When Prince whooped MJ's ass in Ping Pong and talked shyt to him while doing it

Daps
I've read the story 4 times since Prince died thinking someone already posted the ping pong story here. I'm just laughing at the imagery and everybody standing around the ping pong table watching like it was Tyson vs Ali or some shyt.

The Four Signature Moments of the Prince–Michael Jackson Rivalry
By Steven Hyden

160421_BB_Prince-MJ.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

If ’80s pop can be likened to high school, Michael Jackson was the prom king who matures into a disappointing adult, whereas Prince was the quirky outcast who blossoms into an impossibly cool grown-up.

1. Michael Jackson attempts to show up Prince at a James Brown concert.

What’s interesting about the video is that members of Prince’s entourage were convinced that MJ intended to humiliate Prince, and (in their view) he succeeded. “He played a few licks, did some dancing and knocked over a prop by accident,” Alan Leeds told Vibe. “[Prince’s drummer] Bobby Z called and said, ‘Oh boy ... he made an ass of himself tonight.’” But as a mortal watching the video, I don’t think Prince looks like an ass; he looks like a god showing off for two other gods.

Something unexpected happened to Michael Jackson and Prince by the dawn of the 21st century: Jackson was so weird that he was only barely a pop star, whereas Prince was relatively less weird, which allowed him to stage a comeback. In the familiar “pathetic geek” celebrity narrative, it was as if Prince had finally matured into “normal” adulthood.

Now Jackson was the one who suffered in comparison. His story was the flip side of the pathetic geek narrative—the former prom king who grows up to be a weirdo loser. Even Prince took shots at MJ in the mid-aughts: “My voice is gettin’ higher / And I ain’t never had my nose done / That’s the other guy,” he sings on “Life o’ the Party” from Musicology.

Whats really annoying is these cacs (no im not talking about OP im talkin about the cac that wrote this shyt) tryna tell people how it is

Yes Prince has just died but there is no need to become a weirdo stan over the weekend and shyt on another icon whos passed

Like seriously even Prince stans will tell you he took an L at the James Brown concert :martin:

'Disappointing adult' ? :why:

This is what Kanye meant when he told cacs not to comment on black music anymore :why:

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
Them two had rivalry for decades. Sometimes find it funny how they're the same age (them nikkas were in the same grade :mjlol:)

This story, the time when he shaded michael Jackson by playing the guitar all loud in his face and walking away without acknowledging, to calling the opening lyrics to "Bad" :wrist:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Them two had rivalry for decades. Sometimes find it funny how they're the same age (them nikkas were in the same grade :mjlol:)

This story, the time when he shaded michael Jackson by playing the guitar all loud in his face and walking away without acknowledging, to calling the opening lyrics to "Bad" :wrist:

You know whats even crazier? Besides both of them being born in 58, they both from the most random unconventional states in Indiana and Minnesota. Shutting down people who think you gotta be from NY or LA to make it big.

We gotta make an official MJ vs Prince thread though because I think we cant help but keep making the threads.

Swagnicious

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Swagville
What happened next represents the most iconic moment in the history of sporting events between ’80s musical icons: Jackson dropped his paddle, and Prince slammed the ping-pong ball into MJ’s crotch. After Jackson left, Prince was justifiably feeling himself. “Did you see that?” he declared, according to Ronin Ro’s Prince: Inside the Music and the Masks. “He played like Helen Keller!”

t1B7CKD.gif

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reports that Prince didn’t show up because he was waylaid by an altercation between a photographer and his bodyguards outside a Mexican restaurant on the Sunset Strip led to the bizarre, only-in-’85 indignity of Billy Crystal impersonating Prince on a Saturday Night Live parody called “I Am the World.” That’s right: Prince was so reviled over “We Are the World” that Billy Crystal in blackface was considered an appropriate corrective.

:mjpls:

Swagnicious

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Swagville
Speaking of We Are The World....I always thought they just never invited Prince to do the song

If he was invited.....then what was that lil protest he did during that awards show where everyone was singing the song except him?

The one where he had a lollipop in his mouth then offered it to Quincy Jones, who for whatever reason tried to lick the shyt? :snoop:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Just like cacs to promote black beef. MJ and Prince weren't the best of friends but why bring this up after Prince past? Why not discuss his life in a positive way?
Media doesn't try to celebrate black life like that.

Notice how they're fishing for the negatives here

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
fakkit ass cac try to play mike with these bs article

Now Jackson was the one who suffered in comparison. His story was the flip side of the pathetic geek narrative—the former prom king who grows up to be a weirdo loser.