was Michael a better Godfather then Vito?

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Theyre both in my top 5 all-time from a personal perspective and from a simple movie critique perspective. Just unbelievable depth and greatness all around. The fact that so many quality discussions can be had about hundreds of different aspects of the movies really is mind blowing..especially after all these years. Let alone the fukking casting of the movies :wow::wow::wow:

Total co-sign.

I dig. I don't have a top 5 or anything, and I don't fancy myself a movie critic...but I think if everyone was put
in the same circumstances Vito or Mike were, you could understand the reasoning behind any decision they made.
The best movies to me are the ones that don't give you the awnser - you have to figure it out for yourself.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Michael was in a fukked up situation with Fredo either way.

To kill your own brother is to pretty much the most evil thing you can do man.

But to keep Fredo alive puts Michael at jeopardy because one, Fredo was jealous of him, two, Fredo almost got him and his family killed, three, Fredo would likely go against the family again in some manner because of point one, and, four, if Fredo ever got jammed up by the Feds, he'd sing like a canary.

OC's finest

All Star
Daps
I think a major theme of thr movie

Is Michael thinks he's doing everything for his family which he clearly loves

But everything he does, destroys his family in the end. All his sacrifice was for nothing. Vito corleone still had his family.

I also don't think Michael killed fredo out of anger or revenge. Michael was a very calculated dude. He killed fredo because he thought it was "best for his family" and they could not have a weak link in the family. Can you imagine how hard that must be to kill your own brother like that? To me, that is the reason Michael is the better godfather. He will do anything necessary to be the top dog, even murk his own family.

Michael > Vito when it comes to being godfather

Vito > Michael when it comes to being a family man

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I don't see it happening.. Even Vito knew Santino was not smart enough to be Don; he relied on muscle too much and by the time it was time for him to mellow down, he would have created too many enemies and the rest of the families would launch a war against the Corleones.

The truth is the father created a lifestyle that led to the downfall of all his sons.

Michael was the most equipped. But he still should have pursued something else in life.

Fredo was never built for it.

Santino was too much of a loose cannon.

Thats the tragedy.

Vito's primary/intial motivations were for his family. Eventually it ends up being the downfall of his family.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
The truth is the father created a lifestyle that led to the downfall of all his sons.

Michael was the most equipped. But he still should have pursued something else in life.

Fredo was never built for it.

Santino was too much of a loose cannon.

Thats the tragedy.

Vito's primary/intial motivations were for his family. Eventually it ends up being the downfall of his family.

Vito didn't "create" the Mob lifestyle...he just got acclimated to it very well.

ALL of Vito's motivations were his family, and his neighborhood - his "godchildren".

I mean, the only reason he got into any illegal chit was to help out his neighbor.
And that's how it seemed he lived his whole life - trying to do a favor for somebody else.

For example - can you imagine how it must've felt for him to stand up in that room with
Barzini, Tatagglia, and the rest of them muthafuccas KNOWING THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE
FOR "MASSACRING HIS BOY" and having to cut a deal with them to bring his other son home
with no blood spill? That is absolutely NOT Mob shyt - but he's willing to do that for his family.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Vito didn't "create" the Mob lifestyle...he just got acclimated to it very well.

ALL of Vito's motivations were his family, and his neighborhood - his "godchildren".

I mean, the only reason he got into any illegal chit was to help out his neighbor.
And that's how it seemed he lived his whole life - trying to do a favor for somebody else.

For example - can you imagine how it must've felt for him to stand up in that room with
Barzini, Tatagglia, and the rest of them muthafuccas KNOWING THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE
FOR "MASSACRING HIS BOY" and having to cut a deal with them to bring his other son home
with no blood spill? That is absolutely NOT Mob shyt - but he's willing to do that for his family.
Exactly. Great post.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly

They shot Sonny the fukk up man :mjcry:

71.gif

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
I liked Vito because he was loved, respected as well as feared. Mike was feared and respected but it didn't seem like the love was always there.

Michael did everything for family. I'll always respect that character trait.

I'll never forgive him for having Fredo murked tho. And he waited till his moms passed too smh.
Fredo plotted against him :what:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

The thing about a life of crime is that the GOAL should always be to turn the blood money into legit money and that should be the END of it. You don't keep it going like Michael did..like Pablo Escobar did. You get the fukk out when you are rich enough and you have frustrated the Feds enough. That's it. Go the Industrialist route and get the fukk out. It can only end in disaster or death. You can't keep being a WHITE COLLAR criminal and getting away with it with technology increasing and someone always being hungry for what's yours. It doesn't work.