White people, why do you eat bloody meat?.

Mofongo

Pro
Daps
The most common mistake people make when cooking burgers, is mashing them down and overcooking them....you probably had the first properly cooked burger in your life.
I mash em down cuz i think it makes it cook faster.

Daps
you'd have to get something that's blue rare for that to be the case. y'all just don't know any better and just base shyt off the logic of " it has to be cooked all the way thru or you'll get sick" cause that's applicable to chicken and pork.

same folks who only eat well done steak, :scusthov: at sushi....cause they "like their food cooked"
cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg
Nah breh I love sushi, and despised steak when I used to get it well done. I don't care about "it has to be cooked" I'll eat the damn thing raw if it taste good:manny:

But I tried medium rare and rare and in the centerthere's a thin layer where the meat is jelly-like. Bluerare that layer is just more pronounced.

I tried to eat it but that layer is :gag:. So I gotta eat around it.

Medium is where the meat develops that nice strip to it yet is still red and juicy:ahh:

Oh and the medium I get is more like the medium rare in that picture

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The meat isn't bloody. Its a result of the hemoglobin (protein) mixing with water in the meat. Most of the blood leaves when the animal is slaugtered.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

The Red Juice in Raw Red Meat is Not Blood
DAVEN HISKEY APRIL 20, 2010 18
Today I found out the red juice in raw red meat is not blood. Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is also why you don’t see blood in raw “white meat”; only an extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store.

So what is that red liquid you are seeing in red meat? Red meats, such as beef, are composed of quite a bit of water. This water, mixed with a protein called myoglobin, ends up comprising most of that red liquid.

In fact, red meat is distinguished from white meat primarily based on the levels of myoglobin in the meat. The more myoglobin, the redder the meat. Thus most animals, such as mammals, with a high amount of myoglobin, are considered “red meat”, while animals with low levels of myoglobin, like most poultry, or no myoglobin, like some sea-life, are considered “white meat”.

Myoglobin is a protein, that stores oxygen in muscle cells, very similar to its cousin, hemoglobin, that stores oxygen in red blood cells. This is necessary for muscles which need immediate oxygen for energy during frequent, continual usage. Myoglobin is highly pigmented, specifically red; so the more myoglobin, the redder the meat will look and the darker it will get when you cook it.

This darkening effect of the meat when you cook it is also due to the myoglobin; or more specifically, the charge of the iron atom in myoglobin. When the meat is cooked, the iron atom moves from a +2 oxidation state to a +3 oxidation state, having lost an electron. The technical details aren’t important here, though if you want them, read the “bonus factoids” section, but the bottom line is that this ends up causing the meat to turn from pinkish-red to brown.

Pro-tip: when searching for non-copyrighted pictures for an article, don’t search for “white meat” or really any variation of that on Google Image Search.

If you liked this article and the Bonus Facts below, you might also enjoy:

Bonus Facts:

• It is possible for meat to remain pinkish-red all through the cooking if it has been exposed to nitrites. It is even possible for packagers, through artificial means, to keep the meat looking pink, even after it has spoiled, by binding a molecule of carbon monoxide to produce metmyoglobin. Consumers associate pink meat with “fresh”, so this increases sales, even though the pink color has little to do with the freshness of meat.
    • Pigs are often considered “white meat”, even though their muscles contain a lot more myoglobin than most other white meat animals. This however, is a much lower concentrate of myoglobin than other “red meat”, such as cows, due to the fact that pigs are lazy and mostly just lay around all day. So depending on who you talk to, pigs can be considered white meat or red meat; they more or less sit in between the two classifications.
    • Chickens and Turkeys are generally considered white meat, however due to the fact that both use their legs extensively, their leg muscles contain a significant amount of myoglobin which causes their meat to turn dark when cooked; so in some sense they contain both red and white meat. Wild poultry, which tend to fly a lot more, tend to only contain “dark” meat, which contains a higher amount of myoglobin due to the muscles needing more oxygen from frequent, continual usage.
    • White meat is made up of “fast fibers” that are used for quick bursts of activity. These muscles get energy from glyocogen which, like myoglobin, is stored in the muscles.
    • Fish are primarily white meat due to the fact that they don’t ever need their muscles to support themselves and thus need much less myoglobin or sometimes none at all in a few cases; they float, so their muscle usage is much less than say a 1000 pound cow who walks around a lot and must deal with gravity. Typically, the only red meat you’ll find on a fish is around their fins and tail, which are used almost constantly.
    • Some fish, such as sharks and tuna, have red meat because they are fast swimmers and are migratory and thus almost always moving; they use their muscles extensively and so they contain a lot more myoglobin than most other sea-life.
    • For contrast, the white meat from chickens is made up of about .05% myoglobin with their thighs having about .2% myoglobin; pork and veal contain about .2% myoglobin; non-veal beef contains about 1%-2% of myoglobin, depending on age and muscle use.
    • The USDA considers all meats obtained from livestock to be “red” because they contain more myoglobin than chicken or fish.
    • Beef meat that is vacuum sealed, thus not exposed to oxygen, tends to be more of a purple shade. Once the meat is exposed to oxygen, it will gradually turn red over a span of 10-20 minutes as the myoglobin absorbs the oxygen.
    • Beef stored in the refrigerator for more than 5 days will start to turn brown due to chemical changes in the myoglobin. This doesn’t necessarily mean it has gone bad, though with this length of unfrozen storage, it may have. Best to use your nose to tell for sure, not your eyes.
    • Before you cook the red meat, the iron atom’s oxidation level is +2 and is bound to a dioxygen molecule (O2) with a red color; as you cook it, this iron loses an electron and goes to a +3 oxidation level, and now coordinates with a water molecule (H2O). This process ends up turning the meat brown

