Will Smith felt broken after failure of "After Earth"

REXDALE

Rookie
Daps
shyttt I was hart broken after spending money to watch that crap. Real TAlk!!

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Studio says its a flop, so its a flop breh. Y'all gotta start going by studio estimates and not just looking at that number because that's what they look at. When they estimate it to make more than that and it doesn't, that means they have more invested than they're making public and need it to make more than what it did

Pretty sure they only meant a domestic flop...... US numbers are a barometer for success especially blockbusters
With US numbers you can predict/anticipate future performance ...overseas ? not so much
The movie still made money for the studio and their investors obviously

Do you seriously think a public company would lie about spending $178 mill on a movie though ?

That doesn't seem plausible breh but who knows I don't work at Time Warner

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pretty sure they only meant a domestic flop...... US numbers are a barometer for success especially blockbusters
With US numbers you can predict/anticipate future performance ...overseas ? not so much
The movie still made money for the studio and their investors obviously

Do you seriously think a public company would lie about spending $178 mill on a movie though ?

That doesn't seem plausible breh but who knows I don't work at Time Warner

Breh anytime you listen to movie journalists talk or just read the trades, they often mention "rumored" budgets or the fact that some studios don't divulge to the public how much they spent on a movie in terms of promotion and marketing etc so a lot of times the numbers posted on wiki or box office mojo aren't complete because those numbers are needed for the investors, not the "public"

And yeah you're right about it being a domestic flop but the studio categorizes it as a flop and that doesn't mean it didn't make money, it means it didn't make the amount they needed it to make which is why they rebranded the movie when it hit home video. They expected it to do better than it did and probably based their spending on the year on those estimates. So even if "flop" is harsh, it's still fair to say it under performed. Same reason spider-man is going through those issues now; not a flop by any means but under performed for the studio and didn't make what they needed it to make

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
People who defended "After Earth" never said it performed Well. We were talking about the clear racial bias the critics and media showed towards the film. The same people crying "Nepotisim" didn't care when Jaden broke the box office with "The Karate Kid". The same folks didn't care when plenty of White Stars put on their kids and they become actors "Angelina Jolie, Nic Cage". That was the issue. Of course it underperformed for Will Smith standards, I said that myself. Every Will Smith Movie grosses 100 Million.

But this title is completely misquoted. Will never said he felt "Broken". He said he broke up his mind state. That's different. His mind state focused on 1 thing and 1 thing only. Success. It was always about #1 at the Box Office and 100 Million but the reality is Will was coming off a Histortic Streak. When you look at the full numberst "After Earth" isn't Will Smith's 1st under performing Film. " Wild, Wild, West, Ali, 7 Pounds and Legend of Bagger Vance " all underperformed. Also as I said Will made the mistake making it Jaden's movie. It should of been about Will character with Jaden in a Supporting role. Will running through the Jungle it would of been a Hit or adleast do over 100 Million. When Will under performs he's in a different Microscope.

As someone mentioned, Channing Tatum is having several of under performing films yet people don't report on it like Will does. Look at Johnny Deep, I love Johnny but he can't catch a break at the box office. The bottom line is Hollywood DOES NOT want a movie like "After Earth" to succeed cause they want to continue these lies about People overseas not wanting to watch Black People. As for where does Will go from here. I think "Focus" should do pretty good. I'm torn on "Suicide Squad" but I like David Ayer so I'm Hoping he's good. Then he's got the NFL Drama "Concussion" after that he has "Hancock 2" and "Bad Boys III" on deck. Will career is fine.

Last edited:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh anytime you listen to movie journalists talk or just read the trades, they often mention "rumored" budgets or the fact that some studios don't divulge to the public how much they spent on a movie in terms of promotion and marketing etc so a lot of times the numbers posted on wiki or box office mojo aren't complete because those numbers are needed for the investors, not the "public"

And yeah you're right about it being a domestic flop but the studio categorizes it as a flop and that doesn't mean it didn't make money, it means it didn't make the amount they needed it to make which is why they rebranded the movie when it hit home video. They expected it to do better than it did and probably based their spending on the year on those estimates. So even if "flop" is harsh, it's still fair to say it under performed. Same reason spider-man is going through those issues now; not a flop by any means but under performed for the studio and didn't make what they needed it to make

This would be true if Time Warner wasn't a publicly traded company......They are on the NYSE afterall so it's not in their best interests to lie about these figures
Actually telling the truth or misrepresenting over expenditure would benefit them tax wise.....why risk having SEC and IRS crawling up your ass ?

