The OA Official [Discusion Thread]

5StarElite

All Star
Daps
Reppin
In the ocean where the sharks be at
its even worse after reading the explanation....

So, let’s get to the burning question: Is the OA telling the truth? Or is that the question you want the audience to be asking?

Marling: I think there is something really delicious in the mystery about questioning the storyteller’s truth. Certainly, you go back and forth on it. As an audience member, the boys are kind of your surrogate. I think just as the boys go back and forth on the truth of her story, you do, too. I think the place it kind of ultimately arrives at is that it maybe doesn’t matter as much the details are true, because there’s some essential core that she’s imparting that smacks of honesty. Whether part of the story is a metaphor, or it is a literal truth, tends to matter less when you get to the end and see that the DNA of the story contains something that just this group needed.

Batmanglij: I guess I believe the trauma in her story is true. Maybe she couldn’t tell her story as it actually happened, but she experienced something. I don’t think the details matter. I think that there are lots of different interpretations. I think that’s what’s going to make it fun, if people do connect to it. If people see the show.

Do you believe her?

Marling: It’s funny, Zal and I a couple of years ago had this tiny film called “Sound of My Voice,” and we made it for very little money. It had an ending that was very open. It was about this woman who claimed to be a time traveler living in the basement of her house in the San Fernando Valley. What was really cool about the ending is that there was something conclusive that happened. Peter, the person who we’re experiencing the story through, is a deep skeptic, and by the end, you can tell his skepticism is more broken. It is open-ended as to whether or not she was really a time traveler. The delicious thing about that is the audience really takes sides. We would do Q&As, and be like, “How many people think she’s a time traveler?” Half of the audience raise their hands for this. “How many people think she’s not?” All the other half. I think it revealed something about how you think about the world.

I think we felt that’d really be good about the ending of this, that our interpretation is less important than the audience’s. Certainly as an actor playing a part, I have to believe it as I’m playing it, but as writers, we’ve always maintained the idea that our interpretations of them doesn’t matter as much as the audience’s. There’s no right or wrong answer, it’s just what you feel, which is kind of what being alive is like. If you’re going to have faith in something, you have to have it in the face of incredible doubt. Nobody can take your doubt away.

source - ‘The OA’ Creators Explain Netflix’s Mysterious New Drama (SPOILERS)

:snoop:
Exactly.:trash:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
its even worse after reading the explanation....

So, let’s get to the burning question: Is the OA telling the truth? Or is that the question you want the audience to be asking?

Marling: I think there is something really delicious in the mystery about questioning the storyteller’s truth. Certainly, you go back and forth on it. As an audience member, the boys are kind of your surrogate. I think just as the boys go back and forth on the truth of her story, you do, too. I think the place it kind of ultimately arrives at is that it maybe doesn’t matter as much the details are true, because there’s some essential core that she’s imparting that smacks of honesty. Whether part of the story is a metaphor, or it is a literal truth, tends to matter less when you get to the end and see that the DNA of the story contains something that just this group needed.

Batmanglij: I guess I believe the trauma in her story is true. Maybe she couldn’t tell her story as it actually happened, but she experienced something. I don’t think the details matter. I think that there are lots of different interpretations. I think that’s what’s going to make it fun, if people do connect to it. If people see the show.

Do you believe her?

Marling: It’s funny, Zal and I a couple of years ago had this tiny film called “Sound of My Voice,” and we made it for very little money. It had an ending that was very open. It was about this woman who claimed to be a time traveler living in the basement of her house in the San Fernando Valley. What was really cool about the ending is that there was something conclusive that happened. Peter, the person who we’re experiencing the story through, is a deep skeptic, and by the end, you can tell his skepticism is more broken. It is open-ended as to whether or not she was really a time traveler. The delicious thing about that is the audience really takes sides. We would do Q&As, and be like, “How many people think she’s a time traveler?” Half of the audience raise their hands for this. “How many people think she’s not?” All the other half. I think it revealed something about how you think about the world.

I think we felt that’d really be good about the ending of this, that our interpretation is less important than the audience’s. Certainly as an actor playing a part, I have to believe it as I’m playing it, but as writers, we’ve always maintained the idea that our interpretations of them doesn’t matter as much as the audience’s. There’s no right or wrong answer, it’s just what you feel, which is kind of what being alive is like. If you’re going to have faith in something, you have to have it in the face of incredible doubt. Nobody can take your doubt away.

source - ‘The OA’ Creators Explain Netflix’s Mysterious New Drama (SPOILERS)

:snoop:
I said I would watch a season 2 but I might have to take that back :snoop:

These muthafukkas just making shyt up and don't know where the story is going smh

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I said I would watch a season 2 but I might have to take that back :snoop:

These muthafukkas just making shyt up and don't know where the story is going smh
Yeah I might be doing the same.

The fusion dance was gay af and now that I know that it's one of those "open for interpretation" shyts and not actuall sci-fi ( Life of Pi was like that BUT it was a lot more interesting) I might not be back for season 2.

It was interesting at first, but they basically saying the just making a weird show with no real direction

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I have it in my queue. But I still haven't watched 3% yet. Just too many damn shows these days!

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I CANNOT BELIEVE I JUST SAT THROUGH THIS fukk shyt. ALL THAT FOR THAT CAFETERIA BULLshyt. I'M LEGIT MAD.

:stopitslime::lolbron::mjlol::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash::trash:
that shyt was funny as fukk though wasnt it :mjlol:

im mad nobody made a gif of that shyt yet

Last edited:

SalamiAttack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Ancient City of Brooklyn
shyt is Lit, brehs.

giphy.gif

:takedat:

giphy.gif

:ohhh:

giphy.gif

:mjgrin:

AWAY WITH YOU, Bish!!! :camby:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Sooo should I watch this? First episode piqued my interest but I'm hesitant if it's all bullshyt