Top 100 Marvel Character Popularity Poll

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
What are u going by though? Opinion?I sell comics for a living. So like I indicated I am going by sales. Human Torch moves units. Marvel is very aware of this, which is why he has been their go cameo character since the company started (decades before Spider-Man and Hulk and Wolverine were even thought up). He's the first superhero to even do a cameo.

You might not think he is that big... but do your research. You can start at Marvel Comics #1
He is on the cover. :comeon:

Marvel_1_CGC9.0.jpg

that's not johnny storm though :patrice:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Unrelated... but check out what I got for a dollar at a thrift shop.

First run original from 1976 :banderas:
that's not johnny storm though :patrice:
No its not. Its Human Torch, pre-johnny storm.
(Just like Captain America is no longer Steve Rogers and Robin iss no longer dikk Grayson.)
The character is the buy-in, not the identity.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
Unrelated... but check out what I got for a dollar at a thrift shop.

First run original from 1976 :banderas:

No its not. Its Human Torch, pre-johnny storm.
(Just like Captain America is no longer Steve Rogers and Robin iss no longer dikk Grayson.)
The character is the buy-in, not the identity.

not really....toro and jim are obscure characters. the human torch everyone is familiar with and the one that was mentioned on the list is johnny storm. the "buy in" would be in this case would be johnny storm due to the obscurity of the other two. if the human torch sold comics then he's doing a piss poor job for the F4.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
not really....toro and jim are obscure characters. the human torch everyone is familiar with and the one that was mentioned on the list is johnny storm. the "buy in" would be in this case would be johnny storm due to the obscurity of the other two.

You talking bout Toro from all-winners?
wow... haven't heard that name in a minute.

But no, you are incorrect. The Human Torch is what people are interested in, not the id. Certain iterations will always be previllant (the Hal vs Kyle arguement) but as I said with the Grayson example... whether Grayson, Drake, Damian, Carrie Kelly, Jason Todd... etc the buy-in is Robin. The average consumer can't even id all the iterations of the legacy.

You can disagree, but the marketing is steadfast.
Thats why you will never see 'featuring Johnny Storm' pr 'featuring Rich Hammond' its always Human Torch.

Same way they don't push Miquel as Miquel or Peter Parker as Peter Parker. They are Spider-Man cause thats what sells... and at this point even Peter Parker doesn't know if he is himself or Ben Riely. Completely doesn't matter tho. Put the mask down get out there and dance, and the comic will sell.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Oh hey @Dirty Mcdrawz before I forget.. if you want a case study in why this is like it is, look up a chick called Misfit. She is a classic example. She was positioned to be a batgirl, but the editor thought he could build her brand simply by doing everything the batgirls do, putting her in Birds of Prey, basicallt making her a batgirl in all-but the name... but she completely flopped. The name is what carried Cassandra and the other batgirls after Barbara regardless of the strength or defeciency of the character. Also why things like Bruce Wayne agent of SHEILD flopped but the Batman comic can keep right on going with Grayson as Batman not Bruce. Its all in the name and character, not the id.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

But no, you are incorrect. The Human Torch is what people are interested in, not the id. Certain iterations will always be previllant (the Hal vs Kyle arguement) but as I said with the Grayson example... whether Grayson, Drake, Damian, Carrie Kelly, Jason Todd... etc the buy-in is Robin. The average consumer can't even id all the iterations of the legacy.

Thats why you will never see 'featuring Johnny Storm' pr 'featuring Rich Hammond' its always Human Torch.

Same way they don't push Miquel as Miquel or Peter Parker as Peter Parker. They are Spider-Man cause thats what sells... and at this point even Peter Parker doesn't know if he is himself or Ben Riely. Completely doesn't matter tho. Put the mask down get out there and dance, and the comic will sell.

Breh, the clone saga refutes your last statement

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
*Sees 100. Knows list will be shytty*

*scrolls down to top 10*

:dead:

*sees top 2*

:deadmanny:

Rogue number 4. Some wack ass named Magik in the top 20 and ABOVE Hulk. Dem nerds are wack. :camby: :pacspit:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The clone sage is where that is from... but ok.

No the fact that it was hated and reviled and they had to scramble to bring Peter back means that no matter how marvel wants to sell it, Peter is the draw for spider man. Now eventually you had a group of kids become adults who looked back fondly on it which is why they brought back Ben and Kaine but initially it was bushes status and marvel did all they could to neuralize it out of existence.

Even Miles, who's loved now, wasn't greeted with the best welcome because people are stuck on Peter. Superior spider-man? They were calling for Dan Slott's head on a pike and he actually received death threats on Twitter but once everyone calmed down and saw what he was doing and where he was going, they loved it. But you know what they loved more? Peter being back in the costume.