Disclaimer: I'm basing this on online sources such as IMDB and Box Office Mojo. Obviously there are better more efficient ways to get this information from the source but unless you are about to purchase bulk block shares in Warner or request a prospectus to invest in those subsidiaries or raise private capital for their other projects. We will never know

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This would be true if Time Warner wasn't a publicly traded company......They are on the NYSE afterall so it's not in their best interests to lie about these figures
Actually telling the truth or misrepresenting over expenditure would benefit them tax wise.....why risk having SEC and IRS crawling up your ass ?

Disclaimer: I'm basing this on online sources such as IMDB and Box Office Mojo. Obviously there are better more efficient ways to get this information from the source but unless you are about to purchase bulk block shares in Warner or request a prospectus to invest in those subsidiaries or raise private capital for their other projects. We will never know

But they don't have to tell the truth to IMDB and Box Office Mojo that's the point I'm making. The investors know the truth, but they aren't required by law to tell IMDB and Box Office Mojo unless they are asked. It's similar to Netflix, a company that doesn't divulge any of their public information like how many subscribers they have or their ratings..they don't tell anyone except their investors and they're a publicly traded company. In fact, several articles about that issue have been written recently.

It's why WB considers it an under performing movie, same with sony and amazing spider man 2. The investors know how much money the movies need to make and they didn't hit those marks

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Seriously. He thinks were hating on it for stupid ass reasons. Will is still low key top 3 for me. NEVER wanna see his movies do bad but this shyt was shyt
Your fakkit ass couldnt even quote my posts, yet you just do some how shyt and neg me because you disagreed with it. Thats some bytch shyt at least the guy with the spidy avi and ky404 debated, but your intellectually midget ass couldnt even call me out on it, foh.

Last edited:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
Add this to the list of dumb decisions this mofo has made
It was his baby, he wrote and produced the film, it had immense potential and it had a strong black lead in a genre that was seriously lacking strong black leads (this aint no Tyler Perry flick).

He put his blood sweat and tears in that movie, but for whateever reason America didnt like it. :francis:

Last edited:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People who defended "After Earth" never said it performed Well. We were talking about the clear racial bias the critics and media showed towards the film. The same people crying "Nepotisim" didn't care when Jaden broke the box office with "The Karate Kid". The same folks didn't care when plenty of White Stars put on their kids and they become actors "Angelina Jolie, Nic Cage". That was the issue. Of course it underperformed for Will Smith standards, I said that myself. Every Will Smith Movie grosses 100 Million.

But this title is completely misquoted. Will never said he felt "Broken". He said he broke up his mind state. That's different. His mind state focused on 1 thing and 1 thing only. Success. But "After Earth" is not Will Smith's 1st under performing Film. " Wild, Wild, West, Ali, 7 Pounds and After Earth" all underperformed. Also as I said Will made the mistake making it Jaden's movie. It should of been about Will character with Jaden in a Supporting role. Will running through the Jungle it would of been a Hit or adleast do over 100 Million. When Will under performs he's in a different Microscope.

As someone mentioned, Channing Tatum is having several of under performing films yet people don't report on it like Will does. Look at Johnny Deep, I love Johnny but he can't catch a break at the box office. The bottom line is Hollywood DOES NOT want a movie like "After Earth" to succeed cause they want to continue these lies about People overseas not wanting to watch Black People. As for where does Will go from here. I think "Focus" should do pretty good. I'm torn on "Suicide Squad" but I like David Ayer so I'm Hoping he's good. Then he's got the NFL Drama "Concussion" after that he has "Hancock 2" and "Bad Boys III" on deck. Will career is fine.

:what: at the bold

That's my problem with him for picking the same f*cking movies......I want to see the original movie, I want to see him break out of typecasting, I want to see him to play a villain, play a truly dark roles like Denzel did in Flight, etc. He seems to have more whack movies/average movies than classic movies on his resume. IMO, Will Smith's characters didn't have "WOW" memorable that you would never forget that he killed "this role", where everybody gonna talk about it forever that he nailed it which he doesn't have.....but probably always gonna be In Fresh Prince of Bel Air in Father episode, "How come he doesn't want me, man" :russ: that people gonna talk about it forever but not the movies. The only best performance I've ever seen from him was The Pursuit of Happyness, that's only one I can remember. To me, he's an overrated actor. He's more like a "STAR" actor than "Great Actor". I"m just tired of him his stupid system, "SAFE" routine, etc.