kdub83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bloom
I used to not mess with anything besides well done until I worked at this athletic dining hall. Every once in a while they would get steak on the menu and they would rail on me for getting it well done. Well one day they dared me to try a medium rare steak. I did it because I never tried it and I actually liked it. Haven't had a well done steak since. That was about 11 years ago. Most I'll get now is medium. Still can't bring myself to eat a rare steak yet but I will one day.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U can get a medium/medium-well steak w/o it being bloody.

So stfu:laugh:

That's what Bourdain wrote in this book about common kitchen practices.

Medium is okay. I prefer medium-rare. Medium-well, you're getting into that crap territory. Why put yourself at risk of getting served meat they would have thrown away.

I used to work at restaurants when I was in college, whenever we put in an order for a well-done steak, cooks would look at us and then at the other cooks like

Nicolas-Sarkozy-laughing.gif

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cant afford steak, im still.on that goverment cheese #jayz

You don't have to go to a restaurant to enjoy good steak. Go to a butcher, even at your grocery store and get a prime cut of ribeye. Cook it at least medium and give it a try. The diagram MegaTronBomb posted is a good guide. Best way to get a good idea of how cooked your steak is by pressing on it with your index finger. The harder it feels, the more cooked it is. Keep in mind, since you're at home, you can cut the end if you're not sure it's cooked well enough. Make sure you don't cook that shyt to oblivion though. And once it's done, let it sit for at least 5 minutes, 10 minutes is ideal. Letting the meat sit redistributes the juices throughout the meat.

Also, if you're going to a restaurant, unless they're known for their steaks, avoid ordering it. If you do, you're really better off getting it medium-rare/medium, unless you really want bottom of the barrel shyt. Personally, I would never order steak at places like Chillis, or Fridays. I don't even order steaks from Cheesecake. If I want a steak while I'm out and I don't want to pay $55 to go to Morton's or Ruth Chris, or other high end steak houses, you can get a decent one at Outback or Longhorns.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
How does that taste? I've always wanted to try it but after bytch out when ordering.
If they do it right it's juicy as hell but the centers kinda gel but in a good texture kinda way. And that flavor :ohlawd:

Once I start to get into medium-rare territory I start noticing the flavor disappearing unless they just season the hell out of it.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
I mash em down cuz i think it makes it cook faster.

you gotta do better flea, cause it doesn't... its just that when you mash them down, the juices come out and it sizzles more... you might want try making the patties with less meat and put a small dent in it, so when you cook it,it flattens out evenly.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/burger-mistakes

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you gotta do better flea, cause it doesn't... its just that when you mash them down, the juices come out and it sizzles more... you might want try making the patties with less meat and put a small dent in it, so when you cook it,it flattens out evenly.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/burger-mistakes

:bryan::bryan: I must admit I was that ignorant cat that would oder my steaks well done :upsetfavre: It wasn't until sohh/the-coli that I realized I was doing myself a disservice :blessed::blessed::blessed: ever since its been medium, medium-rare...and the experience has been nothing but :to::to: My girl still be doing that well-done shyt, but I will convert her.

Props on the burger mistake post. Ima turn into a burger gangsta on the grill this weekend :whoo: