Which Super Hero Is The Biggest "Mary Sue"?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Black Panther's greatest appeal (as evidenced by that thread questioning why he's so popular on the Coli) is being a wealthy, super genius, martial arts master African king of Mary Suetopia .
This description sounds like fan wank of a fictional character but no it's actually the character himself.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Batman and Wolverine are the worst examples I can think of.

Batman works better as a street-level character. He's a regular dude. You can't feel any tension when he's dealing with crooks and thugs when he can easily outwit and defeat gods with little/no effort.

Wolverine was that dude until the writers wore him out. Part of his whole appeal was the mystery and the fact that they used him sparingly, so when really got in you were like :krs:

When he fought those Hellfire goons in the sewers :banderas:

He got ruined when they put out too many wack stories that ruined the mystery of his past and forgot there were other dope x-men. (Especially in the movies). Sometimes the suspense is better than anything they could actually show you.

Granted, I still like both characters.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There's nothing there that would prevent him from being arm barred from behind lol

That anyone arm that moves like a human arm can be arm barred

superman is indestructible, doesn't stop weaker villains from throwing him through buildings or grabbing him

A 9 year old boy isn't hammerlocking a grown man. Strength matters a LOT.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Batman is too much of a flawed character in most of his works to be considered a Mary Sue. He pulls shyt out of his ass but that's a different discussion.

Black Panther is a good example even though I'm a fan of the character he is a perfect idol with no flaws.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I generally agree, but I don't think Squirrel Girl is a good example, as she's pretty much intended to be a gag character, who's merely a device for a corny running joke (it's time for Marvel to stop running this tired shyt into the ground) where she overachieves and beats overpowered individuals in spite of her inherent mediocrity. It's always played for laughs, whereas Mary Sue's are intended to be serious characters, but come out shytty, not believable and boring due to authors giving them Christ-like positive traits (physically, intellectually, morally perfect) and practically no flaws.

I'll give you that, in my poor defense, I hate her entirely...I also when they worf effect wolverine just to prove a point.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Black Panther is a super human, he has super strength and speed, he wears a suit that enhances his abilities, batman suit doesn't. Black Panther fought spider man toe to toe, and the Fantastic Four he has super strength. Batman does not. He's not a super power man like Captain America, he is a regular guy in a suit.

Batman is the punisher without guns

It's not a fukking comparson, you doing mary sue again

you can't equate black panther to batman in abilities

batman is on dare devil level, this why he's a mary sue, the fact we are even comparing a super powered character like Black Panther to a regular man with no extra powers.

An Arm is an Arm, to have a functional arm it has to be move in a certain way, if you have an arm, an arm bar has nothing to do with strength, unless you are defending it

you can't say the laws of physics don't apply to silver surfer, there's nothing in the comics that says that, you can't say an arm that he can bend can't be bent lol, that literally makes no sense

stop trying to insult my intelligence talking about I need to read anatomy

of course he needs strength to move his arm you fukking moron, but the amount of force needed isn't that a much

go to an mma gym it's kids in their who can put you in an armbar easily and it's not because they are stronger than you

you just did the mary sue with silver surfer, you just made up a rule that doesn't even apply to the character based on the source material, just for the sake of argument lol

just like batman would be able to judo toss superman even though he is invincible, it has nothing to do with strength

Ronda Rousey can put Brock lesnar in arm bar if he's just standing there

I completely get what you're saying but we have to ignore the "he beat x" defense, as writers have admitted that they do for big "wtf" moments to try and flex a character that hasn't been getting any love in the sales department. Also I'm not addressing him as a Mary Sue, just correcting your statements. Yes Ronda could put Brock in an armbar, however that's human physiology, SS is far from human, he naturally resists the force of g's just flying through space.

So yes, you could flip Superman over your shoulder for example...if he let you, any kind of resistance from him and you'd pull your socket clean out the joint. In the comic panel, he was made to sound like he was resisting...SS is cosmic, one does not simply....etc.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Batman and Wolverine are the worst examples I can think of.

Batman works better as a street-level character. He's a regular dude. You can't feel any tension when he's dealing with crooks and thugs when he can easily outwit and defeat gods with little/no effort.

Wolverine was that dude until the writers wore him out. Part of his whole appeal was the mystery and the fact that they used him sparingly, so when really got in you were like :krs:

When he fought those Hellfire goons in the sewers :banderas:

He got ruined when they put out too many wack stories that ruined the mystery of his past and forgot there were other dope x-men. (Especially in the movies). Sometimes the suspense is better than anything they could actually show you.

Granted, I still like both characters.

Going off this, ultimately the problem with both characters is that the writers began to realize how popular they were and started throwing other perfectly good characters into the bushes to make Wolvie and Bats look better, and blatantly breaking the "rules" of the storyline just to pander to their fanboys. Now you see both Wolverine and Batman pulling off ridiculous feats they shouldn't be able to successfully do-- just because they're popular, not because it makes any kind of sense for the story or the characters.