Why isn't DJ Quik a bigger deal

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
East coast hated curls, perms, etc.
:russ:

I wonder why lol the first Eastcoast Rap stars had curls and Perms. They probably considered it played out by the late 80's

mic.jpg

Grandmaster_Melle_Mel_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Meh

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Yeah, Quik was wasn't a joke. Tim Dog was outta line. I bet it wasn't just the music that irked East coast folks either. I bet East coast artist, media, etc just couldn't dig anyone as regional LOOKIN as DJ Quik looked. Quik looked like a West coast mascot, and that probably didn't sit right with the East coast. He didn't sport an East coast hi top fade, he sported a West coast perm. That in and of itself probably pissed alot of East coast folks off(including Tim Dog) who were all tired of Compton getting so much shine over The East coast. East coast hated curls, perms, etc.

East coast did what they did with other coast not them..

Thing was the disses back then..u had to run into the nikkas u had fonk with...at jack tha rapper

Tim quik dee from 2nd ii none crossed paths..

Eiht nem just rap about it...Quik nem was out there they want tripping on nobody..nikkas who was cappin had to see em.

Tim saw em..copped pleas. .n dee ain't wrapped to tight his damn self..majority of the concerts quik had brawls at..dee was the instigator

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
East coast did what they did with other coast not them..

Thing was the disses back then..u had to run into the nikkas u had fonk with...at jack tha rapper

Tim quik dee from 2nd ii none crossed paths..

Eiht nem just rap about it...Quik nem was out there they want tripping on nobody..nikkas who was cappin had to see em.

Tim saw em..copped pleas. .n dee ain't wrapped to tight his damn self..majority of the concerts quik had brawls at..dee was the instigator
Yeah, on Jus Lyk Compton he talked about some of the fights he had in other locales.

Tim Dog had be g-checked a couple of times it seems, by what I've heard. He told that one story of PAC saving him. That "F Compton" track caused him alot of trouble....

:whew:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, Quik was wasn't a joke. Tim Dog was outta line. I bet it wasn't just the music that irked East coast folks either. I bet East coast artist, media, etc just couldn't dig anyone as regional LOOKIN as DJ Quik looked. Quik looked like a West coast mascot, and that probably didn't sit right with the East coast. He didn't sport an East coast hi top fade, he sported a West coast perm. That in and of itself probably pissed alot of East coast folks off(including Tim Dog) who were all tired of Compton getting so much shine over The East coast. East coast hated curls, perms, etc.

This is nonsense...I already stated that Down South fukked with Quik...meaning N Carolina and Virginia....Thats east coast.

How the hell could we not accept how Quik looked when we accepted NWA?? Quik looked exactly like someone from NWA.

Also u spitting all type of wrong info....NYC fukked with NWA....we also fukked with Digital Underground and Hammer when it was cool to do so. Cube was that dude out here.

We didnt fukk with anything WACK...and Quik was mediocre on the mic so he didnt stand out

Compton was not getting no overshine like that...Tim Dogs beef was personal because he felt Eazy E snubbed him at The Apollo. Thats all. And NYC didnt flock behind Tim Dog like that to hate on LA. A few heads sucked it up but it wasnt a universal thing.

• Dap

Magnum P.I.M.P.

Tumultuous Splendor
Daps
Reppin
Orca's c*nt
hammer n quik are aces.. at that too..

what u say hammer??

proper

I've never had issues with hammer. I played the shyt out of his music when I was 10 just like any other kid did/would have. But you can't compare him to Quik on the mic device. Hammer could out dance Quik though, no question.

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I've never had issues with hammer. I played the shyt out of his music when I was 10 just like any other kid did/would have. But you can't compare him to Quik on the mic device. Hammer could out dance Quik though, no question.
quik n hammer both can spit...

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Had no idea about any of this...

Did he go back to the neighborhood trying to provoke someone into offing him? Was it that type deal?

he was pretty much back to his gang bangin shyt..

he with suge all the time...n back fukkin with black tone...once the smoke cleared..n shyt ended at death row..

shabby bleu n other nikkas in his hood felt like he owed up...that's when quik started dissin them and other ppl..in his album credits

• Dap

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Quik is a lot of ways a producer's producer. So even in his heyday, while people fukked with his beats, I know as an East Coaster, we did put a lot of clout into rhyming, and Quik wasn't the best out as a lyricist in comparison to some of his peers. That being said his rhyming had improved a lot by Rythmalism.