Very Very Very Important Question For Those Of You Who Considers Yourself "Pro-Black/Conscious"

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Keep thinking the white man created the word nikka brehs :francis:.

If you were self conscious you would know that the word nikka comes from Ethiopia (Africa) and it means black God/king. Know thy self Black Man
giphy.gif

If I'm not mistaken, that would be "Negus", which is not the origin of the term "ni**a".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the term comes from "nigg*er" which itself comes from "negro", the Spanish word for Black (might be the same in Portuguese). So there is no origin to that term in Africa. What one may hear in intellectual setting is "negres", which is ambiguous because not in itself derogatory (as it is used by some african intellectuals) but mostly is when used by White people.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
I agree @PhonZhi but when communicating with our people its much better to speak on a level they can relate to.

That word should be eradiated from EVERYONES vocabulary...but its not realistic that everyone is gonna stop saying it overnight.

And its much more reasonable to believe that the people we are trying to get a message across to would listen to someone who speaks their language, than a Colin Powel flat out well spoken scholarly negro. People take offense and feel talked down to when using "big words" or constantly engaging in a white washed vocabulary.

I understand that its not an overnight process. I explained that in the OP. With me, it was a process of gaining PRIDE in being black and a better understanding of history. That increased my own self-esteem and racial pride.

In simply wondering how anyone whose had a similar "awakening" can still use that word. All of the "woke" people that I know in real life feels the same. They all have a disdain for that particular word.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand that its not an overnight process. I explained that in the OP. With me, it was a process of gaining PRIDE in being black and a better understanding of history. That increased my own self-esteem and racial pride.

In simply wondering how anyone whose had a similar "awakening" can still use that word. All of the "woke" people that I know in real life feels the same. They all have a disdain for that particular word.
I agree...and I'm working on that myself. Actually trying to rid ALL vulgar language. But we gotta be realistic. 400+ years of branding that word into our psyches...EVERYDAY its circulated through the airways via music/television/the internet. This is an uphill battle that will take decades if not centuries to get rid of.

We start by eliminating it from our personal vocabulary. Leading by example in our language/posts etc. That's how I personally started to understand I shouldn't use it by seeing other brothers consciously not using it.

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
If I'm not mistaken, that would be "Negus", which is not the origin of the term "ni**a".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the term comes from "nigg*er" which itself comes from "negro", the Spanish word for Black (might be the same in Portuguese). So there is no origin to that term in Africa. What one may hear in intellectual setting is "negres", which is ambiguous because not in itself derogatory (as it is used by some african intellectuals) but mostly is when used by White people.
Negus and nikka are the same. The only reason why Spain says Negus is because of the Moors who came from Africa and taught them everything they know.So the word originates from Africa

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
But you and I both know that the word is RARELY used in an uplifting manner nowadays:mindblown:

Why are y'all doing all of these mental gymnastics to keep calling yaselves that word:mindblown:

How is showing the history of the word mental gymnastics?

Shame on you for allowing white people to twist our own words of pride to destroy our legacy

So which white-sanctioned words is allowable that you can feel more comfortable saying around whites :lupe:

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Negus and nikka are the same. The only reason why Spain says Negus is because of the Moors who came from Africa and taught them everything they know.So the word originates from Africa

So you're saying that the spanish word "negro" comes from Negus? First time reading this. Everywhere else I've read that it comes from the latin niger that also gave "noir" in french, "nero" in italian.

AZBeauty

Stop lyin' nicca.
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Il
Let me ask you a question, when most black people use the word nikka are they using it in a derogatory way? In most cases the answer would be no. We have a problem with the word nikka because of how white people use the word. I'm not about to stop saying nikka just because white people can't say it. Wherever the word derived from is not the way we use it among ourselves today. We took that word and made it our own and I dont have a problem with people using it. I DO have a problem with people not using it just because white society is butthurt because they cant say without backlash. fukk them, its not their word to use, its ours and if you one of those we have to stop using it so they stop using ass mofos then I dont want to hear shyt you have to tell me. If you genuinely dont like using the word because you dont like be referred to as one than that is a whole different discussion.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
As long as that word lives, it will continue to make white people uncomfortable and remind them of Amerikkkas wicked past.

Anything that will spotlight our condition is a good thing, fukk white peoples feelings. But those in leadership positions should minimize its use because we don't need to carry Amerikkka baggage into our new society, whenever that comes about.

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
So you're saying that the spanish word "negro" comes from Negus? First time reading this. Everywhere else I've read that it comes from the latin niger that also gave "noir" in french, "nero" in italian.
Cacs ain't gonna tell you were the word comes from.They tried to muddy it up for a reason :ufdup:

Last edited:

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
I'm a nikka:umad:

Anyone who is black can call me that and i like it a lot :myman:. It's not about being pro black or no, it's about our equals.

Other races should not be allowed to say so :birdman:

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Cacs ain't gonna tell you were the word comes from.They tried to muddy it up for a reason :ufdup:

I hear you. I'm more confused by the fact black in latin is "niger", and that predates the Moors arrival in Spain. I'm guessing maybe Ancient Romans got that word from Ancient Ethiopians (plausible), which then spread to Romance languages (among which Spanish). I'm not that sure that the word "Negus" was in use among Moors, and I fail to see why they would've been calling themselves an Ethiopian word that means "King". :jbhmm:

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I hear you. I'm more confused by the fact black in latin is "niger", and that predates the Moors arrival in Spain. I'm guessing maybe Ancient Romans got that word from Ancient Ethiopians (plausible), which then spread to Romance languages (among which Spanish). I'm not that sure that the word "Negus" was in use among Moors, and I fail to see why they would've been calling themselves an Ethiopian word that means "King". :jbhmm:
Back in the day the entire Continent of Africa was called Ethiopia, thats where the Moors got it from

Micron

Pro
Daps
I understand the term "woke" based on the context that it's used in, but what is the origin of this expression? It is something I have only heard online and never in person, not in DC, ATL, Houston, Chicago, or Miami.