Slapping spider man on a book isn't automatically going to make it sell because it does matter who's in the costume and that's the reason he's stood the test of time as a character.

notPsychosiz

Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
No the fact that it was hated and reviled and they had to scramble to bring Peter back means that no matter how marvel wants to sell it, Peter is the draw for spider man. Now eventually you had a group of kids become adults who looked back fondly on it which is why they brought back Ben and Kaine but initially it was bushes status and marvel did all they could to neuralize it out of existence.

Even Miles, who's loved now, wasn't greeted with the best welcome because people are stuck on Peter. Superior spider-man? They were calling for Dan Slott's head on a pike and he actually received death threats on Twitter but once everyone calmed down and saw what he was doing and where he was going, they loved it. But you know what they loved more? Peter being back in the costume.

Slapping spider man on a book isn't automatically going to make it sell because it does matter who's in the costume and that's the reason he's stood the test of time as a character.

The instances you are refering to are all true, but the key feature in them all is that they not only changed the ID, they changed Spider-Man himself as a character so that the user could differentiate and the company could greedily have multiple spider-men. For example, each comes with costume changes and visual look changes that piss ppl off more-so than than anyhing else. Same type of backlash was received when they tried to use the Iron-Spider costume (which was Peter Parker). Parker was the same... still was Spider-Man... but he didn't look classic so ppl complained. The reason I used the Batman example as a flawless legacy transition is because when a new robin takes over or even when Grayson became the new Batman, the look and vibe of the character was undisturbed for the most part.

Take the tv shows. They are using aspects of Wally West, Barry and Bart Allen... (really even Max Mercury but I won't go there) and smashing them all into the character known as Flash. The people that even know to care (like myself) are so far outnumbered that it doesn't matter overall.

One thing you mentioned is the reason why none of it really matters tho... its what you said about Marvel neutralizing it.
The backpeddling with retconning and arcs like One More Day, and full reboots make it so ultimately you are simply following the character of Spider-Man because a large chunk of what you love about Parker hasn't happened anymore, was undone, happened in a parallel dimension, was all a dream... etc

The only constant is the hero. His whole marraige was erased, backstory changed... its impossible to navigate.

Like what I was reffering to with the clone saga. It isn't that it did not happen as I said, the disconnect is that you have read something later that made it unhappen or dismissed it that I myself missed or ignored or something. So we don't even have the same understanding of Peter Parker. We only both know Spider-Man.

Thats the way of comics. :wow:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The instances you are refering to are all true, but the key feature in them all is that they not only changed the ID, they changed Spider-Man himself as a character so that the user could differentiate and the company could greedily have multiple spider-men. For example, each comes with costume changes and visual look changes that piss ppl off more-so than than anyhing else. Same type of backlash was received when they tried to use the Iron-Spider costume (which was Peter Parker). Parker was the same... still was Spider-Man... but he didn't look classic so ppl complained. The reason I used the Batman example as a flawless legacy transition is because when a new robin takes over or even when Grayson became the new Batman, the look and vibe of the character was undisturbed for the most part.

Take the tv shows. They are using aspects of Wally West, Barry and Bart Allen... (really even Max Mercury but I won't go there) and smashing them all into the character known as Flash. The people that even know to care (like myself) are so far outnumbered that it doesn't matter overall.

One thing you mentioned is the reason why none of it really matters tho... its what you said about Marvel neutralizing it.
The backpeddling with retconning and arcs like One More Day, and full reboots make it so ultimately you are simply following the character of Spider-Man because a large chunk of what you love about Parker hasn't happened anymore, was undone, happened in a parallel dimension, was all a dream... etc

The only constant is the hero. His whole marraige was erased, backstory changed... its impossible to navigate.

Like what I was reffering to with the clone saga. It isn't that it did not happen as I said, the disconnect is that you have read something later that made it unhappen or dismissed it that I myself missed or ignored or something. So we don't even have the same understanding of Peter Parker. We only both know Spider-Man.

Thats the way of comics. :wow:

But ignoring something in continuity makes no sense to me breh. I could ignore that they retconned his marriage all day long but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Peter Parker is just as famous as spider man. Just like Bruce Wayne and batman even though Bruce isn't the only one to have worn the cowl. He's still batman to the public at large.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps

ok breh...

1. Marvel #1 isn't The Human Torch's first cameo its his first appearance period and soon after he became one of the first super heroes to get a solo book. His appearin Marvel Mysterious don't count as cameos.

2. The Human Torch was extremely popular during 40s -50s

3. @R=G was talking about Johnny Storm and the CBR list was clearly talking about Johnny Storm hence the * by The Human Torch

4. The Human Torch isn't a buy in character because there's no legacy connection between Jim and Johnny which is why your robin analogy doesn't work, especially since they both operated as The Human Torch at the same time. One will always be more popular than the other.