack permits and are barred from accessing services and facilities, including air-conditioned tents.

In Mecca, as in much of the world, the number of dangerously hot days is surging. By 2050, Mecca will have an estimated 182 days of dangerous heat for those outdoors in the sun, according to an analysis conducted last year by The Washington Post and the nonprofit CarbonPlan. Just as notable, it will have an estimated 54 days when heat is dangerous even in the shade, compared with almost zero at the turn of this century. By those measures, Mecca will be one of the least hospitable places on Earth.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The governments need to push pressure on the Saudi Government. SMH! because of religion they are probably scared to say a word.
liberals wouldn't dare criticize muslims. because they think it preserves their ability to call republicans racist for criticizing muslims

Last edited: